[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Sukkot or The Feast of Tabernacles  (Read 5451 times)

ray

Re: The Sukkot or The Feast of Tabernacles
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »
Should Christians observe the Jewish Holidays and Feast days such as Israel's Sukkot? Despite what Tony Warren and Erik post, I say yes we should. Especially Jewish Christians and those who love Israel.
............................ ..

So David, you want to observe the Feast of Tabernacles, you do realise that you need to do so to the letter of the Law, and not only that , but observe all the Law . But one thing at a time , we'll just start at the Feast Of Tabernacles.

Leviticus 23:36
Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord; on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation  unto you ; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord : it is a solemn assembly ; and ye shall do no servile therein.

Already we are presented with a dilemna, do we go with our law observance or do we take heed of the revelation of law observance according to the writer of Hebrews.

Hebrews 10:6-10

# Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
# In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
# Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
# Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
# Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
# By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

Sadly David , this isn't even a debate as to whether we should observe Jewish traditions or not, because anyone who seeks to justify their behaviour in this regard has already missed the point. The issue here is whether one is circumcised of the heart, the ordinances were of little regard if one's heart was elsewhere.

Psalm 51:16
For thou desirest not sacrifice ; else I would give it : thou delightest not in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart O God , thou wilt not despise.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »
    >>>
     The onus is on you to show from scripture why we shouldn't participate in the feast days, yet you supplied no reasons, simply asking for scripture as if it is forbidded.
    <<<

As is nearly always the case with those who treat scripture as if they have a blindness to it, the scriptures were given and of course, you ignored them. The reasons (with scriptures) were given so the onus is on you to give retort how those scriptures were wrong (God forbid), out of context, misinterpreted or wrested/twisted. If you cannot do that, then we can only assume that the scriptures presented were right on target, you know that, and so you willfully "choose" not to address these pertinent passages. That's your prerogative, but I fail to see how that promotes any useful and productive Biblical discussion. All that's left without Biblical backing is your personal opinion on the Biblical issues, or what God's word calls, "Private Interpretation."

Genesis 40:8
    • "And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you."

Indeed interpretations do belong to God. Not to me, and not to you. Sure, I could likewise proclaim that since the Jewish law says that a woman that bears a man child shall be unclean for two weeks and must sacrifice two turtledoves, we as Christians should revisit "those Jewish ceremonial laws in remembrance of the historical significance and as a good way to recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith." And I'd be foolish (Biblically speaking) for saying so. Because it would be based on nothing more than my personal need to exalt or reverence the people of the nation of Israel, rather than the Israel of God--which is Christ, and all those in Him. We shouldn't participate in the Old Testament Jewish feast days for the same reason we shouldn't participate in the Jewish laws of uncleanness and sacrifices and Holy days. They are a rejection of the true having fulfilled the type.

>>>
    I gave you 4 solid biblical reasons why we do so.
    <<<

No, you gave 4 reasons why Christ came as the true fulfillment of those Old Testament Feasts/Observances, which merely served as a shadow or projection of the true thing or object that was coming, which was Christ. As the shadow comes first, and then the true comes that it was merely a silhouette of, one cannot go back to the shadow. It is the thing that is past.

Hebrews 10:1-10
    • "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things.."

Those laws prefigured Israel's eternal festival or feast that could only be completed in the coming Christ. To go back to the shadow would be confession that the true which it is a shadow of has not come yet. Which of course the nation of Israel most assuredly does. Thus, they keep those old Testament feasts as if the Messiah has not come. But this is something that true Christians should never do.

Of course, what you do is your own business, but don't try and support Christians observing Old Testament feasts days with the nation of Israel, because it is contrary to the doctrines of Christ and the acceptance of His fulfillment.

>>>
    (1) we celebrate the Jewish holy days because they are infused with spiritual and prophetic significance.
    <<<

The spiritual significance is that Christ is come to be the Tabernacle that we feast in, the feast that causes God to pass over us in the day of judgment, the feast of weeks or Pentecost wherein the great bounty of the Spirit was brought to fruition.

And the prophetic significance is that it was already fulfilled in Christ, and thus should not be celebrated as the shadow anymore. What part of Christ being our Passover, our Tabernacle, our Pentecost from heaven is made unclear by the scriptures. And if it is clear, then it is clear it is completed in Him, and so we are not to "turn again" to these [skias], or silhouettes that pointed to it. The nation of Israel observes these because they do not understand their significance, nor that Messiah has already come. We should never fall prey to that same sort of bondage, not understanding the law.

Matthew 5:17
    • "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

That doesn't mean keep observing circumcision, passover feasts, trips to Jerusalem 3 times a year, etc. That means, Christ has come and He has fulfilled these laws on your behalf. Christ didn't destroy the law, he [pleroo] fulfilled or satisfied it.

>>>
    (2) We celebrate the Jewish holy days because they have great historic significance that shouldn't be forgotten.
    <<<

Nonsense. The great historical significance is that the children of Israel observed them as silhouettes or projections of the only feast that could be kept eternally. Observe it so it shouldn't be forgotten? Yes, and the reason Christians never forget historical events is because they read the scriptures earnestly, not because they go back to observe ceremonial laws that have long since passed away into history. It is because this history is hidden in our hearts, that we will never forget.

Psalms 119:15-19
    • "I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
    • I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
    • Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.
    • Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
    • I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me."

This is how we never forget the biblical history recorded in the scriptures. It is not by "turning back" to ceremonies that have passed away in Christ, but by having the Word in us that we not turn back to old ways that would bring us again into bondage. These old ceremonies looked forward to the New.

Hebrews 8:13
    • "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

The old law, of dead works and ceremonies is gone, and replaced by the New, the works of the law fulfilled or satisfied in Christ Jesus. In other words, the law fulfilled in the Grace of God.

>>>
    (3) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to teach about God's acts of redemption.
    <<<

The Jewish holy days didn't teach the Jews about God's act of redemption, so you presume too much. What teaches us about God's acts of redemption is the Holy Spirit, not observing Old Testament ceremonies. Using your philosophy, we would also go back to sacrificing animals as the Jewish people did, in order to teach about God's acts of redemption. Surely you can see the folly in this line of thinking. Just as the Feast and Holy days, those laws were shadows pointing to the true. Consider God's explanation in Hebrews:

Hebrews 9:22-24
    list]p
    • "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
    • It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
    • For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:"

These laws were merely to show patterns, figures, shadows, projections of the true thing. The Real thing is Christ, that came to consummate or satisfy those patterns. The law concerning the earthly tabernacle or sanctuary into which the Priests entered only looked forward to the heavenly tabernacle or sanctuary into which Christ has entered. The law of purging sin by the blood sacrifice of an animal was merely a pattern of the true sacrifice, the only one that truly could purge sin. We would not "turn back" to sacrificing animals again because we know that has all been fulfilled. likewise, the feasts looking forward to Christ.

>>>
    (4) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith.
    <<<

the "Good News" is that the WAY to recover the Jewish Roots of the Christian faith is in the man Jewish man Israel. THEE only way in which anyone can recover their Jewish roots. certainly not in earthly ceremonies that clearly imply Christ has not yet come.

Revelation 22:16
    • "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

Without this Root, the branches of the Olive tree are cut off, withers and dies. Both natural branches as well as other branches. There is no difference. The Root of the Jewishness of the Christian faith can only be secured in Christ. Without Him, a Jew is not a Jew in God's eyes, and with Him, a Non-Jew is a Jew in His eyes. Which really, are the only eyes that count.

Romans 2:28-29
    • "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
    • But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

So when you say, we celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith, you totally miss the point. God's point! Which is, we recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith, not in returning to observe holy days with Jewish people, but by observing Holy Christ, the day of our New Creation.

>>>
    The feast is required of God's people.
    <<<

Indeed it is. And God's word clearly said these laws should be kept Forever!!!! And it can only be kept that way in Christ, wherein we keep "all" these feasts forever (as explicitly required by God's Law). Those laws aren't done away with, they are satisfied or fulfilled, completed in Christ. The truth is, either Christ fulfilled the feast of Passover, Weeks and Tabernacles, or we should still be observing all these festival in their Old Testament ceremonial glory "as if" Christ had not come. As for me and my house, we will receive God's word that Christ fulfilled the requirements of the law fully.

Colossians 2:16-17
    • "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
    • Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

You've already been given this scripture, but I must ask. How much clearer can it get? Those Holy days were a shadow of things to come, not something that Christians should continue "as if" these things have not yet come, even as the nation of Israel does. If you want to walk in those same paths, then beware you will step in the same snares.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
    Tony Warren
    "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[/list]

Nightingale

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 06:18:46 AM »
    They are a rejection of the true having fulfilled the type....
    ...To go back to the shadow would be confession that the true which it is a shadow of has not come yet. Which of course the nation of Israel most assuredly does. Thus, they keep those old Testament feasts as if the Messiah has not come. But this is something that true Christians should never do....
    ...We would not "turn back" to sacrificing animals again because we know that has all been fulfilled. likewise, the feasts looking forward to Christ.

Tony...
    is this where the following comes in?
    Gale.

Hebrews 6
    1Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2and of instruction about washings,a the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3And this we will do if God permits. 4For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. 7For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. 8But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned.

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
    I was reading a Jewish site and it was explaining the significance of the  Sukkot, the Festival of Booths, or what we call the Feast of Tabernacles. It said that the feast was pointing to the Millennial reign of the Messiah that they are looking forward to. Is the Feast of Tabernacles actually pointing to the Millennial?  :thinker:

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
    • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
    « Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
    Yes. You can read about it here.

The Feast of the Tabernacle
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »

Thank you Erik.

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »

So all three, Judaism, Amillennialism and Dispensationalism identify the Feast of Tabernacles with the Millennium? What about Zechariah 14?

Zech 14:19
    This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
    « Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
    Read the article I linked above. It'll explain Zechariah 14.
    "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »

Ok thanks. It's long and it's late so I'm going to read it tomorrow.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
    « Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
    Ok thanks. It's long and it's late so I'm going to read it tomorrow.

Yes, I realize that the article is pretty long.  Take your time. Read few pages at time.  No hurry.  You can come back here and post if you have any questions. 

Have a good weekend.

Melanie

• Gold Member
    • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
    « Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 02:44:10 AM »

The Feast of Booths

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/feast-booths/

Isn't it strange that few Christian theologians discuss the connection between the feast of booths and the New Testament? They always talk about national Israel and what they thought. Do you think they are unaware of the connection?

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
    « Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
    Isn't it strange that few Christian theologians discuss the connection between the feast of booths and the New Testament?

I don't think it is strange since few ministers know anything about eschatology, and they don't mind that at all. As that superficial article about the feast shows, I think they look at it as a non essential and so don't really delve deep into it at all. They only skim over it in the most basic way. 

They always talk about national Israel and what they thought. Do you think they are unaware of the connection?

For the most part, yes. I've read a few articles that touch on the fact that it points toward the millennium, nut it's rare to read anything deeper about it being fulfilled in Christ's work as the other feasts.

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
    « Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
    I'm disappointed in RC Sproul's views of eschatology anyway, so his article doesn't surprise me that he's taking a non-ancillary approach to the subject.
    Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]