[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Homeschooling the latest Fad?  (Read 11792 times)

bearman

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Is Homeschooling the latest Fad?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 01:00:23 AM »
It is very plain that Dan is not really asking a question.  He has already made up his mind.  But he does arouse in me a tension that I have felt from the beginning of my  home-schooling experience.  Perhaps it is what he is wanting us to consider.   I hope we can.                                     

We are called to go into all the world and preach the gospel teaching the world the commands of Christ aiiowing Him to reform society.  At the same time we are told to be separate. ( Believe you me their are many things a young impressionable mind needs to be separated from).  I have in my years of experience known few people to have the wisdom and love  to navigate through these tricky tension filled waters.  I have four children being schooled now and have been a home-school dad  for 15 years. I am a part of a church that 80 percent of the families home-school.  I have witnessed  children who have graduated and went on to become great mothers, fathers and even leaders in their community.    I have also observed children finish their  "home-school" experience unable to read on a third grade level and completely unable to stand against to forces of the outside world.  If we think that making the decision to home-school is going to win the day we are very deceived.                                                                                                                                                                                             

As we are so fond of pointing out public schools have only come along in the last few  hundred years.  The enemy has hatched evil for much longer.  All those home-schooled before the modern home-school movement  began did not bring in the kingdom.  The church and for that matter all men have the tendency to react rather than act in response to Gods word.  Many of the home school families that I have known have a tendency to over emphasize the family at the expense of the Church.  They become a part of what I call, 'The cult of the Family'.  i.e..  All the way home.  In this teaching men who are suppose to "Go out in the Gates" of the community, are encouraged to come home and submit to a domestic calling, ignoring the dominion mandate. I think this is a very dangerous trap that can ensnare us.  Any one that puts an emphasis  on a part of the Word is always in danger of some form of idolatry.  Because of these kind of things I think the verdict is still out as to whether the home-school movement is just a fad or will last.  If we put anything before Gods purpose he will destroy it.  The family is not the end it is an instrument that He uses to build his Kingdom.

splat

• ...having done ALL to stand...
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
Dan,  How's that FAD theory of yours holding up?  I'm 40+ years old and was homeschooled.  I have very few emotional scars from the experieince. :laugh:  By some accounts I actually recieved a fairly good education, (thanx Mom and Dad BTW!)  It used to be that I was rather unique, but I'm getting much more of a ho hum response to the whole thing these days.  It seems most everyone knows somebody that abuses their children for themselves instead of farming the job out to the state or hiring genuine christian professionals to do the job for them!

FaithFilly

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
I don't know if I'd call Homeschooling a fad.  It's simply wisdom, especially considering the way the country (and world) is going.  I just finished about 1 and 1/2 years ago and recently learned that my daughter shall be following in my footsteps with homeschooling her son.

It's good sense to do what works.  Government school does not promote a healthy Christian environment.

rebekahsmom

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
Dan,

There's nothing wrong with Homeschooling, and there's nothing wrong with private Christian schools. It all depends upon what area you are from.

But in no circumstance would I say public school is better.

I'm not disparaging home schooling, but I just think that private Christian schools are a better environment for children. Maybe some people down south don't have the money, but most people can afford to send their kids to christian schools. I just don't like this isolationism with family. Homeschooling conjurs up in my mind visions of right wing anti-government types who think we should all go back to no taxes, farms, and cleaning our own streets. That's fine for those who want that. But I want my kids to be able to get a job in the real world, without the "shock" of growing up to find out that the real world is not like the sheltered homes they have grown up in, and real people not like their family members and friends.

I am from the south so are you implying that southerns are poor, backward, and isolating ( ???
Down here in "backwards" america if you would oblige me tell me how we harm our children by keeping them home.  Give me the statistics on drugs & death at a home school at a christian school then at a public school.
So you will realize people down here send their kids to a christian based school because they want to try to fix their child's "problem", but it doesn't.  I have had friends tell me from their own experiences how it is easier to get drugs at their schools, because people do not expect these things to happen in a "Christian school" Just because it is labeled a "Christian school" doesn't mean the children going there are christians.
What some parents fail to see is you have to parent your child not send them out into the world to learn good morals they won't find them. You have to do this at home.  Just like a parent that sits their child down in front of a t.v. so it will "baby sit" them, while they are busy, all of the sudden wants to know where their child learned certain words, actions, ect.. 
Just because a child is home schooled doesn't mean they stay in the house all the time.My husband was home schooled saw his friends (went sking, fly fishing, camping ,ect.) and had a job at the same time.  So he got his" real job" at 15 on a contructiuon site, and then became a contractor from this experience. Tell me where is the isolation??  Just because some do this do not assume all do.

Lamentations 3:40
Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.
Amos 5:24
"But let judgement rain down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream."

cougar28

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
Good point.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]