[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Amillennialism and the Binding of Satan  (Read 22012 times)

Miguel Angel Chaparro

• By the Power of His blood. Redeem!
    • Hidden Treasure Gift Shop
Re: Amillennialism and the Binding of Satan
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »
I just want to say that it really does take time for the Word of God and a lot of discipline, I am learning each day.  :)

Psa 48:1 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of His holiness.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2004, 12:41:44 AM »
God Bless your studies Miguel, and welcome!
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

AllofGrace

• Seeking Biblical Truth
    • Seeking Biblical Truth
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2004, 12:11:58 PM »
If this is indeed the thousand year reign...and we still have war, crime, poverty, famine and disease and all those things - and Satan is suppossed to be locked away for those thousand years...       ???

then,

How can anyone convince anyone that he is indeed locked away?  Satan is the author of confusion and evil...so since we have both in such quantities how can anyone think he is locked away?        ???

Concerning the binding of Satan, we must begin by asking two questions? 1) Is this binding literal (physical) or spiritual? 2) Is it total, or partial? I will deal with each of these, one at a time.

1) Is this binding physical or spiritual?

Even the most ardent Premil will have to admit, if he is honest, that no spiritual creature (such as an angel - Satan is a fallen angel) could possibly be bound with a literal physical chain. They can walk through walls, appear, disappear, etc. . So for starters, we know that this binding should not be taken in a hard wooden literal sense.

Just break out a concordance and check how many times the words "bind" and "bound" are used in a non-physical sense. The church "binds" things upon earth that are "bound" in heaven (Matt 18:18). A wife is "bound" unto her husband in marriage (Rom 7:2). Are people being "tied up" in these passages? No, of course not! The words are used to refer to "a authoritative restriction upon one's activities". The wife is not "free" to be married to another so long as her husband is still alive. A lawyer, for example might speak of whether or not a contract is "legally binding". He means by this, whether or not it has authority over us. We understand, by interpreting this unclear passage (Rev 20) in light of clear passages (1 Pet 5:8), that this is how the term is being used here.

Is there anywhere in the New Testament that suggests that Satan was indeed "bound" in this sort of way at the first coming of Christ? Yes, there is! In this passage, Jesus had just cast out an evil spirit.

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

They accuse Jesus of casting out evil spirits by the power of Satan.

Matthew 12:25-26 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

If Jesus were casting out evil spirits by the power of Satan, then Satan would be fighting against himself (his own house), and his own evil spirits (Matt 25:41).

Matthew 12:28-29 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

Jesus says, that is order for him to cast out evil spirits (those of Satan's house), he had to first "BIND" the "strong man" (the one in charge) of that house - Satan. Study the passage! Jesus said that he had to "bind" Satan (at his first coming) otherwise he would not have been able to have cast out his evil spirits.

2) Is this binding total or partial?

Let's look at the passage. The passage specifically says that this binding involved:

setting "a seal upon him (Satan), that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years (the millennium) should be fulfilled" Rev 20:3.

And, that after the millennium is over:

"Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth... Rev 20:7-8. (parentheses mine)

How is Satan bound? What restriction is placed upon his power? The passage only lists one restriction that is placed upon Satan during the millenium (despite the Premil's misinterpretation of the passage). He is no longer permited to deceive the nations (keep them in darkness). He had kept them in darkness in during the Old Testament, when God -

"suffered all nations (except the Jews) to walk in their own ways" Acts 14:16. (parentheses mine)

To Paul (the apostle to the gentiles) Jesus said:

...the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me Acts 26:17-18.

Paul said to the gentiles (non-Jewish) believers:

Ephesians 2:11-12 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

During this age (the millennium), between the first and second coming of Christ, Satan is no longer able to keep the gentile nations in darkness. During the tribulation the gentile nations will once again fall under his deception (Rev 13:7,14).

So we see, when interpreting the binding of Satan in Revelation 20 in light of the clear passages in rest of the New Testament, that Satan is indeed bound now. We also see that this binding is not physical, nor is it total, but is only in regard to one aspect of his power - deceiving the nations.

Grace and Peace,

Michael
Grace and Peace,

Michael

prover2

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2004, 08:18:42 PM »
OK, I'm new here, and not Reformed, but have a Pastor friend who is..we discuss this stuff constantly.

Amillenialism, I've read the articles, etc..but if this is the thousand year reign, is amillenialism saying this is the best God can do? The Bible itself says that the devil is the leader of the world.
War, crime, poverty, disease, famine...this is part of the thousand year reign of Christ? I don't get it.

All replies welcome, not here to start a beef or open a can of worms, just looking for plain English viable answers.

prover2:  Hi - I'm a newest of the newbies!  I like your approach very much.  The questions you pose are pertinent - I have asked them myself.  How can Christ reign in a world where members of the human race commit unimaginable crimes, the worst being those who prey on  our children - our infants.
I would like to begin with a request that you go back to the Gospels and see for yourself whether or where Christ ever promised or is recorded to have promised to be a temporal King and reign over a temporal Kingdom for any length of time.
If you will do that, I would like very much to discuss this with you.  If you have a reliable Concordance, look up references please, found in the Gospels and the Acts to the words:  "King, Kingdom, Reign, Regeneration, Prince."
Along with these, ponder the Gospel of John 2: 19, 21, 22;  Ch. 3: 6,12-21;
Ch. 4: 13, 14, 21-24 Ch. 5: 21-47; Ch. 6: 15-27-37, 44, 45-66 to end.
I realize this is a lot to ask, but his is how we 'work out our salvation' whether it is of man or God - of the flesh or of the spirit.  

ShirleyFord

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2004, 11:50:56 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for sharing the truth on the binding of Satan.  I agree absolutely because God does in His Word.

Shirley

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2004, 10:42:38 AM »
Michael,

Thanks for sharing the truth on the binding of Satan.  I agree absolutely because God does in His Word.

Shirley

Amen!

Elect Lady,
Our Lord Jesus Christ,  is the blessed and only Potente, the King of Kings, and Lord of lords...

Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom "no man" HATH SEEN, NOR CAN SEE:
to whom be honour and power everlasting. A'men. 1 Timothy 6:16

AllofGrace

• Seeking Biblical Truth
    • Seeking Biblical Truth
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2004, 12:38:41 PM »
Shirley & Elect Lady,

You are both welcome!

When interpreted in the light of the rest of Scripture, I do not see how the binding of Satan could be interpreted in any other way.

Grace and Peace,

Michael
Grace and Peace,

Michael

Layla

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2004, 09:14:12 AM »
Greetings

I have been doing a little studying regarding the doctrines of the millenium and I have a couple of questions to ask if I may.  I'll start with one question of mine for now.  Someone said:  Amillennialism means that a Christian believes that the millennial reign of Christ started at Christ's first advent, and that the 1000 years are an allegorical length of time.  I assume that everyone here agrees with this definition since I saw no one objected to it.  If the truth is that those in Christ are now reiging with Him and the first resurrection occurs at regeneration, then why did Paul write:

Phil 3:8-14
"Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but [this] one thing [I do], forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Peace,
Layla

Paulma

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2004, 11:31:37 AM »
Layla,

Hi.

There are 2 Resurrections outlined in Scripture for the believer, not one as some think. They are often found in an individual setting, like the one you quoted, which I believe is speaking of the second physical resurrection, although, they are occasionally outlined together as below. These two distinct resurrections are unique, yet totally related. The first resurrection of necessity requires a spiritual change, whereas, the second resurrection of necessity requires a physical change

Jesus said in John 5:24-29, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you,   The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live (first or spiritual resurrection). For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment   also, because he is the Son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life (second or physical resurrection); and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of d*mnation.”

There are two resurrections here:

(1) Spiritual
(2) Physical

The first resurrection outlined here is a spiritual resurrection pertaining solely to the elect: "the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live," it relates to the hear and now.

The second relates to all the dead (saved and unsaved), "the hour is coming, in the which ALL that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth." It relates to the all-consummating resurrection day. The physical resurrection is therefore not restricted to the elect alone but to “the dead.” It is they in total that hear Christ’s voice, being raised to two different destinations

Colossians 3:1-4 says, “If ye then be risen with Christ (speaking in the present tense about those who have experienced the first resurrection), seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory (referring to the physical resurrection which is future tense).”

There are two resurrections here:

(1) Spiritual
(2) Physical

Here again, two resurrections are referred to in the one passage, the first spiritual and the second physical.

Revelation 20 correlates. saying,  “Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power,   but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years …   And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works” (v 6 & 13).

There is two resurrections here:

(1) Spiritual
(2) Physical

Revelation 20:6 does NOT in anyway indicate that the believer will not experience natural death, no, but rather, that he wouldn’t experience spiritual death. It positively outlines that through the spiritual (or first) resurrection the believer is rescued from entering into the awful realisation of the second death (eternal punishment).

We must further ask the Premillennialist two important questions:

(1) Is there a resurrection outlined in the New Testament (pertaining specifically to believers) outside of the physical resurrection?
(2) If there is, does it come before or after the physical resurrection?

The answer to these two questions, if the respondent is true to God’s Word, is unquestionably:

(1) Yes!
(2) Before the physical resurrection.

Bradley

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2004, 01:56:30 PM »
>>>If the truth is that those in Christ are now reiging with Him and the first resurrection occurs at regeneration, then why did Paul write:<<<

There is no "IF".  The Bible clearly states we are reigning.

1 Corinthians 4:7-8
7   For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?
8   Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you.

2 Timothy 2:11-12
11   It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12   If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Romans 5:17
17   For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Revelation 5:10
10   And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Colossians 1:13
13   Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Not every Christian is at the same understanding of their salvation.  As we grow in the knowlege of our Lord we also grow in truth.  This is a process which will continue our entire earthly lives.  When Christ comes back we will then know him completely.  Our lack of knowlege and understanding about his kingdom, and our position as kings & priests in his kingdom, does not change the truth that Christ is reigning now.

1 Corinthians 13:12
12   For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Peter 2:9-10
9   But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
10   Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Bradley

Layla

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »
Greetings Bradley

There is no "IF".  The Bible clearly states we are reigning.

Well Bradley I think I would disagree with what you are reading.

1 Corinthians 4:7-8
7   For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?
8   Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you.

2 Timothy 2:11-12
11   It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12   If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Romans 5:17
17   For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Revelation 5:10
10   And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Colossians 1:13
13   Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

There are IFs and shalls in these scriptures.  Shall is future no?

Not every Christian is at the same understanding of their salvation.  As we grow in the knowlege of our Lord we also grow in truth.  This is a process which will continue our entire earthly lives.  When Christ comes back we will then know him completely.  Our lack of knowlege and understanding about his kingdom, and our position as kings & priests in his kingdom, does not change the truth that Christ is reigning now.

I didn't say that Christ is not reigning now, I questioned whether we are reigning with Him now and whether the first resurrection of Chapter 20 is infact justification/sanctification.

I really didn't see any response regarding what it is Paul is speaking of here.  Perhaps I did not understand how what either you or Paulma wrote explains what Paul is speaking of.  But thanks anyway for your responses.

Peace,
Layla

Paulma

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »
Layla,

If you are wondering why Amils believe we are currently reigning with Christ, when we have not yet "already attained, either were already perfect," then it is because we are looking at our eternal standing in Christ rather than our current imperfect mortal state. We stand completely "perfect" in Christ now through His work on Calvary, however, we still haven't received the final eternal outworking of such yet. It is the great mystery between the already and the not yet.

Paul actually addresses this great paradox in Philippians 3:15. However, you stopped just short of the reference in your quote for some reason. It explains our current perfect standing in Christ, saying, "Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Many Christians are under the mistaken impression that their spiritual kingship and place of reigning in Christ is all yet future. However, whilst our reign is assuredly future, it is also assuredly present. Romans 5:17 says,  “For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.”

We are reigning 'positionally' now, in life. Such was secured through Christ's victorious work at Calvary. The people of God have since been given authority over the demonic realm through the blood of Jesus and when moving in the Spirit and in the will of God.

Your highlighting of the word "shall" (as if it somehow indicates a future fulfilment), doesn't appear in the original it is added by the translaters. We should better interpret it, "they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.”

Ephesians 2:6 tells us how Christ,  “hath raised us (the Church)  up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”

The Church currently exists in its heavenly authority procured for them by Christ who has already defeated the enemy. It is through the finished work of Calvary that the Church now stands in victory. Romans 8:16-18 says,  “The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified with [him]. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward.”

We are CURRENTLY "joint-heirs with Christ." We reign because He reigns. When we put on Christ in salvation we entered into His kingship and were placed in heavenly authority with kingly robes.

Christ’s reign is not a geographical earthly reign that comes with natural observation but a spiritual reign over His spiritual Kingdom which comes through spiritual observation. Jesus told His disciples before His ascension in Mark 13:34,  “For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.”

John says in Revelation 1:5-6,  “Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever.”

We are kings now!!! We therefore reign now!!! This is current and occurs before the Second Coming of the Lord.

1 Peter 2:9 says of the Church of Jesus Christ presently,  “Ye are a chosen generation, a royal (or a kingly)  “priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.”

Layla

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2004, 08:38:55 PM »
Greetings Paulma

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.  You have very thoughtfully and precisely shown through scripture your understanding and I am grateful for your patience.  I have many other questions I look forward to discussing them with you if you are willing.  As I stated before I have been looking into the doctrines of premil and amil and unfortunately I am sitting on a fence seeing truth in both positions.  I realize that only the Holy Spirit can teach me truth but I like to discuss doctrine with the brethren and find it helpful, especially if I am open to view things from another's perspective, having the scriptures as our guide or having the opportunity to have scriptures I may have missed brought to remembrance.  Again thanks.

Peace,
Layla

Paulma

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »
Layla,

You are welcome.

Paul

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2004, 02:25:49 AM »
Just wanted to add something to your discussions.Have you ever considered calling it, the thousands of years, instead of, the thousand years,to denote the time between the first and second coming of Christ?Only a thought.
andreas. 8)
kai ean diabainhs di¢ udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]