[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Really Is Salvation  (Read 467 times)

Kevin Madson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
What Really Is Salvation
« on: October 19, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »

Hi everyone. I would really like an answer of just what salvation is?  What I mean is, what does it consist of, when does it happen in our lives and is it something permanent?

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
Re: What Really Is Salvation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 01:35:02 AM »

Hi everyone. I would really like an answer of just what salvation is?  What I mean is, what does it consist of, when does it happen in our lives and is it something permanent?

Basically, salvation is "life After Death." It consists of eternal life with the Lord, is permanent, and happens the moment we have been endowed with the spirit Christ's resurrection.

Joh 11:25-26
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:35:45 AM »

"Salvation is the free gift that God gives to us, free from any obligations, remuneration, or debts. Our lives lived in a manner that is pleasing to God, is His pleasure, and our Spirit fueled offerings of thanksgiving for His work in us." - Tony Warren

Salvation is our deliverance from eternal death, through eternal life. It cannot be bargained for or limited, and it is non-negotiable.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
 )iagree(  )amen(

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »

Hi everyone. I would really like an answer of just what salvation is? 

Kevin, despite what some here are telling you, your salvation is an ongoing process, it is not something that is a magic potion given you at some time. The one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church teaches (and the bible confirms) repeated authority from Jesus to renounce the doctrine of once saved, always saved, as well as that of eternal security.  In Luke 12:42-46 Christ described how a faithful servant could turn into an unfaithful one. This is because salvation is not a one-time spiritual event, it is an ongoing process.

Linda

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 03:40:08 PM »
Nice Reformer. Leave it to Tony Warren to put things so precisely and yet so clearly Biblically and in the sphere of the sovereignty of God. Very succinct. It's not of us, it's something done for us.

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:05:46 AM »

Maybe on what is salvation, but can anyone be saved?  Do we ask and it is done? The idea of salvation is extremely complex, and our concept of it directly influences how we live, evangelize, and interact with the people around us.
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »

No Rose, salvation is by election. Not by one's own choosing. It is by the sovereign grace of God.

"Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. Romans 11:5"

Henry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »

Saved is self explanitory, isn't it ?  Saved!

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
>>>
can anyone be saved?  Do we ask and it is done?
<<<

If we ask in the Spirit of Truth, then yes. The problem is, no one will/can because we all love our sin too much. God says seek, ask, come and you will be saved. But our own addiction, bondage or slavery to sin (for all intents and purposes) makes it impossible for us to cease from sin and come on God's terms. Thus no one can come to Him without God's help. It's our "responsibility" not to sin, and we "can" stop sinning--but for how long?  i.e., I can block sinful thoughts from my mind, but for how long. Just as anyone can hold their breath, but for how long? We know that ultimately, it is our nature to breathe. God's word declares that the wages of sin is death (Ezekiel 18:4; Romans 6:23), and 1st John 1:8-9 says that we should not deceive ourselves (lie to ourselves) because we're all sinners.  But if we confess our sins to God He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins through the propitiation of Christ. So then, the question isn't why some are not Saved, the question is why doesn't all mankind just believe, confess their sins, and be forgiven? The answer is, because they really don't want to. They can't bring themselves to make that sacrifice and come to Christ--at least not on God's terms. So does that fault and that responsibility fall upon mankind or upon God? Man is "responsible" for his own sin and rebellion, not God. And so even though man can't come because of his desire to sin, God of His own sovereign will has decided to have mercy on some regardless. And that is His "Sovereign Right" to do so.

John 6:44
  • "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Christ says come, confess, believe and be forgiven, but no one will without being drawn to do it by the Father. That's the word of truth from the God who cannot lie. Therefore, all anyone has to do is have faith or believe Him. But that's no small "task" since we are all born willful, rebellious, and in bondage (slavey) to sin through the fall of Adam. Saving ourselves is an impossible task/work.

Galatians 2:16
  • "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

Yes, our Lord says "whosoever will," but because of our rebellious nature, no one can because we all love our sin and don't really want to give it up. Sinners are sinners because of their "own" desire to sin. No one makes them sin, and that includes God. But we need not despair, for God has provided a man of saving faith to strengthen us and deliver us from this bondage through His death and resurrection. Basically that's what real salvation is.

Another thing that often gets lost regarding this question is that the Christian word "saved" not only means that we are saved "from" our sins, but also "for" God's work in the field. In other words, to then freely work as the Lord's servants to bring the gospel to the world so that others also might become saved. Unfortunately, today's Christians don't seem to understand what service is (Revelation 2:19). We are stewards of the gospel and our service is as Revelation 2:19 commends, our works, charity, faith, and patience, with the last being more than the first. Something I find sorely lacking.

>>>
The idea of salvation is extremely complex, and our concept of it directly influences how we live, evangelize, and interact with the people around us.
<<<

In one sense that is true, but in another sense salvation is as simple as belief or faith, and that characterized by the Spirit of truth in us.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]