[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are There Contradictions In The Bible  (Read 7453 times)

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
Re: Are There Contradictions In The Bible
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:03:08 AM »

What about people who say the inscription written by Pilate is contradicted in the different gospels?

“Now there was also an inscription above Him, ‘THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—Luke 23:38

“Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It was written, ‘JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS’.”
—John 19:19

Can you answer that for me? Thanks.

Walt

Alleged contradictions in the Bible
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »
One of the issues that serves to sometimes impact our faith, especially if we are new in the faith, is the alleged contradictions in the scriptures.  For example, there are four gospel accounts of certain events and for some reason they seem to be inconsistent with each other at times.  However, as some have learned with growth in the Lord and more Bible study, seemingly different accounts are really two separate accounts, possibly separated by minutes, hours, days or months.

I have never found an alleged contradiction I could not resolve.  What do you think?

Walt

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
BTW, I have used a method of "weaving" scriptures together rather than "overlapping" to resolve all alleged contradictions. 

It seems that believers are able to do this because they are motivated to look for the resolution, while non-believers only look to attack God's Word, which is simply in their nature, and indeed, was in my own nature before I came to know the Lord.

And sometimes, it is also a matter of looking into the Hebrew, the Greek or to realize, for example with respect to Moses, that one cannot see God with their eyes, but could certainly have a vision in their mind of God, and hence the contradiction goes away.

Anyway, I have resolved many OT & NT alleged contradictions over the years like how many times did the rooster crow, was it one or two animals that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on, did Joseph and Mary return to Nazareth or go to Egypt after Jesus' birth, which day was Jesus' crucified on, etc.  Now some are easy to resolve, but others require reading scripture thoroughly and also looking elsewhere in the scriptures at other relevant facts.

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
did Joseph and Mary return to Nazareth or go to Egypt after Jesus' birth,

I have to admit that I have also sometimes been stumped by this. It does seem to be a contradiction. I don't know the answer of how to resolve those verses, but I have faith to know that it isn't a contradiction. It only seems a contradiction.

Mark

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:14 PM »
did Joseph and Mary return to Nazareth or go to Egypt after Jesus' birth,

I have to admit that I have also sometimes been stumped by this. It does seem to be a contradiction. I don't know the answer of how to resolve those verses, but I have faith to know that it isn't a contradiction. It only seems a contradiction.

Correct there are no contradictions in scripture for God is not the author of confusion, the confusion or seemingly contradiction comes from our own incomplete understanding. If we follow what is written in God’s word carefully we will come to the right conclusions. For instance Christ returned to Nazareth after Mary’s days of purification and their appearance in the temple then they returned home, after that being warned in a dream they fled to Egypt.

Luk 2:22-24,39
22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;)
24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.

Confer with Matthews account who skips the story of the temple and addresses the departing wise man of the east and moves onto the warning from the Messenger to flee to Egypt.

Mat 2:13-15
13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
14 ¶ When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

The four gospel accounts don’t contain identical stories of every moment of Jesus’s life, some leave out parables (gospel of John), some only mention one lunatic cutting himself and abiding among the graves or raising of Jairus’s daughter etc. we have to compare with the Spirit of God as our help, as it is written He shall guide us in all truth (John 16:13). 
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
Thank you Mark.

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
Thank you Mark, that's very helpful.

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 08:17:25 AM »

There is none that seeketh after God" is NOT a hyperbole. It is a truth that is said many times, in many different ways in scripture.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

You would think that everyone calling themselves Christian would then understand that it's impossible to come to God of your own free will. Especially since as you say, it's written time and again in many different ways. Another is " No man can come to me except the Father draw him. So if no one can come to him, and no one seeks after him, it would follow that no one has free will to be saved. And yet most Christians insist on this false doctrine of freely being able to come to him. That's what I can't figure out.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:39 AM »
You would think that everyone calling themselves Christian would then understand that it's impossible to come to God of your own free will.

Correct. And you would think everyone calling themselves Christian would understand that the truth will set you free, not make you liberal. But they don't.

You would think everyone calling themselves Christian would understand that God hates both the liar and judges those righteously who are deceived by the liar. But they don't. You would think everyone calling themselves Christian would understand that a tree is known by its fruits, that racism is an evil and adulterous thing, that Israel is who God says it is, that God hates divorce, iniquity, deceit, adultery, and immorality. You would think that anyone calling themselves Christian wouldn't back Trump, trample lawlessly on the constitution, praise Hitler as misunderstood, condone homosexuality, and excuse corruption. You would think that anyone calling themselves Christian would know that the work God gave to all of us to do is evangelism...

But they don't.

These people are spiritually brain dead where their minds are fundamentally unsound. And it's been that way n God's house since Cain killed his brother Abel. He wasn't cast out because his offering was of the field, he was cast out because his mind was fundamentally flawed so that he had murder in his heart. Just like these self-righteous professing brothers who profess themselves believers in truth.

Mt 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

And He's coming again and brother will be against brother. In Christ the one shall be taken and the other left. Then everyone calling themselves Christian will understand that it's impossible to come to God by worldly works and self-righteous beliefs that they're saving the world by their spiritual decline

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
Reformer,
      )offtopic(

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
Isn’t the Bible Full of Contradictions?
by Josh McDowell

It is truly amazing how often this question is asked. This question contains the assumption that the Bible is filled with many obvious discrepancies which, if true, would make it impossible to believe that the Bible has a divine origin. It is a popular idea to maintain that the Bible disagrees with itself, which casts considerable doubt on its trustworthiness.

If, indeed, the Bible does contain demonstrable errors, it would show that at least those parts could not have come from a perfect, all-knowing God. We do not argue with this conclusion, but we do disagree with the initial premise that the Scriptures are full of mistakes. It is very easy to accuse the Bible of inaccuracies, but it is quite another matter to prove it.

Certain passages at first glance appear to be contradictory, but further investigation will show that this is not the case.

One of the things for which we appeal with regard to possible contradictions is fairness. We should not minimize or exaggerate the problem, and we must always begin by giving the author the benefit of the doubt. This is the rule in other literature, and we ask that it also be the rule here. We find so often that people want to employ a different set of rules when it comes to examining the Bible, and to this we immediately object.

What constitutes a contradiction? The law of non-contradiction, which is the basis of all logical thinking, states that a thing cannot be both a and non-a at the same time. In other words, it cannot be both raining and not raining at the same time.

If one can demonstrate a violation of this principle from Scripture, then and only then can he prove a contradiction. For example, if the Bible said—which it does not—that Jesus died by crucifixion both at Jerusalem and at Nazareth at the same time, this would be a provable error.

When facing possible contradictions, it is of the highest importance to remember that two statements may differ from each other without being contradictory. Some fail to make a distinction between contradiction and difference.

For example, the case of the blind men at Jericho. Matthew relates how two blind men met Jesus, while both Mark and Luke mention only one. However, neither of these statement denies the other, but rather they are complementary.

Suppose you were talking to the mayor of your city and the chief of police at city hall. Later, you see your friend, Jim, and tell him you talked to the mayor today. An hour later, you see your friend, John, and tell him you talked to both the mayor and the chief of police.

When your friends compare notes, there is a seeming contradiction. But there is no contradiction. If you had told Jim that you talked only to the mayor, you would have contradicted that statement by what you told John.

The statements you actually made to Jim and John are different, but not contradictory. Likewise, many biblical statements fall into this category. Many think they find errors in passages that they have not correctly read.

In the Book of Judges we have the account of the death of Sisera. Judges 5:25–27 is supposed to represent Jael as having slain him with her hammer and tent peg while he was drinking milk. Judges 4:21 says she did it while he was asleep. However, a closer reading of Judges 5:25–27 will reveal that it is not stated that he was drinking milk at the moment of impact. Thus, the discrepancy disappears.

Sometimes two passages appear to be contradictory because the translation is not as accurate as it could be. A knowledge of the original languages of the Bible can immediately solve these difficulties, for both Greek and Hebrew—as all languages—have their peculiarities that make them difficult to render into English or any other language.

A classic example concerns the accounts of Paul’s conversion as recorded in the Book of Acts. Acts 9:7 (KJV) states, “The men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.” Acts 22:9 (KJV) reads, “And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.”

These statements seem contradictory, with one saying that Paul’s companions heard a voice, while the other account says that no voice was heard. However, a knowledge of Greek solves this difficulty. As the Greek scholar, W. F. Arndt, explains:

“The construction of the verb ‘to hear’ (akouo) is not the same in both accounts. In Acts 9:7 it is used with the genitive, in Acts 22:9 with the accusative. The construction with the genitive simply expresses that something is being heard or that certain sounds reach the ear; nothing is indicated as to whether a person understands what he hears or not.

“The construction with the accusative, however, describes a hearing which includes mental apprehension of the message spoken. From this it becomes evident that the two passages are not contradictory.

“Acts 22:9 does not deny that the associates of Paul heard certain sounds; it simply declares that they did not hear in such a way as to understand what was being said. Our English idiom in this case simply is not so expressive as the Greek” (Does the Bible Contradict Itself, pp. 13–14.)

It must also be stressed that when a possible explanation is given to a Bible difficulty, it is unreasonable to state that the passage contains a demonstrable error. Some difficulties in Scripture result from our inadequate knowledge about the circumstances, and do not necessarily involve an error. These only prove that we are ignorant of the background.

As historical and archaeological study proceed, new light is being shed on difficult portions of Scripture and many “errors” have disappeared with the new understanding. We need a wait-and-see attitude on some problems.

While all Bible difficulties and discrepancies have not yet been cleared up, it is our firm conviction that as more knowledge is gained of the Bible’s past, these problems will fade away. The biblical conception of God is an all-knowing, all-powerful being who does not contradict Himself, and so we feel that His Word, when properly understood, will not contradict itself.

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
 )Goodpoint(

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]