[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Who was the Wife of Cain?  (Read 489 times)

Neeson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Who was the Wife of Cain?
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
Hello,
  I've been trying to find out who was the wife of Cain? Where did she come from? In fact, where did any of Adam's sons find wives or his daughters find husbands? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mark

Re: Who was the Wife of Cain?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
Hello,
  I've been trying to find out who was the wife of Cain? Where did she come from? In fact, where did any of Adam's sons find wives or his daughters find husbands? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi and welcome Neeson,

Quick answer is the wife of Cain was Adam and Eve’s daughter or grand daughter considering nearly 130 years have past since creation. Consider the following:

Gen 4:25
And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
Gen 5:3
And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

All of mankind are descended from our first parents in Adam (meaning man) and Eve (mother of all the living).

Gen 3:20
And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

Neeson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:32:06 AM »

Hi Mark and thanks for replying. So you're saying that incest was not forbidden originally?  That it became forbidden later on in the history of mankind?

PeterJ

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:07:27 AM »
No I don't think so Neeson. Incest is forbidden by God. Unless I missed something.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
No I don't think so Neeson. Incest is forbidden by God. Unless I missed something.

I think you missed that Adam and Eve is the two people from which all of mankind sprung. That would necesarrily mean that in the beginning brothers and sisters, and then cousins and others, were allowed to marry.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »

Hi Mark and thanks for replying. So you're saying that incest was not forbidden originally?  That it became forbidden later on in the history of mankind?

Hi Neeson, that would be a given in the early years of creation since God said the first man was Adam, he didn’t have another group of people born from apart of him which is a spurious teaching of a pre-adamic race.

1st Cor 15:45
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”

Reggie Matthews

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:44:05 AM »

Does anyone know when it became a sin?  It had to be after the flood, right?
"Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?" -Ecclesiastes 8:4

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »

Hey everyone. This is an interesting topic. Since God has made a law forbidding incest today, does that mean that some sin didn't used to be sin in the past, but became sin later on?  )thinker(

Roger Dodson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
 )inter( )thinker(

Mark

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
Try to follow, sin is transgression of God’s law, when the law is given if you transgress the law you sin against God.

Rom 5:13
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Concerning the law of incest.

Lev 18:6-9
6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.
7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.
9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.

It was certainly necessary to inter-marry in the early years as mankind would all be Adam and Eve’s physical children.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

Mark, I believe that if something is a sin today, then it was a sin yesterday. You can't have it both ways. Do you believe in new sins? Every sin that is today, has been a sin a thousand years ago. There are no new sins that were not sins before.

Forward

• Forward
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
Hi Neeson, you can read the answer by Tony Warren available here on the website,

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/who_was_cains_wife.shtml

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:35:52 PM »
 )cLaPpInGg(  I thought I had read all of Tony's articles, but this is proof I haven't. Thanks Forward, that was a good explanation.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
I read the article and wondered why the early families get to live to 800 years when we can only live up to 75-100.  That is pretty a long time. Think Adam stay faithful with Eve until death?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Mark

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »

Mark, I believe that if something is a sin today, then it was a sin yesterday. You can't have it both ways. Do you believe in new sins? Every sin that is today, has been a sin a thousand years ago. There are no new sins that were not sins before.

So Joe I take it you believe Cain didn’t marry his relative making God’s word null and void by Adam not being the first man and thereby destroying the doctrine of original sin? If you look it up, the law to marry sister/relatives was given at the time of Moses (Lev 17:26)thousands of years later than the time of Cain and Abel. Like I said before sin is transgression of God’s commandments, when God said to Adam you may eat of all the trees in the garden except for the tree of knowledge of good and bad and then Adam and Eve disobeyed God and that’s when sin and death entered the world. As it is written.

James 1:13-16
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]