[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Have a Thanks-filled Thanksgiving!  (Read 6846 times)

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
Have a Thanks-filled Thanksgiving!
« on: November 25, 2003, 12:10:54 PM »

To All God's Children,

2 Corinthians 9:11 "Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God".
I probably won't get back here until after Thanksgiving, so to all of God's children, may you have a very Happy Thanksgiving, glorifying God in all that he has provided.

2 Corinthians 4:15 "For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God".

Pilgrim
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
Re: Have a Thanks-filled Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 01:22:58 PM »
 Happy Thanksgiving to you, and to everyone. Aren't we so blessed to live in a country where we can worship our God in freedom, any way we like, and praise him for all that he provides for us? We have so much to be thankful for, most of all his grace which he bestowed upon us.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Peng Bao

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 09:00:13 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to you, and to everyone. Aren't we so blessed to live in a country where we can worship our God in freedom, any way we like, and praise him for all that he provides for us? We have so much to be thankful for, most of all his grace which he bestowed upon us.

Amen! As compared to China, where I could find myself arrested at any time, for as little as writing this post. With all the complaining, I don't think your country knows how blessed it really is.

abbiegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »

:D   It's that time of year in our culture where we actually have  our annual custom of Thanksgiving Day. It's a great time really but it means different things to different people. Many memories and traditions will flood one's mind. Let's share anything we know that Thanksgiving means to us... whether it's a favorite Scripture , a praise, or a custom or a memory or just anything you love to share.
     Someone asked me this past week what we are doing for Thanksgiving and I told them and they asked if we do this every year and I said - no... this is our first year to do this.  Then that conversation started me thinking about so many precious memories over the years. This year I have so much to be thankful for - coming to know the strength of the Lord in a very personal way as I have been recovering from a near fatal illness which began in the summer of 2005 and debilitated me greatly - its so hard to have one's life change so drastically but it is also so wonderful to rest in His strength for each day. He has given me a measure of healing that I could never have imagined, as last year at this time I really did not think I would live until Christmas because I was so very weak and ill. He is our Jehovah Rapha  -   I Praise You Father for your mercy and strength for each new day.

Exodus 15:26  "I am the Lord that healeth thee"

A good study - see         https://www.freegrace.net/dfbooks/dfnamesGodbk/NAMES3.htm

This year we are volunteering to work at a large community Thanksgiving dinner and this will be our first year. I can't wait. One of my most fun Thanksgiving memories is the year we went to the Macy's parade and had pizza for our Thanksgiving dinner. In between we have had so many wonderful family celebrations with both sides of our family in many different settings so we think we are a non-traditional Thanksgiving family.  How about you and your family??

Hebrews 12:28   "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire."

Thanks for letting me share. A blessed Thanksgiving to each and every one of you. I hope others will feel free to share.

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 01:45:43 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to you Abbiegirl and everyone else.  We're having a traditional dinner, with family, etc.  I'm most thankful to God for opening my eyes, even if it's little by little.  I use to cry and pray asking God if it's really possible to know His Word. 

The two verses that ring out in my mind (almost constantly) are 2 Timothy 2:15 and 2 Peter 1:10.

2Timothy 2:15 "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

2Peter 1:10 "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall."

Penne

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:15:24 AM »
As we sit on thanksgiving day, filling ourselves with the blessing of bounty which God has provided, let us remember those who are spiritually in need of the bread, and who spiritually could use a cup of cool waters. Let us pray that hereafter we would earnestly work that the spiritually hungry might be fed, that they could give thanks to God as we do.

And while we are whole, prosperous and without pain, let us pray for the remembrance of those less fortunate who have need of spiritual healing, spiritual riches, and for those whose pain is the sting of death.

Let our prayers and desires for our fellow man be a goad to cast down our own complacency, and rouse our compassion, and instill a Godly charity and concern for others. For we know that, "there but by the grace of God go I."

We give thanks for His mercy and love, because it is by Christ's work alone that we are bestowed with unmerited favor. In his love we cry out on behalf of those who haven't received the thanksgiving blessings, nor have seen the glorious truth that we take for granted. Let our eyes this thanksgiving be upon the glory of the mission, and not the glory of the man.

In Jesus name we pray, Amen!

Puritan Heart

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »
Hello all you Wonderful Children of God:  and to those who celebrate Thanksgiving - A truely HAPPY ONE from all my heart  :)

Where I live, we do not celebrate this holiday, however I send a short excerpt from a book I am reading: The Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson:

-Creatures below us, and above us, bring glory to God; and do we think to sit rent free?  Shall everything glorify God but man?   It is a pity then that man was ever made. Creatures below us glorify God, the inanimate creatures and the heavens glorify God.  'The heavens declare the glory of God' Psalm xix 1.  The curious workmanship of heaven sets forth the glory of its Maker; the firmament is beautified and pencilled outed in blue and azure colours, where the power and wisdom of God may be clearly seen.  'The heavens declare his glory:' we may see the glory of God blazing in the sun, and twinkling in the stars.  Look into the air, the birds, with their chirping music, sing hymns of praise to God.  Every beast in its kind glorifies God.  Isa xliii 20.  'The beast of the field shall honour me.'  Creatures above us glorify God: 'the angels are ministering spirits.' Heb i 14.  They are still waiting on God's throne, and bring some revenues of glory into the exchequer of heaven.   Surely man should be much more studious of God's glory than the angels; for God has honoured him more than the angels, in that Christ took man's nature upon him and not the angels'.  Though in regard of creation, God made man 'a little lower than the angels,' Heb ii 7, yet in regard of redemption, God has set him higher than the angels.  He has married mankind to himself; the angels are Christ's friends, not his spouse.  He has covered us with the purple robe of righteousness, which is a better righteousness than the angels have.  2 Cor v 21.  If then the angels bring glory to God, much more should we, being dignified with honour above angelic spirits.

Oh how I pray that with every single day that Our Holy Father blesses us through His infinite mercy, with the very breath that we breathe, we might Glorify the God of all creation, whose abundant mercy bestowed upon us with each new day, we could never never begin to imagine:

1 Corinthians 2 v 9: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. [/font] [/color]

I pray that this day we remember even those like our very own Brother Peng Bao, who has not the freedom to openly declare his faith and love for our LORD and Saviour, our Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

May God RICHLY AND ABUNDANTLY Bless you all, in the very areas of your  lives, He alone knows, you need HIM most  :)

Your Sister in Christ
Alexandra

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »
Wishing everyone an enjoyable Thanksgiving as we give thanks for God's many blessings, today and everyday,
not the least of which is the freedom we still have to share the Word on the Mountain Retreat which continues to be faithfully goverened by Tony Warren and his team of helpers.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Terrell Meyer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Judy and all the forum guests. The bountiful blessings of God go way beyond the great meal we've probably all had today.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:09:03 AM »

Ditto!

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
Everyone,

Psalm 95:1-6

"O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with THANKSGIVING, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker."

May God bless you and your family, not only on this special day, but everyday for the rest of your days. 

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Trotter

• "We are The Light of the World"
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to God Y'all!

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
 :nicethread: So we're all here another year. I want to wish all of you here a happy "Thanks filled" Thanksgiving. As thanksgiving day approaches and we fill our bellies with what God has blessed us with, as Bob said, we should also remember our need to feed those who are spiritually in need of the bread, and give the appropriate thanks to God for our spiritual as well as physical nourishments.

May you all have a very blessed thanksgiving.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »
Have a Thanks-filled Thanksgiving!

Good Advice!  You too, and all the blessed members of the Mountain Retreat!

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Tony, Melanie and all my brethren here. God Bless.
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]