[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Commentary On Revelation Chapter 17  (Read 47656 times)

Rick Reeves

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Commentary On Revelation Chapter 17
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »

I would assume it means that they think alike? Or they are of the same mind?

Larry

• Reformed & Reforming
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
The Barnes commentary that many reformed christians like says this:

And shall give their power and strength unto the beast. Shall lend their influence to the support of the Papacy, and become the upholders of that power. The meaning, according to the interpretation above proposed, is, that they would all become Papal kingdoms, and supporters of the Papal power. It is unnecessary to pause to show how true this has been in history. At first, most of the people out of whom these kingdoms sprang were Pagans; then many of them embraced Christianity under the prevailing form of Arianism, and this fact was for a time a bar to their perfect adhesion to the Roman See; but they were all ultimately brought wholly under its influence, and became its supporters. In A.D. 496, Clovis, the king of the Franks, on occasion of his victory over the Allemanni, embraced the Catholic faith, and so received the title transmitted downward through nearly thirteen hundred years to the French kings as his successors, of "the eldest son of the church;" in the course of the sixth century, the kings of Burgundy, Bavaria, Spain, Portugal, England, embraced the same religion, and became the defenders of the Papacy. It is well known that each one of the powers above enumerated as constituting these ten kingdoms, became subject to the Papacy, and continued so during their separate existence, or when merged into some other power, until the Reformation in the sixteenth century, All "their power and strength was given unto the beast;" all was made subservient to the purposes of Papal Rome.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »
Quote from: Larry
And shall give their power and strength unto the beast. Shall lend their influence to the support of the Papacy, and become the upholders of that power. The meaning, according to the interpretation above proposed, is, that they would all become Papal kingdoms, and supporters of the Papal power.

Larry, I know that many reformist, historicist, or Dispensational-type often "interpreted" the Papal system, national Israel, physical city of Jersualem, or even America as the beast because they often focus on secular history, physical empire, nation, or religion entity like Roman Catholic Church.  I do not think these will stand in the test of Scripture. 

Mason, please forgive me for any spelling and grammar errors. I am profound deaf most of my life and my writing skills are not that GREAT.  Now, I will try to answer your question but first let me explain a little bit about the beast.   The beast is a body of people with spirit of antichrist. The beast is simply a body Satan personified, a spiritual kingdom, just like the True Christians is the body of Christ representing His kingdom on Earth.

The woman is the kingdom of God on Earth since the fall of man, first the nation Israel representing the kingdom in the Old testament, and then the Church representing the kingdom in the New Testament. Therefore, the woman in Revelation 17 and 18 focuses on New testament congregation, the church, the home of Two Witnesses. RCC does not qualify to begin with anyway.

There were always a spiritual war between the body of Christ (first the Jews, then the Gentiles) and the body of Satan (professed believers within the congregation and the unsaved world).  In the Old Testament, the Serpent is Satan, the ruler of Kingdom of darkness through the unsaved people/believers (body of the beast) who fought against true believers of Israel until one of beast's seven heads was fatally wounded by Christ at the Cross. This means Satan's authority was taken away. But at the same time the Old Testament congregation also fell when the people of the Prince, the Jews, had Christ be cut off.  Therefore, the kingdom representaive was taken away from Old testament congregation, Israel, when the temple of the body was destroyed by the Jews, John 2:18-21.  However, in three days, like Christ prophesied, He would rebuilt the temple in 3 days. That was when the New Testament congregation has begun her great commission with a kingdom representative for God's Kingdom on Earth. The representation of the woman was simply transferred from the Old Testament Congreation to the New Testament congregation where she fled to the wilderness (world) with Gospel for 1,260 symbolical days as long as the church is saving people for the kingdom, Revelation 12:6. 

Christ has defeated Satan at the Cross and cast the beast (Satan) into the bottomless pit which symbolically means that his power to deceive the nations had benn restricted (Revealtion 20).  That is why God had to bound Satan so that that salvation is possible for the world through His Church UNTIL all people He intent to save have been saved.  And ONLY then, Satan will come out of bottomless pit to deceive the nation once again. 

Now, we are talking about the beast in the New Testament, today. When it comes out of bottomless pit, they will receive power from Satan (that God allowed) so they can wage a massive spiritual war against God's Saints in the congregation where they will be able to overcome our testimony and silenced us (spiritually killed us).  They will replaced the True Gospel with their own satanic gospel that appease the professed Christians to the point that they refuse to repent of their sins, tolerates homosexualities, etc. right in the HOUSE of GOD!  For example, the ministry and doctrines of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Joseph Prince, etc. This is the House of God WHERE the abomination of desolation be set up where it is ought not.  The church is supposed to have Christ and His Laws therein but they replaced it with their abominations. To the point of desolate of the church. Selah.

Now, with the Two Witnesses being silenced in the church, the professed christians rejoice because there is no longer a resistance from the Truth that I believe they are wondering after the beast (false prophets and christs) with power (false gospels) that dragon gave, Revelation 13:4-5.  With Two Witnesses no longer the rulers of the church, this is when the false prophets and christs (ten horns) started to have one mind with the beast (Satan) by agree to sell the false gospels of Satan into the audience of their congregations on top of wordly band, enterainments, etc.  where they will start to buy whatever that comes out of their mouths and receive the MARK (ownership) of the beast! In other words, ALL men, women, and children in the church who have not yet sealed by God (Revelation 9) will be deceived and hand over to the beast to be in spiritual bondage as a judgment for their unfaithful.  In this way, they have give the kingdom (church) to the beast where he now rules.     

Rev 17:12-14
(12)  And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
(13)  These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.
(14)  These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

God agreed to allow their deceived hearts to give their kingdom to beast as a judgment and they do not know it! The ten horns (false prophets and christs) will hate the woman (whore) by destroy all"merchandises" that the church ONCE enjoyed with all the spiritual riches that God gave to the woman. They have make the church, once faithful representative of God's kingdon, spiritually naked, desolated, and burn with fire (judgment). 

Rev 17:15-18
(15)  And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
(16)  And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
(17) For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
(18)  And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

This is the judgment of the New Testament congregation becasue "God's people" (professed, corporate believers) hate the Two Witensses, rejected their truthful testimony, and have them killed... exactly the same way Christ's own people, the unbelieving Jews, hate Him, rejected His truthful testimony and had him cut off!  See? We, True Christians, is the body of Christ and the beast (body of professed christians) will come against us and kill us...mostily in spiritual sense today! This is how the new Testament congregation, the great city, FELL!  But God will make sure that His True Elect will come out of her to avoid her plagues and wtiness the fall of the congregation. 

Are we starting to witness this today?  For me, I think so based on what I see and heard.  When I think about it, it really grieves me if it is indeed happening now.  As it is written: 

Rev 18:9-17
(9)  And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
(10)  Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
(11)  And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:
(12)  The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,
(13)  And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.
(14)  And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all.
(15)  The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing,
(16)  And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!
(17) For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,

(18)  And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!
(19)  And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

I am sorry if this is alot to chew on for you, Mason. May God bless you with wisdom.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Della

• Jesaus Is Lord!
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2019, 06:19:28 AM »

]ThUmBsUp[ Thank you Erik and the rest of you guys for your work on this chapter.  )Bible-Red(

Wayne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2019, 01:50:41 AM »
The Barnes commentary that many reformed christians like says this:

And shall give their power and strength unto the beast. Shall lend their influence to the support of the Papacy, and become the upholders of that power. The meaning, according to the interpretation above proposed, is, that they would all become Papal kingdoms, and supporters of the Papal power.

Terrible commentary all around.

Mason

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
Melanie,
  The traditional understanding is that the 7 mountains represent the 7 hills of Rome, and the beast is the Catholic church. The Pope is the man sitting in the Temple as if he were God.

Based on what? In other words, why does the 7 mountains represent Rome and why does the b east represent the catholic church?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]