[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Christians becoming less ...well, Christian?  (Read 460 times)

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Are Christians becoming less ...well, Christian?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 07:37:11 AM »
Margaret,
  You're not paranoid Margaret, but do not despair. It's all part of God's plan. I also believe that we are in a spiritual wasteland where normal Christian concerns and behavior has gone the way of the Saber-toothed tiger and the bright candlestick on a hill. It's easy to find fools professing themselves good Christian, but true Christianity is hard to find.

Thank you Melanie. I was thinking along those lines too. I use to chat on the internet with Christians all day, but now there's only the Holy Rollers and dispies who don't want to hear anything but pretribulation rapture, miracles and Israel. I very literally have no one to talk to about real Christian matters. Thanks fot letting me know I am not just paranoid.

This forum is a prime example of Christian decline. I literally watched people who I thought were Christians fall away and show their hatred of truth, their warped views of integrity, and their true colors and true feelings about other people, races and their adversarial relationship with righteousness.

Sounds like the last church I attended. It felt really good the first week or two, then the beliefs and doctrines came and I knew that group was not for me. I will keep my head up, and thanks for your encouragement.

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »
I think you are on to something Margaret. It has been heading in that direction for a few years and now I believe it's worse than ever with the emphasis on the political divide, economics, and the state of the country. Christian living seems secondary, right? I feel the same way you do.

Thank you. I'm left with reading the Bible, Christian books, and the articles on this website. Christian discussions are far and between. Thanks for the encouragement.

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
Sorry about my lengthy rant, Margaret.

Not at all. I welcome Christian ideas, discussions, and beliefs.

I do see a very serious decline and apostasy in the church worldwide for the past decade. The flame of the candlestick in these unfaithful church has been exhausted so that the light of the Gospel won't be heard/seen therein.

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets worse. And the Christians I talk to say I'm worried too much about nothing and it's business as usual. Thank you for your understanding and I thank God for our ability to see things as they are. The decline is real, the tribulation is real, the spiritual apostasy is real, but it seems that the pastors are what is not real. Thank you Erik.

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 07:49:52 AM »

Yes, Christians are less interested in being the good Samaritan, the helping hand, the proselytizing servant, the supporter of missions, bible study, etc. But does that mean they are less Christian? Is that what you are saying?

)thinker(  That's debatable. They surely are not more Christian.

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »
Do not despair Margaret as it is written: In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (John 16:33b).

I agree. But it's hard not to despair when you see things getting worse by the week and no one is even trying to do anything about it. I guess we all know how Elijah felt, right? It's just so disheartening.

Yes this world is evil continuously as was in the days of Noah, itís as abominable as in the days of Lot, every man doing what seems right in his own eyes. How is that saying go, itís darkest before dawn.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

)God-Bless-You(

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:14 AM »
Well? Is a tree known by its fruits or not? Is a Christian's fruit not known by him or her being the good Samaritan, by feeding the poor and fatherless (spiritual or physical), by the helping hand, by their proselytizing or preaching the gospel that others might be saved, by serving as a servant rather than a master, by being the supporter of missions, by joying in bible study, always being ready to answer questions and giving a defense for why they believe what they do? I might be one of the few, but I actually think that both Margaret and Maurice has a good point. Maurice because he's right. No one bothered to answer Margaret's question until he highlighted that fact. Including me. And please don't tell me no one saw it because that's nonsense.

Reformer, thank you. It's not how fast you answer, but that you ultimately did. I appreciate every one of your responses. It's always good to know as Elijah found out, that there is always a few who have the spirit of truth to stand for the truth. I am greatly encouraged by all of you.

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »
We thank God for Tony, Reformer,Erik and others who have blessed them with spiritual gift of teaching in these last days.

Glory to God

And You too Mark.

)God-Bless-You(

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:59 AM »
Christians become less Christian when they forsake love for their fellow man. When they condemn instead of commend.  When they push away instead of gathering together in unity.  When they separate instead of allowing for diversity. When they think their doctrine is the only truth rather than allowing other opinions. Christians become less Christian when they do these things forsaking love for their fellow man.

Matthew 24:12 (NLT)
"Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold."

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 05:42:02 PM »
>>>
Christians become less Christian when they forsake love for their fellow man.
<<<

Some professing Christians say the Apostle Paul lacked love and was actually antisemitic because he dared to tell the truth about Israel, their responsibility to the crucifixion, and their fall. These people aren't reading the Bible, they are skimming through it, making their own judgments based on opinion, and listening to wanna-be prophets.

Acts 2:36
  • "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."

Do you think the Apostle Paul was unloving and antisemitic when He told the Jews that they were the ones who crucified the Christ? That's what the church would no doubt say if someone dared preach that today. But the truth is, He said that out of real love. Love that a lot of professing Christians today cannot understand because they don't have the slightest idea of what love is.

Romans 9:1-3
  • "I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
  • That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
  • For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:"

The Apostle was a Jew and had a great love for the Jews, but he showed that love by telling them the truth. Not by blaming the Romans, absolving national Israel of all responsibility, or claiming that they had some good doctrines that should be unified with the New Testament congregation. Rather, He showed them love by preaching Christ's forgiveness, that they were welcome to abandon their beliefs and receive the true Kingdom of their Christ in the New Testament congregation. He was "more" Christian because he was more Christ-Like. Today's professing Christians become less Christian when they forsake God's "unadulterated" word for their own euphemisms,  opinions, and imaginations. Forsaking love is forsaking the word for the sake of unbalanced unity and inclusion.

1st John 5:3
  • "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

Love is not some abstract sentiment of "don't preach God's condemnation," that's neglect and forsaking love, not showing love. True agape love is the charity of telling people the truth, that they may turn away from the error of their ways. That's the love Paul showed in his sorrow for His kinsmen who would not repent because they didn't understand what being a Jew really was.

Romans 9:1-3
  • "I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,/i]
  • That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
  • For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:"

>>>
When they condemn instead of commend. 
<<<

Commend what? falsehoods? And it is the word of God that condemns. Don't shoot the messenger because he didn't write the message. While it is the day of salvation, the word is free and is here to warn, to exhort, and to save. The word will also condemn--in the last day. So, while it is the day of salvation, all may receive the word with all readiness of mind. And any condemnation of the word will not be for anyone who does so.

John 3:17
  • "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

By the same token, don't think the word going forth will come back empty. For it is the condemnation of a two-edged sword cutting coming and going, as well as the bread of life to fill those who hunger after righteousness. And it does not return void in any sense of either.

John 12:48
  • "He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."/li]
>>>
When they push away instead of gathering together in unity.
<<<

Some things need to be pushed away from the church rather than included. Indeed, one of the great the problems with the church today is its unlawful inclusions, detractions, additions, incorporations, insertions, introductions, and admittances by the Lord's gatekeepers. Slowly moving the landmarks which the Lord has set so that Christians barely know where the world ends and the church begins. And as a result the messengers cease to do the first works and forget from where they have fallen. The dreamers who think to exalt themselves by prophecies in babbling tongues shouldn't be included in our church, they should repent or be cast out. Which is the way it use to be before the crop of messengers colluding with ideas of we're all the same church. Realize that if the Lord is not actually miraculously and literally speaking through them nor miraculously physically healing through them, then they are liars. So you must decide, is this babbling incoherently God actually talking "or" the deceits in their own hearts? There is only one acceptable answer for God's people because they can't both be true. If these babbling tongues are "not" from God, then lies are exactly what they are. The truth is, such nonsense is not unheard of--it's nothing new.

Jeremiah 23:26-30
  • "How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
  • Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.
  • The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.
  • Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
  • Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour."

What is the end of people who circumvent God's word by feigning a miraculous addition to it through their own babbling tongues? And they attempt to bring a fear upon God's people who would dare say this is "not" the doctrine of Christ by blaspheming the Holy Spirit.  Yes, this is something that the faithful should push away instead of gathering together in some misguided grasp at unity.

>>>
When they separate instead of allowing for diversity.
<<<

Where is it written that we are to be joined together with other doctrines for the sake of unity? Those who come with other doctrines feigning worship of Christ, are already spiritually separated from us. Thus God says don't be physically joined together with them either. Not in appearance, not in teachings, not in marriage, and certainly not in church. For there cannot be any agreement together when we are of two different minds. There is an "imbalance" where one believes and the other does not believe, which is a recipe for the desolation of the church.

2nd Corinthians 6:14-17
  • "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
  • And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
  • And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
  • Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"

Don't confuse having a different opinion of sprinkling or immersion with having different doctrines of speaking to God or pretending to have the miraculous power to physically heal. There's no diversity of doctrine in the indivisible church, there is only diversity of people gathered from the ends of the earth. The word of God doesn't allow for the diversity of doctrines, because any doctrine not the doctrine of Christ is not Christian doctrine. It's man-made doctrines, of which there are many.

2nd John 1:9-11
  • "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
  • If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
  • For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

Why do you think God inspired that written? Was it because He loves the diversity of doctrines, or because He assigns a curse to those who come with a diversity of doctrines of Christ. Because He "expects" us to know what doctrines are not the doctrine of Christ--not to pretend that all doctrines lead to Him and should be respected. God's word says if there be one who doesn't come with "His" doctrine, don't let him into your house.  i.e., separate from him "because" there is only one doctrine of Christ. That doctrine is not subject to private interpretation or diverse opinions, it is either a doctrine from the word or it isn't. It is written, the true doctrine is not to be compromised but is to be held fast. It's to be guarded from loss, it is to be kept faithfully. That doctrine is not a doctrine of lies, or of pretending to speak for God with babbling uninterpreted noise, nor of the chicanery of feigning healing someone physically by touching them with your hands. That is a false doctrine.

>>>
When they think their doctrine is the only truth rather than allowing other opinions.
<<<

The doctrine of Christ is the only doctrine, and it is not subject to anyone's personal opinions. The problem with your conclusion is that you "assume" that it is our own personal doctrine when these doctrines come directly from the pages of God's Holy word. The fact is, sound doctrine is not subject to anyone's personal judgments, thoughts, suppositions, or individual whims. What you say is us "not allowing for other's opinions," I call us not the removing of the ancient landmarks marking the boundaries of faithful Christianity. In other words, holding fast to sound doctrines. Other's opinions are worthless when they are not in agreement with the "unadulterated" word of God.

Titus 1:9
  • "Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers."

What good are other's opinions in they make the word of God null and void?

>>>
Christians become less Christian when they do these things forsaking love for their fellow man.
<<<

Christians become Non-Christian when they do these things forsaking love of God for like and worldly sentiment for their fellow man.

>>>
Matthew 24:12 (NLT)
"Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold."
<<<

Matthew 24:11-12
  • "And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
  • And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

Don't leave out the "reason" that iniquity will rise. It is because of the many false teachers that God says will come. False prophets that teach unrighteous inclusions, accommodation, acceptance, collusion, and compromise. This is the reason that iniquity abounds, because false prophets are deceiving the people of the churches with their personal opinions and private interpretations about speaking in tongues, opinions of free will, unlawful inclusions, fables about Israel, and on and on. Iniquity flourishes where "true" love (of God) grows cold in the church because they have forgotten their calling.  No time for warning, no words for missions, no interest in evangelism, but all the time in the world for enriching the minister, for politics, or for excusing greed, immorality, divorce, or any other pastime. This is the carnal, worldly, empathetic love that passes for Christian love, but the "agape" benevolent love that true Christians possess where they actually eschew or shun evil, Where their actual desire is obedience to God's laws, and to surrender to God's will where they are not just paying lip service to living for Christ. Where is the desire to obedience and the desire for truth? What's gone cold in the church is to live for truth, replaced by living for this world--and all that entails.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]