Center for Biblical Theology and Eschatology
The Mountain of the Lord
- "The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
- And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
- And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
- And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
erusalem's warfare is accomplished and her iniquity pardoned because Christ has come to His Holy mountain made it a Retreat and Refuge for those who are troubled. The Mountain of the Lord is a synonym referring to "The House of the Lord." With the coming of Peace in Christ, we beat our swords into plowshares illustrating that we no longer take the sword in warfare with God, but are become husbandmen or plowmen for Him. A plowshare is the name of the main cutting blade of a plow, which is used to cultivate the soil for planting. Indeed, this mountain of the Lord's House is no earthly mountain as one might suppose. The Mountain of the Lord is a Holy and Spiritual sanctuary, the retreat of Spiritual Zion (Sion) where God dwells with His people. It is representing the holy center of God's Kingdom, the foundational building of those in Christ.
1st Peter 2:5
The Lord's people are living stones built up into a spiritual house wherein is offered spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable to God through Christ Jesus. This is an illustration that we are that building of Sion in Christ. Which is why the scriptures declare that,
- "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ."
1st Peter 2:6
That stone has been laid in spiritual Sion, in thea spiritual Mountain Retreat of a Spiritual house. So let us go up to this mountain of the LORD, that we may walk in His paths and be taught of His ways. For now are the gates wide open, that all nations might come and gather and learn of the Lord. In Isaiah God promises His people that all the nations shall flow into the Mountain of the Lord where they will be taught of God (Isaiah 2:2; John 6:45; 1st John 2:27) and never learn war anymore. Let us rejoice in the truth that this prophesy has been fulfilled in Christ that none can hurt or destroy in His Holy Mountain (Isaiah 11:9), for through the great commission of the Church, all the earth is full of the knowledge of the LORD.
- "Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded."