[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: decision to homeschool?  (Read 4746 times)

br59ett

• I'm a llama!
decision to homeschool?
« on: December 19, 2003, 09:58:35 AM »
hi,
my wife wants to homeschool. i am not sure it is a wise choice. it seems it is going to be a real challenge, to me anyway.

and i know the kids just think its going to be playday everyday, and they dont have to get up early and all that.

and i know my wife is not much of an early riser. i am because i have to be. i know that i struggle trying to teach the kids just helping them with their homework, and i cant help but wonder what it will be like when we have to do the whole thing.

and also, i dont even know alot of what they teach now days.

not sure what to do, and the decision is coming up very soon.

any insight would be very helpful
brett

Rebel

• Do I dare disturb the universe?
Re:decision to homeschool?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 11:31:57 AM »
Dear Br59ett,

A  good  way  to  homeschool  children  is  to  teach  them  to  teach  themselves.  That's  how  my  family  does  it  and  the  system  works  great.  This  is  what  we  do:  The  basic  schedule  is  do  an  entire  lesson  in  a  math  book.  Saxon's  works  best.  The  children  read  the  lesson  and  work  out  the  problems  themselves.  Then  they  bring  you  the  answers  and  you  check  them  with  an  answer  key.  If  they  get  things  wrong,  tell  them  to  go  back  and  read  the  lesson  more  thoroughly  and  redo  the  missed  problems.  He  or  she  will  eventually  get  the  idea  that  unless  they  learn  the  principles  in  the  book,  they  will  not  get  done.
     The  next  part  is  the  essay.  My  family  usually  lets  the  children  choose  their  own  topics,  and  then  they  just . . .  write.  Sentences  if  they're  just  learning  how,  100  word  essays  for  intermediate  writers,  and  200  word  essays  for  advanced  writers.  When  they  get  to,  like,  high  school  age  they  could  graduate  to  1,000  word  essays.  You  check  the  spelling,  grammar  and  handwriting.  If  they  spell  a  word  wrong,  have  them  look  it  up  in  the  dictionary.  If  the  essay  is  very  sloppily  written,  have  them  write  it  again.  This  may  seem  harsh  but  they  need  to  know  that  this  isn't  play  time,  this  is  school.  Writing  is  one  of  the  most  important  parts  of school.
     Next  is  reading.  Little  ones  could  read  'Dick  and  Jane'  primers  out  loud,  middle  readers  could  read  quietly  for  an  hour,  and  older  children  can  read  for  two  hours.  In  the  two-hour  reading  period,  they  could  actually  learn  a  bunch  of  things  at  once,  depending  on  what  you  give  them  to  read:  biographies,  history,  geography,  earth  science,  whatever  you  want  them  to  learn,  give  it  to  them  to  read.  The  Robinson  Curriculum  is  an  excellent  source  of  good  reading  books  for  all  ages  from  beginners  to  advanced  readers.  I  highly  recommend  it.  And  Saxon  Math  will  take  your  children  from  basic  arithematic  all  the  way  up  to  Physics!
     You  may  think  that  this  is  way  too  much  work  for  a  child  to  do  in  one  day,  but  if  they  really  work  hard,  they  can  be  finished  by  lunch  time.  The  idea  is,  they  choose  how  fast  or  how  slow  they  want  to  go.  They  can  complete  a  math  book  in  one  year,  or  three  months  if  they  want  to!  It's  up  to  them,  how  far  they  are  willing  to  go.

and i know the kids just think its going to be playday everyday, and they dont have to get up early and all that.

I  thought  it  was  playday  at  first,  but  then  I  found  out  that  if  I  wasn't  up  early  doing  my  homework,  I  was  stuck  doing  it  'til  five  pm.  I  also  learned  that  if  I  got  up  really  early  and  worked  diligently,  I  got  done  a  lot  faster.  I  was  out  before  most  of  my  school  friends  were  eating  lunch!
     But  for  a  good  start,  I  would  set  aside  a  certain  area  for  them  to  do  their  work.  Somewhere  you  can  check  on  them,  like  at  the  kitchen  table  or  in  the  living  room.  Do  not  let  them  do  it  in  their  bedroom!  I  started  doing  my  work  in  my  bedroom  and  I  found  myself  wasting  hours  doodling,  playing  with  my  pencil,  reading  a  fiction  chapter  book,  anything  but  my  homework.  It's  easier  to  concentrate  when  I  know  I'm  being  held  responsible.
     And  limit  break  time.  Don't  let  them  get  up  five  times  to  go  to  the  bathroom,  get  a  drink,  or  sharpen  their  pencil.  They  need  to  settle  down  to  their  work.
     About  getting  up  early . . .  you  may  not  have  to  remind  them  to  do  that.  If  they  really,  really,  really  want  more  leisure  time,  they'll  get  up  on  their  own.  My  little  brother  gets  up  at  six  in  the  morning!
     But  if  one  insists  on  being  lazy,  natural  consequences  will  ensue.  Their  siblings  will  be  having  a  blast  and  they  will  have  to  miss  out.  Simple  as  that.
     One  of  the  most  fun  parts  about  home  schooling  is  the  hands-on  experience.  Field  trips  are  a  favorite.  Go  to  the  beach,  go  to  the  state  park,  take  some  time  off  and  go  camping.  My  parents  took  us  on  a  road  trip  through  New  England.  You  can  do  things  at  home  too.  Having  them  make  things  in  the  kitchen  is  fun.  Spelling  bees  and  mini  field  days  aren't  hard  to  do,  especially  if  there's  a  reward  like  candy.  You  can  bring  home  a  pet  to  take  care  of,  start  a  garden,  make  some  crafts,  do  an  experiment,  put  on  a  skit,  mess  around  with  a  musical  instrument,  the  possibilities  are  an  endless  bundle  of  enjoyment.  This  is  the  part  where  your  creativity  kicks  in  and  some  of  the  greatest  lessons  are  learned  by  going  out  and  doing  something.
     Don't  worry  about  whether  you  should  teach  them,  that's  pretty  much  your  job  anyway.  You  don't  need  a  classroom  or  a  chalkboard  or  a  bunch  of  desks  to  have  a  school.  School  can  be  outdoors.  School  can  be  in  another  state.  School  can  be  in  the  kitchen.
     Above  all,  center  your  activities  around  the  Lord.  He  will  give  you  the  strength  and  the  wisdom  to  carry  on  each  day.  You  may  have  to  sacrifice  time  and  energy  but  it's  not  a  bad  thing  to  become  a  part  of  your  children's  lives.
     You  don't  have  to  do  exactly  what  my  family  does.  Figure  out  what  works  best  for  you.  But  to  help  get  you  started,  I  would  recommend  Robinson  Curriculum,  http:www.robinsoncurriculum.com
Saxon  Math,  http:www.saxonpublishers.com
Veritas  Press,  http://www.veritaspress.com
     CBD  also  has  some  good  homeschooling  resources.  http://www.cbd.com

I  hope  this  will  help  you  some  and  I  pray  that  you  make  the  right  choice.
     Grace   be  with  you,
                                        Rebel  <><
Until  you  find  something  worth  dying  for,  you're  not  really  living.

"Deo  Valente"

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed
Re:decision to homeschool?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 10:28:37 AM »
hi,
my wife wants to homeschool. i am not sure it is a wise choice. it seems it is going to be a real challenge, to me anyway.

and also, i dont even know alot of what they teach now days.

not sure what to do, and the decision is coming up very soon.

any insight would be very helpful
brett

I would recomment these links. I don't think they've been given yet.

http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschooling/

http://www.homeschoolcentral.com/

http://www.schoolexpress.com/

You can get all the help you need, supplies you need, explore new books, departments, lesson plans, and other features also. Some thought provoking articles too.

JenB8

• LORD, make me steadfast in Thy Word.
Re: decision to homeschool?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 03:17:19 PM »
Homeschooling is a big choice and requires Prayer! In a home where one parent wants to homeschool there is much to be desired. It is important to have both spouses in agreement. There are many ways to Homeschool and varying curriculms. Good suggestions have already been provided. I only suggest truly praying about it with your spouse and your children. A schedule is important to have as a basis, but often life will have it change from time to time. Do a Scripture search about what the Bible teaches about parents educating their Children. The first Scripture that comes to my mind is :
Deu 6:4  Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.
Deu 6:5  And you shall love Jehovah your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.
Deu 6:6  And these Words which I am commanding you today shall be on your heart.
Deu 6:7  And you shall teach them to your sons, and shall speak of them as you sit in your house, and as you walk in the way, and as you are lying down, and as you are rising up.
Deu 6:8  And you shall bind them for a sign on your hand; and they shall be for frontlets between your eyes.
Deu 6:9  And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house, and on your gates.

It will take discipline and a teachable spirit for the family as a whole. There are different situations for different families. May the LORD richly Bless you with His infinite Wisdom and Grace.

In Christ our Righteousness,
Jen
Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solo Christo, Soli Deo Gloria

JenB8

• LORD, make me steadfast in Thy Word.
Re: decision to homeschool?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »
I forgot to type" LITV" after the Scriptures in my post  :-[. I just copied them from my e-sword Bible. The LITV by Jay p. Green, Sovereign Grace Publishers. I would have copied my KJV, but it had all of the Strong's numbers on the text.
~Jen
Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solo Christo, Soli Deo Gloria

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]