[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Celebrating Christmas  (Read 463 times)

Mason

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Celebrating Christmas
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:45:48 AM »

I have searched and googled all over and I find that there is really no argument or ban against observing Christmas or any other selected day by the church except in Reformed Protestantism. It's not in general Protestantism or even Eastern Orthodoxy I have only heard of this prohibition since I started getting into Reformed church doctrines. My question here is do you all not celebrate Christmas or are there some who do?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Celebrating Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
I have searched and googled all over and I find that there is really no argument or ban against observing Christmas or any other selected day by the church except in Reformed Protestantism. It's not in general Protestantism or even Eastern Orthodoxy. I have only heard of this prohibition since I started getting into Reformed church doctrines.

Just as in any other church, sometimes Reformed tradition is looked upon as if it were Bible doctrine. It is not. The most you will find this teaching is in those churches that hold to a Regulative principle of worship, which isn't  doctrine rooted in Scripture either. But that's a different topic.

My question here is do you all not celebrate Christmas or are there some who do?

Most of the Christians who frequent this forum celebrate Christman, though there are a few who seem to want to judge. Any Reformed regulative principle that is teaching that God forbids anyone from celebrating Christmas is just their personal opinion based on their church tradition and not an actual Christian doctrine from scripture. It is important to make that distinction.

Ro 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Clearly any Christian is permitted to regard one day above another as long as he is fully convinced in his own mind to observes it unto the Lord. No tradition of regulative principle can make null and void what the Lord says about this. According to these verses of Romans, any Christian can rightfully set aside any day as special, including Christmas, Easter, or a day of Thanksgiving. To those of us who celebrate these, it is a special day set aside for worship and thanks to the Lord. Personally I think that despite all the commercialization of Christmas by unbelievers, these days afford God-fearing Christians with a great opportunity to witness, worship, thank, and exalt Jesus Christ.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
A number of unorthodox new Christian religions like the Jehovah’s Witnesses also claim that Christmas is a pagan festival to be shunned by believers. None of these sects use the bible as their authority, they go by tradition, opinion and the doctrine of their church rather than the doctrine of Christ. Reformer is correct, the Bible makes it clear we can celebrate Christ's birth if we want, on any day that we want. There is also a thread here on the subject somewhere.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
Hello Laura and Merry Christmas.

I will post what Tony wrote the other day that I felt is a good explanation:
“How can you say
please study more when you offer as proof Jeremiah chapter 10? Perhaps it is you that needs to study more. Celebrating the Lord's birth with a Christmas tree, candle, or on a certain day is not a sign of apostasy. I do not think that you really understand what apostasy is.There is no mention of the Christmas tree in scripture. This is another of the "well oiled myths" that people who sloppily skim the scriptures have been passing around for years. Yes, the Christmas tree has become the most controversial part of Christmas. And many people (like yourself) point to it as a pagan ritual, offering up the book of Jeremiah chapter 10 as proof that a Christmas trees is spoken of in evil terms. But is this an accurate accounting? Don't search Google, search the scriptures!

Jeremiah 10:2-4
  • "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
  • For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe."
  • They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
Unfortunately, this erroneous conclusion of this referring to a Christmas tree has been floating around for years. It comes up every Christmas season like clockwork. But the Biblical fact is, this chapter has nothing whatsoever to do with a Christmas tree. If you would compare scripture with scripture and simply read the context carefully you would see it is another "typical" misapplication of scripture. Jeremiah is talking about idol worship, not a Christmas tree. In those days men carved wood idols and put faces and jewels in them and worshiped them. Not unlike today's native American totem poles, or African carved idols and stone images. Do men carry Christmas trees around because they cannot move? Any "careful" and studied consideration of the chapter "in context" would show that an idol is what is being spoken about. But many like yourself, for your own self serving reasons, declare that this is talking about a Christmas tree. It's another example of how something can be made to "appear" to be speaking about one thing, but when carefully examined, it's shown to be error. There are a lot of professed Christians who excel in Straw Men, distraction, and out-of-context scriptures. That's why it is incumbent upon faithful Christians to try the spirits and search out the texts themselves. We must do this so that we are not confused by such a scattergun approach of throwing out a lot of scriptures without careful consideration.

The real good or evil celebration of Christmas with a tree, comes down to what is in the heart, not what is in the house! Whatsoever is not of faith, is sin. If we feel we cannot glorify God with a Christmas tree in our house, then by all means we should not have one! But if we can look upon that tree merely as a beacon to all, a symbol to signify to all the present, beauty, and joy in the celebration of the birth of our Saviour, then by all means we may freely display it. Under no circumstances should we to speak evil of another man's good. Unfortunately, that is what many today excel at. Judging unrighteously!  Christians of all people should understand that Good and evil are of men, not of symbols or in objects? Just as the Lord gave us the example of things sacrificed to idols being eaten, and not inherently evil (1st Corinthians 8 ). There is no inherent evil in the meats, but "in the man" only. Yes, we are not to cause our brother to stumble, but likewise we are not to think someone observing a day lawfully, unto the Lord, is evil. Consider what the scriptures say, and then consider what it means, and then explain how anyone can sin by esteeming this day as signifying Christ's birth unto the Lord.

Romans 14:3-6
  • "Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
  • Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
  • One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind
  • He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks."
Since in the New Testament we are not "required" to esteem any day but the Sabbath, what can this scripture possibly be talking about "if" not that we "CAN" esteem one day or another unto the Lord and that we Christians are not to judge those Christians who do, as "to His own master he stands or fall." ..is it not, "Case Closed?"

If one "insists" that we cannot celebrate on any special days unto the lord because it's not commanded, then this passage becomes meaningless. As it is obviously saying that we CAN, and more than that, it is saying to "real" Christians not to judge God's Children in this observance of days. Unfortunately some prideful professing Christians simply do not want to look at this passage carefully to understand what it is saying. But it is saying if we don't want to look at it as a holy day, Fine, but do not judge Others who do observe it, for they observe it unto the Lord!

Selah
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
 )GoodPopst( Thanks Erik

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 03:43:01 AM »

Considering all of scripture, isn't the real question "How should a Christian celebrate Christmas?"
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 04:48:07 AM »
Yesh, how should a Christian celebrate Christmas? Like the world or with reverence and respect for Christ? It's true that celebrating the birth of Christ is not commanded anywhere in scripture. However, we should know from those same scriptures, and even just from common sense that it is appropriate. The celebration and reverence of the birth of Christ on any day is always appropriate. We don't need to listen to the legal mumble-jumble of the modern-day scribes and lawyers, celebrating Christ's birth has no drawback. Tony wrote a good article about this subject which can be found here.

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/should-christians-celebrate-christmas.html

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »

This is the one thing that I agree with Tony Warren about. Don't listen to the crazy Calvinists who claim that it's unlawful to celebrate Christmas. Like the catholic Priests they sprung from, they try to take away your liberty by preaching their word is law instead of God's grace with Christian liberty.

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 03:36:07 AM »
Do Christians have the liberty to celebrate the birth of Christ on a day called Christmas? The only answer from the bible is yes, the answer from man is maybe, the answer from the regulative principle is no. The regulative principle is that there can be no form of worship of God but by His express commands or examples, which is not from the scriptures. It's something that is read into scripture.
"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 04:02:15 AM »
 )amen( Anspach And Mery Christmas

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 04:11:19 AM »

I have searched and googled all over and I find that there is really no argument or ban against observing Christmas or any other selected day by the church except in Reformed Protestantism. It's not in general Protestantism or even Eastern Orthodoxy I have only heard of this prohibition since I started getting into Reformed church doctrines. My question here is do you all not celebrate Christmas or are there some who do?

Most here celebrate Christmas because we see it as a day to have a special celebration of the Lord's birth. More info and related topics.

Should Christians Celebrate Christmas
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=487.0

Should Christians Celebrate Thanksgiving?
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3042.0

Should Christians Celebrate Easter?
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=996.0

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »

Should Christians Celebrate Easter?
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=996.0

I had forgotten about those Diane. This one is a particularly enlightening thread PROVING by biblical exegesis that the day is what you make of it and not inherently evil, pagan or unclean. Worth reading for all. Some Christians just seem blinded to the truth by what they have been spoon-fed with select scriptures out of context.

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 05:08:55 AM »
Hello Laura and Merry Christmas.

I will post what Tony wrote the other day that I felt is a good explanation:
Selah

)Goodpoint( Erik

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]