[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?  (Read 420 times)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?
« on: December 28, 2019, 02:30:26 AM »
Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?

...or are the false evangelicals, false Christians, false prophets, and false teachers just a symptom of an already fallen church? I talked with some Christians who deny that the church is growing apostate. They say it's just the ebb and flow that has always followed Christianity and I'm simply being dramatic. What do you guys think? On the poll, do you believe that Christians are starting to act just like the world and giving Christianity a bad name, or maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there?

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Are Christians Giving Christians A Bad Name?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 03:00:55 AM »

No, that's crazy. Are some Christians unfaithful? Yes, but that doesn't mean they are not living the name of Christ, no one is perfect. If I say anything, I would say Amillennialists give Christians a bad name more than anyone because they deny the truth of the covenant with Israel and make the wild claim that satan is bound. But overall, no, Christianity is vibrant and in this country growing now that we have a moral leader in the white house working against abortion and muslims.

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:48:26 AM »

It all depends upon what you mean by Christians. I voted yes, but only because I didn't want it misconstrued that I think these people calling themselves Christians are actually representing Christ. But to be more precise, I would say professing Christians give "the church" a bad name. Because they can't give us (particular Christians) a bad name. They can only make the church seem like a house of hypocrites. Which is why it's important not to be a part of any such group.

PeterJ

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 06:23:54 AM »

Dude, you should know that some parts of the church have shifted their emphasis. This is not something to get bent all out of shape for. The Christian church has been constantly shifting and changing from its start. Yes, sometimes it has been for the worse, but oftentimes for the better.

8) Take a chill pill and realize the sky is not falling. The world will be fine and the church will be here long after you're gone.

Peng Bao

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
But to be more precise, I would say professing Christians give "the church" a bad name.

I like that answer.  )cLaPpInGg(

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
Quote from: Reformer
What do you guys think?

I believe that the false prophets and christs and their worshipers, as well as their doctrines of the devil) are the symptom of God's wrath upon His unfaithful congregation. Something we can "see" as a sign.

Rev 13:11
(11) And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

The beast is a BODY of false christs and false prophets.

Rev 13:13-14
(13)  And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
(14)  And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

The doctrines of the beast (false christs and false prophets) is God's judgment upon those so they will believe a lie and worship the image the beast.

Rev 20:7-9
(7)  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
(8 ) And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
(9)  And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

The operation of the beast is world-wide assault against God's congregations, wherever the camp of the Saints dwells.

Mat 24:15-16
(15)  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
(16)  Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

And God warned his Elect that when they see the abomination of desolation (ie. the fire come down from heaven upon the holy place - church).  Flee.

Rev 11:11-14
(11)  And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
(12)  And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
(13)  And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
(14)  The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

This is the judgment of the unfaithful congregation where the totality of the congregations all over the world will be destroyed. In other words, they will be deceived (by the locusts - false prophets and christs) that they will not able to find salvation through their doctrines, Revelation 9:5-6.  The days of salvation is over and the judgment of the church has come.

Reformer, based on my understanding of the Scripture above, I believe that we are very close to or already in a period of judgment of the Church,  if we are seeing the same thing.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
I believe that you are correct sir.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »

I do not believe that Erik is correct. Like Peter said, it's not that bad, you're not chicken little, and the sky is not falling. Things will get better when Israel turns back to Christ.

Simon

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 05:41:50 PM »
Some are. But some bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 02:09:17 AM »
>>>
Some are. But some bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch.
<<<

Any farmer will tell you that in reality, it does. Look it up. One rotten "anything" will usually spoil what's around it if not separated and left in contact with it. If you're thinking of the song, it's just a song with no actual basis in reality.

Colossians 2:8
  • "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

God is very literally saying "watch/look" out for bad apples that will lead you away from the truth of God's word. One literal apple can and does spoil the whole bunch. Likewise, one "analogous" apple can also spoil the whole bunch. Whether it is in general, in community, in politics, or in church. Every government has laws to separate bad apples from society lest they breed more lawlessness. The church is no different. Why would we think God forbids friendship with the world and marriage to unbelievers? ...It is because God Knows that these people will spoil us. Thus we need to be separated from them as a moral people and as a distinct congregation. Just as a spoiled apple, we should know that they will marr, cause decay, degradation, and contaminate us with their lawlessness, beliefs, and Godless love of this world. Which was typified in the laws concerning Israel.

Judges 3:5-7
  • "And the children of Israel dwelt among the Canaanites, Hittites, and Amorites, and Perizzites, and Hivites, and Jebusites:
  • And they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons, and served their gods.
  • And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and forgat the LORD their God, and served Baalim and the groves."

And the children of Israel (whose children we ultimately are) had fallen into that same snare of being unequally yoked together with unbelievers and had forgotten their Lord God--just like us. Forgotten that they were to be a separated people, a distinct people set apart from the world, and not just like the world. How? Like bad apples not being separated from the bunch, we have the creeping rot among us.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 02:54:13 AM »
 )Goodpoint(

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 04:00:41 AM »

That is the truth Tony. Cancer starts with one cell that corrupts and increases.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
Yeah but people sometimes live and recover from cancer. Never count the church out.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:53:45 AM »
I'm not sure, but they are giving themselves a bad name and they are representing Christians. So maybe the answer is yes. )Say_what(

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »

There are some really good answers here. Really good. I would say yes to the question since people generally evaluate Christianity based on what they see of Christians. If a majority of Christians are unrighteous, one can't help but think this is the normal behavior of Christians, right? I don't think they should, but I believe that is what we all do. So unfortunately, I think that Christians can get a bad reputation from a poor representation by other Christians.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]