[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?  (Read 419 times)

Frank Mortimer

Re: Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
Some Christians Give Christianity a Bad Name
Michael Jinkins

Some Christians give Christianity a bad name. This is not a new thing.

Skip a stone across the ripply surface of history and we are likely to hit so many shame-filled incidents starring Christians as villains that will make us cringe, blush or run to the closest confessional box to repent from guilt-by-association deferred for generations if not centuries. Certainly we aren’t the only guilty religious people in the world. But I can’t confess somebody else’s sins, only mine.

Crusades that were an excuse for rape, vandalism, murder and theft on a large scale; inquisitions aimed at preventing variety in thought or belief, science or faith; violence and torture used to reinforce an ecclesial grip on power; witch hunts, the real kind, in which superstition is yoked to violence in the service of greed and petty revenge; and warfare, bloody-mindedness and pride dressed-up in holy garb: these are only a start.

We remember the question asked by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, as he was driving in a car through a white neighborhood a few decades ago. Dr. King looked up and saw a magnificent church steeple rising above a beautiful, carefully manicured campus. He asked, “What kind of people worship here? Who is their God?” This Question has haunted me since I first read it in Dr. King’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.”

It sometimes feels as though Jesus is standing between the famed “woman caught in adultery” and a band of Christians as self-deluded as self-righteous as anyone he faced in his time, saying, “Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone.” But instead of dropping their rocks and going home in shame the way Jesus’s ancient audience did, these Christian folks say, “You heard him boys! Fire away! Kill that sinner!” Then, stepping down from their moral high ground, they gather somewhere in a dark room to coordinate schemes to support whatever disreputable leaders will further their goals no matter what other damage their policies might do.

Some Christians give Christianity a bad name, to the point that many Christians these days are hesitant to own the label of their faith. It is not that they are ashamed of Jesus Christ, just his fan club. Again, this is not a new thing. But old or new, it isn’t so good.

I recall driving one day through East Texas, my childhood neck of the woods, and passing a church with a message board out front. The next Sunday was Easter, so the preacher had chosen an apt Bible verse for the sign. Apt, but unfortunate, given the unintended message. The sign in front of the church read: “Why do you look for the living among the dead. He is not here.” (Luke 24: 5)

Ouch!

Preaching at a Presbytery meeting in the Midwest a few years ago I said something that has gotten quoted a lot. It was in a moment of frustration. I said, “You don’t have to be mean or stupid to follow Jesus!” Even though I’ve simmered down since then, I still believe what I said is true.

I know we Christians can do better. It’s the reason I haven’t given up hope in us. I sure hope God hasn’t.

Tim Norton

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »
Crusades that were an excuse for rape, vandalism, murder and theft on a large scale; inquisitions aimed at preventing variety in thought or belief, science or faith; violence and torture used to reinforce an ecclesial grip on power; witch hunts, the real kind, in which superstition is yoked to violence in the service of greed and petty revenge; and warfare, bloody-mindedness and pride dressed-up in holy garb: these are only a start.

Sounds like Republican political evangelism to me. Christians acting just like the world.

He asked, “What kind of people worship here? Who is their God?” This Question has haunted me since I first read it in Dr. King’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.”

The answer to his question is Christians who are not Christian.

Some Christians give Christianity a bad name, to the point that many Christians these days are hesitant to own the label of their faith. It is not that they are ashamed of Jesus Christ, just his fan club.

It's not his fan club, it's their fan club. If they were a fan of Christ, they wouldn't be doing and supporting the things that they are.

The sign in front of the church read: “Why do you look for the living among the dead. He is not here.” (Luke 24: 5)

Ouch!

That sign should be in front of a lot of dead churches.

I know we Christians can do better. It’s the reason I haven’t given up hope in us. I sure hope God hasn’t.

It's not that there is no hope in us, but that there is no hope in them. Because our hope comes from the spirit of truth, which they don't have. But that the true church always will.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 02:04:26 AM »

I don't know how many times we have to tell you guys, the church is doing fine. Can you not understand english. You're the only ones talking about this supposed apostasy. Christians are coming out more than ever for a more conservative Christian world. It's only the liberals, the reformed and Democrats that don't seem to like the upsurge in evangelical popularity. Get over yourself.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
Quote from: George
I don't know how many times we have to tell you guys, the church is doing fine.

And I don't know how many times we have proved you wrong and have warned you several times that the physical, unfaithful and corporate church, not the True Church, do fall and in state of apostasy as Scrpture declared?  Only the Elect can "see" and standing afar off but the foolish virgins are still going to church "thinking" she is fine, and not aware of her judgment, Matthew 25:1-10, Matthew 24:15-16.  Try to read the Scripture yourself, or will you contiune to mock us like what the sons in law did to Lot, Genesis 19:14?

Can you not understand english.

Can you not understand and receive the Word of God...even in English?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 03:35:18 AM »

That my friend is delusional. You think the church should be involved in what it involved with? unapologetic friendship with the world, condoning false doctrine, rejecting the truth of scripture, indulging the false narrative of the Christless Israel, and so on? What church of Christ does that except it be apostate. You should listen to Erik and supply some scripture for your beliefs for a change. The church is not doing fine. The church hasn't been doing fine for years.

II Thess. 2:3
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition."

What are the chances that the people of the church are deceived so that they don't recognize that falling away? Because that's what the word says about them. They are under strain delusion and worship the man of sin. So are you denying what this scripture prophecies will happen?

You're the only ones talking about this supposed apostasy.

And the rest of you scoff at such an idea? That's really very sad. But even if true, it doesn't matter. The truth is not decided by popularity.

II Peter 3:3
"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."

All things of the church continue as they were from the beginning of the creation huh? I don't believe that. I believe there is such a falling away that any witness to the truth is condemned, just as you are doing now.

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 05:14:58 AM »

That my friend is delusional.

)iagree(

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The time has come.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »

Some are giving Christians a bad name. Mainly the puritans, baptists, reformed and other hypocrites who think the law replaces grace.

Mark

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »

Some are giving Christians a bad name. Mainly the puritans, baptists, reformed and other hypocrites who think the law replaces grace.

Isaiah 30:8-11
8 Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever:
9 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.

What says God to this rebellious congregation.

Isaiah 30:12-14
12 Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
13 Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
14 And he shall break it as the breaking of the potters' vessel that is broken in pieces; he shall not spare: so that there shall not be found in the bursting of it a sherd to take fire from the hearth, or to take water withal out of the pit.

Those who are giving Christians a bad name are those whose love of God has grown cold, who have itching ears and seek smooth things. As for the hypocrites:

Mark 7:6
He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with [their] lips, but their heart is far from me.
“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
Proverbs 30:5,6

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »

Thank you Mark

Philly Dawg

• Affiliate Member
  • Thinking Christians
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »
All The False Prophets Gather Together To worship The Beast

"I Know Thy Works, That Thou Hast A Name That Thou Livest, And Art Dead."

Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 03:44:18 AM »
Liberal Christians are giving us a bad name, but other than that, the answer is no. People who condemn Israel are those that give Christians a bad name. Like you Philly, who condemn and mock Jerusalem as the holy city and its people as God's chosen. And like you Reformer who condemns evangelicals simply because they stand by their President. That is what is disgraceful and that gives us all a bad name.  )S_Confused(

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
TRUE AND FALSE CHRISTIANS
By Martin Luther

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and remarked, “Here is a true Israelite who is sincere.”
JOHN 1:47

THE LORD CHRIST DOES NOT want us to brag about being a Christian or, as in the case of Nathanael, being an Israelite. It’s not enough to say, “I am baptized” or even to say, “I am a bishop,” “I am a cardinal” or “I am a preacher.” You must believe in Christ and live like a Christian. You must be righteous both on the inside and on the outside. You must not be embarrassed of the Lord Christ and the Christian faith. If you are, then you are a false Christian. If you don’t believe in your heart, your entire life is a lie and you remain in darkness. You aren’t righteous, and you only appear to be Christian. Your actions don’t reflect your Christian faith.

If we could separate Christians from one another and divide them into true and false Christians, how many true Christians would we find? The world is crazy, foolish, and wild. It’s filled with all kinds of evil – adultery, drunkenness, vindictiveness, and other sins. It’s no longer considered a sin for people to cheat each other. Yet these same people want to be considered good Christians.

Believe me, you’re not fooling anyone but yourself. God isn’t fooled or mocked. He will know what you are really like in an instant, just as he knew that Nathanael was a true Israelite who believed in the prophets. He will look at you and say, “Yes, here is a true Christian!”
"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
Liberal Christians are giving us a bad name

And Conservatives, and Moderates, and Independents, Baptists, Puritans, Lutherans, Southerners, Northeners, and everyone else in between. Anyone who does unrighteousness in the name of Christianity gives Christianity and Christians proclaiming it a bad name. These foolish labels are not helpful. It's the spirit of truth that counts.

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

Kirk

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »

Look at it this way. Did the priests and leaders of Christ's congregation give it a nad name or did they give themselves a bad name?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
Quote from: Kirk
Look at it this way. Did the priests and leaders of Christ's congregation give it a nad name or did they give themselves a bad name?

Not only the unfaithful leaders of Christ's congregation give it a bad name, but also all professed people of the congregation deceived by them. As a congregation, they are falling, where true Elect are commanded to come out when they see it.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]