[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Christians becoming less ...well, Christian?  (Read 565 times)

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Are Christians becoming less ...well, Christian?
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:58 AM »
I have a question. I'm finding a curious thing that you may or may not agree with. Lately, I'm finding Christians more and more not interested in things Christian. Whether they be Christian fellowship, Christian discussions, Christian behaviors, Christian doctrines, Christian missions, Christian schooling, Christian Bible study or preaching. Everyone says they are Christians, but they don't seem to act the part. Do you know what I mean? I sometimes feel it's just me because no one seems to agree with me. I put this same question on Facebook and the only responses I got were of the type that "maybe I should get out more." What do you all think?  Am I just paranoid or maybe seeing something that is actually reality? At this point, I'm beginning to wonder.

Maurice

Re: Are Christians becoming less ...well, Christian?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:48:04 AM »
I can't lie to you about your chances of getting an answer to your question, but...

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
Maurice,
  I believe that in your atheistic joy to dance on the grave of Christianity, you have missed the point. I believe that the fact that many have passed through here and she received no answer in three days is the answer to her question. It confirms not only that (professing) Christians are actually becoming less Christian, but that the church is pretty much gone into apostasy these days. That including the nonsense fake Christian groups we hear praising Trump, denying the truth, misunderstanding Israel, crooked evangelicals and rumors of revivals. There is no revival, there are only would-be Christians falling away from the truth. The tree is dry, it is the time when these will not receive the love of truth.

"For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?" Luke 23:31

Margaret,
  You're not paranoid Margaret, but do not despair. It's all part of God's plan. I also believe that we are in a spiritual wasteland where normal Christian concerns and behavior has gone the way of the Saber-toothed tiger and the bright candlestick on a hill. It's easy to find fools professing themselves good Christian, but true Christianity is hard to find.

This forum is a prime example of Christian decline. I literally watched people who I thought were Christians fall away and show their hatred of truth, their warped views of integrity, and their true colors and true feelings about other people, races and their adversarial relationship with righteousness. I feel for Margaret when she says she can't find Christian fellowship, Christian discussions, Christian doctrines, Christian Bible study or preaching. It's like that everywhere because we are in the end times and much of the church is in delusion about Christ and the meaning of the gospel.

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it. Amos 8:11-12"

So Maurice can rejoice in the seemingly desolated Christian, but the truth is that those desolated are left desolate for a reason. Not to kill the church but to make a way for them to escape this Christless, truthless group, called the church, and flee to the mountains.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:44:56 AM »
 )Goodpoint(  )GoodPopst(

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 12:02:13 PM »
I have a question. I'm finding a curious thing that you may or may not agree with. Lately, I'm finding Christians more and more not interested in things Christian. Whether they be Christian fellowship, Christian discussions, Christian behaviors, Christian doctrines, Christian missions, Christian schooling, Christian Bible study or preaching. Everyone says they are Christians, but they don't seem to act the part. Do you know what I mean? I sometimes feel it's just me because no one seems to agree with me. I put this same question on Facebook and the only responses I got were of the type that "maybe I should get out more." What do you all think?  Am I just paranoid or maybe seeing something that is actually reality? At this point, I'm beginning to wonder.

I think you are on to something Margaret. It has been heading in that direction for a few years and now I believe it's worse than ever with the emphasis on the political divide, economics, and the state of the country. Christian living seems secondary, right? I feel the same way you do.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
I think you are on to something Margaret. It has been heading in that direction for a few years and now I believe it's worse than ever with the emphasis on the political divide, economics, and the state of the country. Christian living seems secondary, right? I feel the same way you do.

Ditto.

Sorry about my lengthy rant, Margaret.  I do see a very serious decline and apostasy in the church worldwide for the past decade. The flame of the candlestick in these unfaithful church has been exhausted so that the light of the Gospel won't be heard/seen therein. How?

Rev 9:1-3
(1)  And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
(2)  And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
(3)  And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

I believe the smoke represents the power of the spirit of Satan, or spirit of disobedience WITHIN men.  Their spirits were restrained by God for the past 2,000 years so that He could build His Church with His Spirit through His Two Witnesses. Once all of His people has been secured (Rev 7:1-4), He has removed his restraining hand so that their spirit can be increased or "revealed."

2Th 2:3-4
(3)  Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
(4)  Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Over time, more and more false prophets and christs coming into the church with false doctrines that causes transgression among God's people to the point that the daily sacrifice have ceased and the truth cast down to the ground.

Dan 8:11-12
(11)  Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.
(12)  And an host was given him against the daily sacrifice by reason of transgression, and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practised, and prospered.

This is when we can start seeing people no longer interested in Truth or rejoiced over the "death" of the truth because the truthful testimony of Two Witnesses has been silenced (killed).  That is why they prospered over us.  Both the professed Christians and the secular world do not care about our truthful testimony anymore just as you have described Margaret.

Rev 11:7-10
(7)  And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
(8 ) And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
(9)  And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
(10)  And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Margaret, I do feel distressed from all of this.  But like Melaine said, don't despair. This has been prophesied by our Lord Jesus Christ and He has promised to send us "Spirit of Life" (Rev 11:11-12) to "SEE" these things to happen before our "last trump", the seventh trumpet, soon shall be blown.  The "signs" that we, the faithful remnant of the church, who have came out and see her burning tells us that Christ's coming is very near after the "hour" of judgment of Babylon the Great shall be finished. Knowing and believing this, we shall rejoice and give praise to God who is in control. If we will be still "alive and remiin" when the last trumpet sounds, we will meet with the Lord in the air.

Rev 11:13-14
(13)  And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
(14)  The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
(15)  And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

1Co 15:51-52
(51)  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
(52)  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Hope this will give you some comfort in this time of darkness.  Blessings.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Maurice

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »
hmmmmmmm. How come no one answered Margaret's question until the day I commented that she was getting no answer? Now all of a sudden every Christian grows a mouth to answer her

Where was the good Samaritan before being goaded into being a Christian?  On Vacation?

Simon

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »

Yes, Christians are less interested in being the good Samaritan, the helping hand, the proselytizing servant, the supporter of missions, bible study, etc. But does that mean they are less Christian? Is that what you are saying?

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »
Sorry Maurice, Atheists don't have sympathy for Christians. They have contempt and disdain for them. You are the last one to be justified in lecturing us.

The Atheist Credo
"I believe in one method of data, hypothesis, and experiment which was conceived by ancient Greek thinkers, born in the Age of Enlightenment, suffered under superstition is struggling under religion is bound to make people’s lives better and will one day bring about a perfect world."

Mark

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 07:16:33 PM »
Margaret, I do feel distressed from all of this.  But like Melaine said, don't despair. This has been prophesied by our Lord Jesus Christ and He has promised to send us "Spirit of Life" (Rev 11:11-12) to "SEE" these things to happen before our "last trump", the seventh trumpet, soon shall be blown.  The "signs" that we, the faithful remnant of the church, who have came out and see her burning tells us that Christ's coming is very near after the "hour" of judgment of Babylon the Great shall be finished. Knowing and believing this, we shall rejoice and give praise to God who is in control. If we will be still "alive and remiin" when the last trumpet sounds, we will meet with the Lord in the air.

Rev 11:13-14
(13)  And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
(14)  The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
(15)  And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

AMEN ERIK.

Do not despair Margaret as it is written: In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world (John 16:33b). Yes this world is evil continuously as was in the days of Noah, it’s as abominable as in the days of Lot, every man doing what seems right in his own eyes. How is that saying go, it’s darkest before dawn.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
Yes, Christians are less interested in being the good Samaritan, the helping hand, the proselytizing servant, the supporter of missions, bible study, etc. But does that mean they are less Christian? Is that what you are saying?

Well? Is a tree known by its fruits or not? Is a Christian's fruit not known by him or her being the good Samaritan, by feeding the poor and fatherless (spiritual or physical), by the helping hand, by their proselytizing or preaching the gospel that others might be saved, by serving as a servant rather than a master, by being the supporter of missions, by joying in bible study, always being ready to answer questions and giving a defense for why they believe what they do? I might be one of the few, but I actually think that both Margaret and Maurice has a good point. Maurice because he's right. No one bothered to answer Margaret;'s question until he highlighted that fact. Including me. And please don't tell me no one saw it because that's nonsense.

Simon asks, does that mean they are less Christian if they are less interested in being the good Samaritan, being the helping hand, the proselytizing servant, the supporter of missions, bible study, etc. "Pause" I mean it must mean something, right? You can't really be a good Christian and not do the will of God, can you? If we are not being the good Samaritan, not receiving the truth in love, not being the helping hand, not caring for the homeless, the widows and poor, not being the proselytizing servant, not supporting missions, not interested in studying the Bible, and all those things we know we should be doing, how can someone then say they are good Christian? That doesn't make sense to me. Using that type of logic, anyone in any religion could be a Christian because (according to this) a tree is not known by its fruits.

Now I know that no one wants to say someone is not a Christian, however, there comes a point where there is no other conclusion that we can come to given the fruits they are known by. If someone stands up and says I don't care what God'sword says, I'm going to do what I think is best, can we say that person is not a Christian? Isn't that antithetical to being a Christian? Would a Christian say that? Well, that is exactly what most false Christians do. Not verbally, but effectually. And also when most professing Christians deny the truth, neglect the gospel, will not evangelize, will not lift a finger to help another Christian, is that not what they are doing? Denying Christ? You better read your Bible more carefully. Look at every false Christian you have ever seen, heard, read, taught, or witnessed. Not one of them verbally denied Christ, but they are guilty of it anyway by their actions. Shouldn't we go by what the Bible says about it rather than just thinking that we are being loving by enabling their forgetfulness?

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

There we have God's word on it. Profession means nothing, their fruits, their works (or non-works) show they are not Christian and that they deny Christ. You don't have to verbally deny Christ to be guilty of God's word of denying Christ. Of just what Margaret was talking about.

Mt 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

Wicked and slothful servant. That's God's view of these professing Christians who are too lazy to lift a hand to help anyone but themselves. I would have thought that Christ's word on this would have settled this issue long ago. Did he not say beware of false3 prophets and false Christs? If there are false Christs, there are false Christians and you should know who they are by their fruits because that is the only way you can beware of them as Christ cautioned you. You can't profess to be Christian and hate to hear the truth, justify deceit, forsake doing God's work, and have no interest in the things He has given you to do. To do, to work.

So Margaret, yes, I see what you see in the church community as well. I think it goes back to God's prophecy. The love of God has grown cold. The fear of God is gone from their person. The spirit of God does not move them because their conscience is seared. As Erik and Mark said, we are in a time of trial or tribulation. How we react in this time of trial determines who we truly are and what spirit we truly have. The spirit of denial and justification, or the spirit of humility and truth. The spirit to will and do, or to gainsay and resist.

Pr 6:6 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
7 Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
8 Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?
10 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

The ant is wise, but the sluggard sleeps like the oilless virgins. When will they ever learn?

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 04:42:14 PM »
 )inter(   )Bible-Red(

Maurice

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »

Thank you Reformer. You're an honorable man.

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »

]ThUmBsUp[ Indeed he is. As is Tony Warren. You always get the truth from those two, whether you like it or not.

Mark

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:03 PM »

]ThUmBsUp[ Indeed he is. As is Tony Warren. You always get the truth from those two, whether you like it or not.

We thank God for Tony, Reformer,Erik and others who have blessed them with spiritual gift of teaching in these last days.

Glory to God
 )God-Bless-You(
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]