[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: This Generation Shall Not Pass Until All be Fulfilled  (Read 19719 times)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: This Generation Shall Not Pass Until All be Fulfilled
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2017, 06:02:38 AM »
>>>
Even the Preterists know that's wrong.
<<<

Well, even the Catholics know Dispensationalism is wrong! Does that carry any weight with you? Or even the Mormons know Predestination is wrong! That doesn't change my mind concerning Scripture.  Preterists think they know that a lot of things are wrong, but how many would you agree with on your doctrines? So the point is, it doesn't matter how many people think something is wrong. Truth is not by consensus or agreement with man's words, it is by consensus and agreement with God's word. When I look for agreement with God's word, I find that generation is a posterity, seed or children of evil--what Christ called a evil, adulterous generation of vipers. He said this is a wicked generation. It all points to the children of the Devil, not all people of a certain specific age.

Proverbs 30:12
  • "There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness."

What generation (time period) is that? Was there one specific generation that was pure in their own eyes? No, these people are that generation that Christ called the generation of darkness that were in some ways wiser than the children of light? This is the family that proverbs says is the vain and filthy. Because there's never been one generation at one specific time (generation), that were pure in their own eyes and not washed from their filthiness, they exist throughout the history of the world. They are all the children of the Devil at all times who are unwashed.

>>>
What is it, a secret that no one knows but Tony?
<<<

It does remain a secret or mystery to the lofty spirit, but by grace of God many can know it  through the humility in the Spiritual wisdom of Christ Jesus. Never through vain intelligence, blind tradition, the hard heart, obstinance, or the wisdom of the world. Blessed are the meek, humble and contrite of spirit.

Psalms 51:17
  • "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

Sacrifices that are Spiritual is what God desires. Humility is in truly understanding how much you've got to know, before you learn how little you know. Selah.

>>>
 If you really want to know what the meaning is, read  some of the writers from Dallas Theological Seminary. You'll find your answers.
<<<

True you may find "your" answers, but will you find God's answers? So yes, that is one way to look at it--another is that if you really want to know what the meaning is, read the Bible, which is God's unadulterated and infallible word that (unlike the words of men) can never be wrong, inaccurate, contradictory or false. Lest we forget, the Scribes, Pharisees, Elders and Chief Priest, all studied in their own institutions of higher learning, and for all their learning, they were all still very wrong concerning Scripture weren't they?

2nd Timothy 3:7
  • "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Obstinance and arrogance does that to you. Preachers and institutions may teach many things, but the true nature and Spirit of God's WORD and His Kingdom they often miss. This because they neglect the most basic rule of sound hermeneutics. "Interpretations belong to God!" So close and yet so far off.

>>>
Luke 17:25
But first he must suffer many things and be rejected of this generation.
<<<

He wasn't rejected of John the Baptist or others who were the election. So the question is, by whom did He suffer and by whom was rejected? Was it the chosen generation of Jews that were His apostles and followed with him, or was it the evil generation of vipers that hated and persecuted Him? We don't have to guess because as I said, interpretations belong to God. As it is written, let God be true and every man a liar.

Mark 8:31
  • "And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again."

He taught "who" that "who" would cause Him suffering and reject him? Here we see God's declaration of what generation He suffered many things and was rejected of. It wasn't a generation as in all the children of that age or period of time, but those who were children of the devil. Those who insulted, reviled and hated Him. Once again we find that interpretations belong to God, not the seminaries, theological institutions, vaunted Priests, Pastors and Televangelists.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
I'll admit that I had never even heard of this understanding of the phrase "this Generation" until I came to this website this year

That's because Tony Warren doesn't know what he is talking about. Obviously! Don't you think someone else would have come to this conclusion long ago if it had any merit?  A generation is around 30 - 40 years according to scholars and academia.

"A generation is "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively." It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during ... Wikipedia"

"the entire body of individuals born and living at about the same time. ... Dictionary.com"

So taking Scripture literally, that would be the people around to witnessed Christ and his crucifixion.  Words have known meanings, not unknown meanings.

Trevor

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2018, 01:35:08 AM »
 )hammerhead( )hammerhead( )hammerhead( )hammerhead( )hammerhead( )hammerhead( )hammerhead(

George. Since you seem so enthralled with the words of Hebrew scholars, how about going to the biblical scholars rather than Wikapedia who knows about as much about scripture as King Herod did. For example James Strong, noted biblical scholar, educator and the creator of Strong's Concordance, defines the word in Genesis 5 that refers to "the book of the Generations of Noah" as towldah. He says the word means "descent, ie. family, the history thereof, birth or the generations or families from that birth. So perhaps instead of looking to dictionary.com for explanations of biblical terms, you should educate yourself on the way God's people used the term. Strong's concordance says the root word of towldah is yalad, and that word means to bear young, lineage through birth, or to bring forth children. The same in the Greek as Tony already demonstrated quite clearly. It means family.

Matthew 12:33-34
"Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh."

Christ is saying that the work of these wicked are like fruit generated or born of the evil tree, they came forth from a tree that cannot bear good fruit. That is why Christ called them a generation of vipers. In that context, they are generated and have the nativity of vipers. In other psrts Christ calls them children of the devil. They are the family of the serpent and that from their mouths is not good fruit.

Another very enlightening thing to note is that the Hebrew word towlad also shares the same root word yalad, which is the same as towldah. Towlad means children or one's posterity. If you study the Hebrew concordance you will see that the word yalad, the root word for both towlad and towldah, means to bear young, to beget, show lineage, to bring forth children (James Strong). So if you take these words very literally as you claim, then there would be no question that the word generation means descent, which is another word for children or family. Which is why Christ calls the children of the Devil a generation of vipers. Because they were his descent, family lineage, children, posterity, etc.

So I think that Tony Warren knows a lot more about scripture and biblical scholarship than dictionary.com, or you for that matter. It's not a question of if this is true or not, but of denial of Biblical facts by Christians predisposed to rejecting facts. Facts that you could check out yourself if you were so inclined to know the actual truth of the matter.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
I'm not saying it couldn't mean children of vipers in that context, but in the context we're discussing it means that generation living at that time.

Matt. 23:36
"Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation."

This is the context, not what you are bringing up.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]