[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Roku Streaming Media Device  (Read 249 times)

PeterJ

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Roku Streaming Media Device
« on: January 31, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »

Hi all,
   I am breaking away from the high costs of cable and dish and have bought and installed Roku which I am delighted with. saves me a ton of money. It has almost every app and it's free. Well, after you buy the device.  Or you can purchase just the programs or individual movies you want cheaply. None of this is my problem. My problem is that I want twitch installed but it's the one app that is not listed on Roku apps. Does anyone know how to put twitch (a free app) on Roku? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Re: Roku Streaming Media Device
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

PeterJ

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 08:34:32 PM »

Wow, that actually worked. Thank you Erik. I had been told it was impossible to add Twitch because Amazon would allow Roku to have it. But this worked great. Thank you for your help.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
You are welcome.  Enjoy! 
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:42:11 AM »
Actually Peterj,  I have been thinking about cutting the cord myself. How does Roku work, what does it cost, does it have good free programming and movies, and how does it stack up against the other devices?

PeterJ

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »
Actually Peterj,  I have been thinking about cutting the cord myself. How does Roku work, what does it cost, does it have good free programming and movies, and how does it stack up against the other devices?

I don't want to sound like a commercial for this thing, but it's an investment of about $18.00 at Walmart and $29.00 at Amazon and Best Buy. There are higher priced models for that 4k streaming thing, but 1080 HD quality is more than good enough for me. As for how much it costs, that's entirely up to you. It can cost from zero dollars for good programming to $50.00a month depending on if you decide to rent or buy any of the newer released movies. For example, I rented the new Terminator movie just because I'm a big Terminator movie fan. That was $4.99 to have it for 2 days. Most new rentals are $3.99 for 3 or 4 days. Free programing is good with lots of different free movie channels. OIf course, most free channels do have some commercials. <But there is also everything from documentaries, national geographic, sitcoms, and tons of movies that are "not so new." Free Youtube movies, news (local and international), games, instructional stuff, there's no shortage of things to watch. You can add Netflix for like 13.99 a month I think. Now if you want to rent the latest releases, they go anywhere from 2.99 for some to about 5.99. I believe you rent them for up to 4 days or something, and then they disappear. I admit I do rent some of the better new movies. But 3.99 when I want to is a lot different than the $198.00 a month I was paying for cable for the same movies, and most movies and stations I didn't even want. Plus cable started taking off the channels that I did like in order to cut costs, but still charged me the same. Even raising rates.  That's why I left cable. There's an app for everything on Roku, Showtime, HBO, etc., you just have to use the search feature. All but Twitch, which Erik just showed me how to even get that.

How does it work? Well, it works off the internet. If you have an internet connection that can handle videos or movies (which most of us have), that's all you need. If you have low bandwidth internet you can switch to watch in standard rather than HD. You just plug the power cord in, plug the HDMI cord to your TV and you're all set.

How does it stack up against the other devices? Actually I can only tell you about the two I have used. At first, I bought the Amazon stick which was on sale for about $15.00. It worked just ok at first when it had not many channels installed, but as soon as I started adding channels it slowed down to a crawl loading. I actually had to wait about 5 seconds after I pushed a button for anything to happen, and that was just the start of loading. It was ridiculous. Called Amazon, they sent me another that did the same thing. Then they blamed it on my Internet. I had Verizon Fios and had no problem with anything else, including downloading. I looked on google and saw a lot of people were having the same Amazon stick problem. I can't speak for anything but the Amazon stick. I would never recommend it. I don't know anything about the other Amazon streaming devices like the AmazonTV or other devices. But the Amazon stick was terrible. I did like that it had the speech option though, which My Roku only has a remote.

I spoke to a lot of electronics forum folk and they recommended Roku more than the others. I bought that (Ironically from Amazon) and it was great right out of the box and it has been great ever since. I added so many channels I can't count them and it's still fast. Super fast channel changes, fast app installing and loading, great remote, haven't changed the remote's battery (2 AAA) since I bought it so it has a long battery life as well. I love this thing and will never go back to hat near $200.00 a month cable again. Maybe that's why they are losing money. So many people are switching. I just saw the New Roku out and it's $75.00. You don't need that unless you are a stickler for ultra-high definition.

Kevin Wright

• Always Reforming
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
I like and endorse Roku too Rich. Roku does now have voice remote Peterj

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Voice-Remote-Official-Players/dp/B07WVFCKSS

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]