[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Sukkot or The Feast of Tabernacles  (Read 4219 times)

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
The Sukkot or The Feast of Tabernacles
« on: June 19, 2004, 05:09:02 AM »
Hello all, just me again.
Is there anything wrong with being a Messianic Christian and celebrating Jewish high days such as Hanukkah, Feast of tabernacles, the Seder, passover, atonement and such? I have been told by some christians that it is ok, and by others that it is not biblical to do this. What are your opinions concerning this.

Dryfus

• Nothing without Proof
Re: The Sukkot or The Feast of Tabernacles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 06:14:16 PM »
Yes, Jews are god's chosen people and these feasts were given by god.

1 Chronicles 16:13
 "O ye seed of Israel his servant, ye children of Jacob, his chosen ones."

Most Christians are really antisemetic and want you to forsake your brethren in Israel. You should look forward to your Messiah coming to save israel as scripture says.
The whole world is a Stage

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:57:41 AM »
>>>
Hello all, just me again.
Is there anything wrong with being a Messianic Christian and celebrating Jewish high days such as Hanukkah, Feast of tabernacles, the Seder, passover, atonement and such? I have been told by some christians that it is ok, and by others that it is not biblical to do this. What are your opinions concerning this.
<<<

They can, the question is should they? And in my opinion, the answer is no. Christians should not celebrate the Old Testament Jewish feast days because they looked forward to Christ. They were all shadows, types looking forward to the true festivals, the true sacrifice, the true feast, the true tabernacle. To celebrate them afresh would be like declaring that they haven't been fulfilled in Christ yet. I believe that would be a serious mistake, and the same one that most Jewish people make to this day in insisting the Messiah has not yet come. We have to understand that all those Old Testament feast days, Holy days and sacrifices all were shadows. A shadow being a silhouette or projection of the true thing or object caused by the light behind it. In other words, they were mere projections of the true things that were to come. for example, if you look toward a corner at night, you may see the shadow of a man approaching from around the corner before you actually see the man. That is how all these rituals, feasts and sacrifices were shadows, a projection of that actual things that was to come. God explains this in talking about the laws of the Old Testament sacrifices, and how they were shadows or types fulfilled in Christ.

Hebrews 10:1-10
  • "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
  • For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
  • But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
  • For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
  • Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
  • In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
  • Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
  • Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
  • Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
  • By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

The law of sacrifices and feast and holy days and the observance of the seventh day Sabbath of rest, etc., etc. all pointed to Christ, who would come and satisfy, fulfill or complete them. As they were merely laws projecting this true that was to come and actually fulfill the law.

I understand that some Jewish people cling to tradition and desire to keep some of their Old Testament ceremonies, and I understand that this would be a natural inclination of man, but when we put our hand to the plow we are not to look back. Old things are passed away. Christians (whether Messianic or otherwise) are a part of the New Covenant Church, and therefore should celebrate the Messiah through the Lord's supper and the ablutions that Christ instituted for New Covenant or Testament ceremonies, rather than look back to Old Testament shadows. And most important of all we should remember that we are all now one family in Christ, and those things serve only to separate and should not be.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 05:11:07 AM »
>>>
Yes, Jews are god's chosen people and these feasts were given by god.
<<<

Being a Jew, the children of God, is not a matter of the flesh, but a matter of the Spirit. Christians should abandon all worldly and political ideas about the genealogical or physical makeup of people and start receiving God's Spiritual truth. Do we receive God's word, or man's word? The people who God has chosen are not elected by race, but by grace. God's chosen people are one circumcision, one body, one family with one father, through Christ.

Romans 2:28-29
  • "For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
  • But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

Those Jews, Italians, French and English people who love Christ are God's chosen people. They are Spiritually Jews and heirs according to the promises made to the Israel of God.

Galatians 6:16
  • "And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God."

All one body of the Messiah, not two separate bodies or entities. Some people just can't seem to understand this no matter how many (Ephesians 2:11-22) times God's word says it.

James 2:5
  • "Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?"

True Jews are not about bloodline, except it be the bloodline of Christ. It's not about genealogy, except they be the children of God, through regeneration in Christ. It's not about nationality, except it be the holy nation of saints chosen of God.

1st Peter 2:9
  • "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"

This is God's Holy nation, Christ is our feast of tabernacles, the tent in which we dwell in this wilderness on our way to the promised land. It is Christ who is what truly makes men Children of God. Feast on Him and you keep the feasts that the Old Testament laws merely looked forward to.

>>>
Most Christians are really antisemetic and want you to forsake your brethren in Israel.
<<<

Christians are not antisemitic, as antisemitism is anti-Christian.  There may be some who call themselves Christian who are, but anyone can profess Christ, call themselves by his name, and attend a church. That doesn't mean they are really Christian. For Christ said that a tree is known by its fruits. Moreover, you may want God's people divided, but we are not divided anymore than the words Messiah and Christ is divided. We are Jews and Gentiles all in one body--not two distinct bodies, but one.

Ephesians 4:4-5
  • "There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
  • One Lord, one faith, one baptism,"

There is only one body, and it consists of Jews and Gentiles, Greeks and Turks, and no body ever hated itself. There is only one Covenant with and one inheritance with Israel, one Promise, one faith, one baptism, and one Spirit. We don't need Old Testament rituals and feast days, nor do we need Gentile feast days, because we are all one in Christ. He alone decides who is a Jew and who is a Gentile. Who is the Israel of God and who is the AntiChrist.  Who is antisemitic and who will never forsake their brethren in Israel.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:20:42 PM »
I'm thinking that the millennial reign of Christ, and the celebration of the feast of tabernacles points to the same 1000 year reign. I have been reading some Jewish sites, and they link the feast of tabernacles with the millennium. And the bible seems to do this too. For example as linked together in this article.

http://livingtheway.org/tabernacles2.html

Does anyone believe that the feast of tabernacles and the millennium represent the same period? It's an interesting question.

gordonh

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 09:06:55 PM »
Bloodstone,

Interesting you should bring this up.  I was just reading Tony's paper today.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/eschatology/feast_of_tabernacles.shtml

GordonH

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:33:51 AM »
I'm thinking that the millennial reign of Christ, and the celebration of the feast of tabernacles points to the same 1000 year reign.

Does anyone believe that the feast of tabernacles and the millennium represent the same period? It's an interesting question.

Bloodstone,
  Yes, I believe that the feast of tabernacles commemorates the New Testament period when Christ started his church, which we call the millennium. This feast was to show the day when Christ would dwell (tabernacle) among men and wipe away every tear from their eyes. There is a thread here on Zechariah chapter 14 where some Christians spoke on this topic of us coming to Jerusalem to observe this feast, I don't have a link to it, but you might find it if you do a search. They were also saying that it was fulfilled in connection with this.

I also read this link some time ago that touches on the subject.

http://www.christcenteredmall.com/teachings/feasts/tabernacles.htm

The thing is, a lot of people aren't willing to accept that Zechariah 14 actually speaks of the New Testament millennial reign because they think it refers to a latter coming of Christ. It's eschatological illustration of the coming of all nations to worship at Jerusalem refer to the Feast of Tabernacles  (Zechariah 14:16-21) which we observe in Christ. It points to the new birth and Christ's millennial Kingdom where he defeats the curse of sin. Postmillennialists see it as future also. None of these views are consistent with scripture except amillennialism.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

As you probably heard about national Israel and Jews from all over the world are celebrating a festival called Sukkot, where they are  building a temporary sanctuary at their home, balcony, or even rooftop with various observation rules. 

Do you realize that Sukkot is also known as Feast of Booths or Feast of Tabernacles. While this festival might concerns only the Jews but this festival Spiritual application to the Church that many Christians do not understand.

Why not take some time during this special festival week and read Tony Warren's study, "Feast of Tabernacles" link below and see how this festival really affect you and our bretherns in Christ. 

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/eschatology/feast_of_tabernacles.shtml

May God of Mercy bless you,

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

ray

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:03 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Erik, i read that one a while ago and I'll read it through again.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
Hello everyone,

As you probably heard about national Israel and Jews from all over the world are celebrating a festival called Sukkot,
Erik

Should Christians observe the Jewish Holidays and Feast days such as Israel's Sukkot? Despite what Tony Warren and Erik post, I say yes we should. Especially Jewish Christians and those who love Israel.

I'm happy to say that everyone doesn't think like that, and it has become increasingly popular for Gentile Christians to join in with these celebrations of the Jewish feast days. And here are just a few of the good reasons why we do so.

(1) we celebrate the Jewish holy days because they are infused with spiritual and prophetic significance.
(2) We celebrate the Jewish holy days because they have great historic significance that shouldn't be forgotten.
(3) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to teach about God's acts of redemption.
(4) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith.

So let your conscience be your guide that you never forget God's chosen people.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Hello everyone,

As you probably heard about national Israel and Jews from all over the world are celebrating a festival called Sukkot,
Erik

Should Christians observe the Jewish Holidays and Feast days such as Israel's Sukkot? Despite what Tony Warren and Erik post, I say yes we should. Especially Jewish Christians and those who love Israel.

I'm happy to say that everyone doesn't think like that, and it has become increasingly popular for Gentile Christians to join in with these celebrations of the Jewish feast days. And here are just a few of the good reasons why we do so.

(1) we celebrate the Jewish holy days because they are infused with spiritual and prophetic significance.
(2) We celebrate the Jewish holy days because they have great historic significance that shouldn't be forgotten.
(3) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to teach about God's acts of redemption.
(4) We celebrate the Jewish holy days as a good way to recover the Jewish roots of the Christian faith.

So let your conscience be your guide that you never forget God's chosen people.

David, might I ask according to whose ''gospel'' do you state the above to be so??  As for letting one's ''conscience be your guide'' as you also mention, kindly furnish scripture to support your bald statement, if indeed it might be done!!

Alexandra
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »
David, might I ask according to whose ''gospel'' do you state the above to be so??  As for letting one's ''conscience be your guide'' as you also mention, kindly furnish scripture to support your bald statement, if indeed it might be done!!

Alexandra

Alexandra,
  The onus is on you to show from scripture why we shouldn't participate in the feast days, yet you supplied no reasons, simply asking for scripture as if it is forbidded. I gave you 4 solid biblical reasons why we do so.

Ezr 3:4 They kept also the feast of tabernacles, as it is written, and offered the daily burnt offerings by number, according to the custom, as the duty of every day required;

The feast is required of God's people. I should be asking you for scripture, not the other way around. If you are going to rebut something, rebut it. Don't just say, where's my gospel. Where's your biblical proof it is not required? I'll be waiting to hear it.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »
I should be asking you for scripture, not the other way around. If you are going to rebut something, rebut it. Don't just say, where's my gospel. Where's your biblical proof it is not required? I'll be waiting to hear it.

We, especially Tony Warren, already rebuked your position with Scripture earlier.  You neither listen or receive God's Word that we testified so what you said on your previous post does not have a leg to stand on!

Hebrews 10:1-10

• "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
  • For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
  • But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
  • For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
  • Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
  • In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
  • Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
  • Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
  • Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
  • By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
The law of sacrifices and Feast days and Holy days and the observance of the Seventh day Sabbath of Rest, etc., etc. all pointed to Christ, who would come and fulfill them. As they were merely shadows or laws of projections of this true that was to come and fulfill it.

I gave you 4 solid biblical reasons why we do so.

Four solid Biblical reasons?! Show us the Scripture that support this! If not, don't pretend that Scripture does say it when it does NOT say.

Ezr 3:4 They kept also the feast of tabernacles, as it is written, and offered the daily burnt offerings by number, according to the custom, as the duty of every day required;

I think you need to read the context!

Ezr 3:1-7
    • And when the seventh month was come, and the children of Israel were in the cities, the people gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.
    • Then stood up Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and his brethren the priests, and Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and his brethren, and builded the altar of the God of Israel, to offer burnt offerings thereon, as it is written in the law of Moses the man of God.
    • And they set the altar upon his bases; for fear was upon them because of the people of those countries: and they offered burnt offerings thereon unto the LORD, even burnt offerings morning and evening.
    • They kept also the feast of tabernacles, as it is written, and offered the daily burnt offerings by number, according to the custom, as the duty of every day required;
    • And afterward offered the continual burnt offering, both of the new moons, and of all the set feasts of the LORD that were consecrated, and of every one that willingly offered a freewill offering unto the LORD.
    • From the first day of the seventh month began they to offer burnt offerings unto the LORD. But the foundation of the temple of the LORD was not yet laid.

• No where in this context that states Christians of New Testament has to observe this! No where! What you fail to understand that the Jews of Old Testament did it as a shadow of a True! They only look forward to Christ! It does not mean that Christians in New Testament must continue this practice.

Col 2:16-17
      • Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
      • Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

All feasts have already FULFILLED in Christ and we are now living under the feast of tabernacle ever since the Cross, which the Jewish literal tabernacle is merely type of or shadow of!  Not shadow of another future literal tabernacle or temple in the future in the Middle East but rather IN BODY OF CHRIST!  Selah!
      Erik

[/size]

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

ray

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 02:50:56 AM »

The feast is required of God's people. I should be asking you for scripture, not the other way around. If you are going to rebut something, rebut it. Don't just say, where's my gospel. Where's your biblical proof it is not required? I'll be waiting to hear it.

............................ ..........

I do not believe that the feasts are required of God's people, for the very simple reason that has been stated previously , that they have already been fulfilled in Christ.Are you willing to accept biblical proof or would you rather let your conscience be your guide.

Galatians 4:9-11
    But now , after that ye have known God , or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, where unto ye desire again to be bondage ?
    Ye observe days and months , and times , and years .
    Iam afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

The irony of what Paul is addressing here is so familiar, the Apostle Paul , so well versed in the law himself,finds need to confront a [gentile] church about embracing Jewish traditions.There truly is nothing new under the sun!!

Galatians 2:4
    And that because of false brethren unaware brought in , who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus , that they might bring us into bondage.

The law is bondage , it is a curse, why would anyone want to return it?

Galatians 3:10
    For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse : for it is written , cursed is everyone that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them .
    But that  no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident : for , The just shall live by faith.
    And the law is not of faith: but the man that doeth them shall live in them.
    Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us , for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.
    That the blessing of Abraham might come upon the gentiles through Jesus Christ ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

The choice here is between two covenants, either it is by law , or it is by grace, and if we acknowledge scripture the decision is a clear one .

Galatians 4:30
    Nevertheless, what saith the scripture , Cast out the bondwoman and her son : for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heirwith the son of the freewoman..
    So then bretheren , we are not children of the bondwoman , but of the free.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »
    Alexandra,
      The onus is on you to show from scripture why we shouldn't participate in the feast days, yet you supplied no reasons, simply asking for scripture as if it is forbidded. I gave you 4 solid biblical reasons why we do so.

Again I ask, kindly supply scripture for each of the apparent ''4 solid biblical reasons why we do so'' as you quoted!  To quote one scripture as you did, namely Ezr 3:4 They kept also the feast of tabernacles, as it is written, and offered the daily burnt offerings by number, according to the custom, as the duty of every day required; is not sufficient evidence for any THINKING, BIBLE STUDYING STUDENT OF THE WORD, LEAD BY THE HOLY GHOST TO COMPARE SCRIPTURE WITH SCRIPTURE to be convinced!  Your ''argument'' put forth, is as weak as water and, to which I add:  completely out of context!!!  However, as ''we'' have requested, please do supply those scriptures to which you allude!

It appears that it is not only I who await your reply!

Alexandra
    Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]