[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Math programs?  (Read 6285 times)

Garet86

Math programs?
« on: October 26, 2004, 06:21:09 PM »
Does any one know of a good math program for homeschoolers? My mind learns differently when it comes to math, I am more of a visual learner when it comes to that. But I am 18 right now and I have not even started algebra 1. After a while my parents gave up trying to teach me math, so I have not really done much there, so I was wondering if there are schools for this or people who are great at teaching and making sense of math for people like me.

Christ_Alone

• Reformed & ever reforming... by His grace
    • Here We Stand
Re: Math programs?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 07:06:51 AM »
Hi Garet,

I do know of a math program that was created specifically for visual learners - and it's a huge success for pretty much everyone I've ever known, that uses it.  You can start it at any age/level, and you can even take a placement test (free) to see where you really are.

Check it out: www.mathusee.com
In His love... CA

CrossFade

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 12:31:13 AM »
Well, the parents don't know what they are doing, so I guess I have to figure out math on my own. This life is going to be very hard now, who knows how I am going to get through college if at all now.

Ignorance. To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the disease of the "ignorance".

gordonh

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 11:01:54 AM »
CrossFade,

Please forgive me but I had to chuckle at your post. We all face circumstances that make it look like "life is going to very hard now".  We all have to remember the same thing.

Phil 4:19   But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Having parents who don't understand math is not an unusual problem.   Fortunately, there are several forms of help available to you.  What level of math are you working on?  There are several "internet" options including on-line tutoring - probably from the same book you are using.  Also, are you near any community colleges?  I know that here in So. Cal. the community colleges teach math classes from very basic arithmetic to calculus - many are taught at the high school next door and are open to anyone.

Besides, what could be more fun than digging through a math book, pounding on problems relentlessly until finally under the wise application of the principles you've learned - they relent and the answer appears.

I know, I'm sick, I need professional help.

Really, put together a post of what you are looking for and I am sure that people here can help you find the help you need.

GordonH

CrossFade

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 11:03:10 PM »
I would say I am on like what, 5th grade math right now. And right now I just need to get ready for college, somehow. I don't think that is going to happen, but I have little faith. It takes all I am to believe sometimes.

gordonh

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
CrossFade,

Have you or your parents looked at an on-line math tutoring system like SmartZoid? (or something like it)  I don't think they are ultra expensive and they have lessons from early grades through pre-college math.  I would at least give it a try. 

You said you were at about a 5th grade level in math & worried about college,   How soon do you need to be ready for college?

Of course, you could always post some of your math questions here, there is bound to be a rocket scientist (ot two) among the resident theologians. 

Don't lose hope, after it finally clicks, math is not that hard.  You just need to find the way you learn best.

GordonH

Baerchild

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 01:16:04 PM »

I know, I'm sick, I need professional help.

GordonH,

hahaha, good one!

Hey, are you an expert in English also?  You may find this hard to believe, but I could use a little help in sentence structure and punctuation [not to mention spelling]...or is sentence structure the same as punctuation?  Do you do English lessons?

Jim

gordonh

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
Sorry Jim, I am strictly a geek.  My wife (who is the lit/english type) looks at what I write and cringes. She says I use commas like speed bumps!   At work, I write a page or so which I think pretty well states a solution; they give my stuff to someone who can really write and viola! it's 10 pages of text that people can actually read and undeerstand.

It would be interesting to see if anyone offers on-line writing classes. It seems like something that would work, just email docs back & forth.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Gordon H

Baerchild

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

GordonH,

But what about MrsGordonH...is she a Christian...does she love The Word of God?

Jim

gordonh

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 07:21:52 PM »
Jim,
To my great fortune, she is one of God's own. She is however, not able to take on any projects right now.   

Thanks

GordonH

gordonh

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »
Jim,

Just a couple of things. My wife will not be able to take the time to help out on this project. She had been ill for several years and while getting better, she still has to budget her activity level pretty closely, so for the near term future she is not available.  She did say that perhaps you could have someone read your essay aloud to you.  Then rearrange things until it sounds right when they read it.   They read it the way you wrote it, not the way you thought it.

Second, you have unknowingly stepped on a “fatherly advice land mine” .  :^)  Since I am at work and this is email I will keep it short and sweet.  I have no idea how old you are or if you are married, but when you wrote “...work on her...”    the trigger was tripped.  (I know you wrote it with a smile on your face)

This summer I will have been married for 25 years.  It took me a good long time to realize that when God says the two shall become one flesh, He meant it.  If I “work on my wife” to get her to do something I want, or let me do something I want – not just this but really important things like fishing trips – what do I get.  I get what I want at the price of my wife’s feelings.  I have applied enough pressure, to make her feel uncomfortable enough, to relent and do it my way.   You can get away with this for a while, but you’re not really getting away with it.   When you cause your wife stress, you are causing stress for yourself if you are really one flesh.  It’s hard to feel good about fishing, when you think about the price.

Interestingly, the reverse works much better.  If I worry about what my wife needs, what she wants – she is doing the same thing for me.  I could make this a mile long but to cut to the chase. It takes away all of that “pressure” .  It makes you feel good about what you are doing, instead of guilty. It builds your relationship instead of wearing on it.   And guess what – instead of begging my wife to let me go fishing, she is telling me “You’ve been helping me all week – get outa here and go fishing”. 

Sorry about the lecture, but you stepped on the button and there was nothing I could do.

P. S.  Most of the time I don’t even go fishing when she tells me to.  It just feels good knowing she wants me to.

GordonH

Baerchild

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »
GordonH,

Please thank MrsGordonH for me...her suggestion is greatly appreciated.  And you are correct, I was smiling.

btw, good equipment is essential for successful fishing.  Do you use a barbed hook or are you of the catch and release school?  A sharp hook really helps...whether the fish likes it or not. 

Jim

gordonh

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:40:27 AM »
Jim,
Feel free to email me and I will tell you about bass fishing in So. Cal. (From a bumbler's view point). I am not too sure that Tony wants a fishing thread.  My email is in envelope under my name.

GordonH

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]