[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Dream dreams and visions  (Read 313 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Dream dreams and visions
« on: November 29, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Joe 2:28-29
(28)  And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
(29)  And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Act 2:16-18
(16)  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
(17)  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
(18)  And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

I have visited some forums and noticd that more and more people are making claims that they were having dreams about terrible things that they interpretered to going to take place soon.  For example, one woman said that there will be a tornados hitting Earth that will last for days. Another man said that he was inspired by his dream that he went out and met with neo-nazi to discuss about their technology he considered as the abomination of desolation. Another woman claimed in her dream that Jesus told her that her daughter will get married soon.

What is up with those wild claims? They defended their claim with the verses above.  I do not believe this.  What about you?

I understand that God has poured his Spirit (Holy Spirit) upon His people to prophesy with GOSPEL, but to have "dream dreams and seeing visions?"  Exactly what did the Lord talk about here?  Will the Lord appear to us in our dreams like He did with Joseph in the Old Testament?  Will we be given a vision like God did with Daniel?

Thanks.     

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Dream dreams and visions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Act 2:16-18
(16)  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
(17)  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
(18)  And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

What is up with those wild claims? They defended their claim with the verses above.  I do not believe this.  What about you?

They are taking scripture out of context and making it pretext. That verse refers to Christ's first advent and the start of the New Testament church. The visions and dreams are Revelations of Christ's kingdom through miracles and wonders that pointed to him and his New Testament church. Not a prophecy for today's foolish pentecostals, charismatics, and charlatans. Dreams and visions have ceased because God's word is complete. Just as signs, miracles, and wonders have ceased. They pointed to Christ and his work just like raising the dead or making the blind see.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
Thank you Reformer. 
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »
Thank you Reformer.

Why? It's not true. Miracles haven't ceased and neither has dreams and visions. The word promises we will dream dreams, see visions, and perform miracles. You should be careful what you deny.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »
You should be careful what you deny.

Actually it is you who should be careful NOT to deny what Scripture says. The dream dreams and visions were part of signs, miracles, and wonders pointing to Christ.

Understand the SIGNS that follow Believers!

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
Challenges of the Charismatic Movement to the Reformed Tradition

https://opc.org/OS/html/V7/3a.html

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
They are taking scripture out of context and making it pretext.

Oh are they now?  ::)

That verse refers to Christ's first advent and the start of the New Testament church.

That sounds like a private interpretation to me.

The visions and dreams are Revelations of Christ's kingdom through miracles and wonders that pointed to him and his New Testament church.

How about reading the scripture of who and what will happen.

Joel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Pretty plain language I would say.

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
They are taking scripture out of context and making it pretext.

Oh are they now?  ::)

Yup!
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Rupert

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
Thank you Reformer.

)ditto(  These signs and wonders people never cease to amaze me. There's not been one single provable miracle after the word of God was completed, and yet they all have this blind faith that the sign of miracles still happen. Where, when, how? I've seen no one walk on water, cast out a devil, restore a withered hand, lay hands on the blind, raise the dead, or feed 5000 with a fish. This blind faith can only be diabolical deception from Satan on evangelicals.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice

Mark

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
How about reading the scripture of who and what will happen.

Let’s see what God says will happen then.

2 Thess 2:9-12
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Pretty plain language too wouldn’t you agree?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
Quote from: Mark

Yeah, so Apostolic, tell us with few examples of what is Satan's power and signs and lying wonders in plain language?

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 03:29:35 AM »
Quote from: Mark

Yeah, so Apostolic, tell us with few examples of what is Satan's power and signs and lying wonders in plain language?

It's false prophets. That's not God's prophets who dream dreams and who sees visions. For example, Christians have witnessed many dreams come to pass.

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/dreams-that-actually-come-to-pass.7516566/

Edward

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 03:31:30 AM »

Can anyone shed some light on specifically what dreams and visions of Joel referred to and if they still hold true today?

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »

You know what? How dare you say I cannot have prophetic dreams and visions. I should be asking you to show scripture where it says Christians won't receive signs and wonders, won't speak in tongues, and won't dream dreams and see visions.. Mark 16 says that and neither you nor Tony can make it say different. Lying signs and wonders may be you lying about there being no signs and wonders. Prove miracles have ceased or shut up!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]