[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Do All Religions Lead To The Same God?  (Read 1547 times)

Jenny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Do All Religions Lead To The Same God?
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:25:30 AM »

Good website, a little dated but the content is outstanding.

I have been talking to some Christians who are telling me that doctrine isn't really essential and that all religions lead to God. I don't believe that is true, but their argument was that whatever name people call him, or give to their deity, it's the same God. My question is, do all religions lead to the same God?

Dan

• Dan the Man
Re: Do All Religions Lead To The Same God?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:30:31 AM »

Good website, a little dated but

Dated is an understatement. It looks like a website from the 1980s.   :P

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:44 AM »
>>>
I have been talking to some Christians who are telling me that doctrine isn't really essential...
<<<

On the contrary, doctrine doesn't just matter, it is essential for even knowing which God you actually serve. How would you even know that you are serving the God of the Bible if you are not following His doctrine written in the Bible? Can I be living for Christ and following His doctrines if I am holding to the doctrines of Balaam? Is evidence of faithful doctrine being loved by everyone? What doctrines we follow are evidence of what God we serve. What religion we are a part of determines whether we are actually a follower of Christ or a usurper of His name. The messenger of God writes to the church in Pergamos concerning this very topic and the great importance of doctrine.

Revelation 2:14-16
  • "But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
  • So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
  • Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth."

Does the Lord God hate doctrines that don't matter in the big scheme of things, and does he fight against those who hold them because their doctrines are insignificant? Not according to His word. Clearly the doctrines of those claiming to be of His name, and in His church, and yet teaching falsely, do matter. Doctrines matter because the truths that He teaches matters. False gods being served in His church matters. They aren't gods that all lead to Jehovah God, these religions their "doctrines" are what defines exactly whom we truly serve, and that matters.

>>>
...and that all religions lead to God?
<<<

All religions do not lead to God. At least not in the sense that those who make this claim believe. There is only one true religion, and so while being in a false religion might facilitate someone's understanding that there is a God (Romans 1:20) that controls the universe, but that doesn't equate to them serving that God. Moreover, false religions will never bring anyone to the saving knowledge of that God, only His grace can. It will not demonstrate that their only hope of life and salvation is through the one Jehovah God. That is to say, "the God whom their religion does not serve!" So though it might lead to "a god" in their own image and of their own making, it will not lead anyone to "Thee God" with whom they have to do.

>>>
I don't believe that is true, but their argument was that whatever name people call him, or give to their deity, it's the same God.
<<<

Clearly that is not true if we take the Lord Jehovah God at His word. Not only are they not the same God, and not called by the same name, God's word is clear the evil of being unequally yoked together with other religions, whether in marriage, of worshipping with them, and of associating with people who serve these other gods.

Exodus 34:14-16
  • "For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
  • Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
  • And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

So while their vain argument is that whatever name people call him, or that they give to their deity, it's the same God, let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4 ) Listen to what our Lord's word says:

Acts 4:12
  • "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Clearly, not only are all gods not the same, nor do all religions lead to the same God, they clearly aren't called by different names and being the same God of the universe. Without the name of Christ, there is no deliverer or savior of man. These apologists notwithstanding. If you're interested, a quick search of the forum reveals some other threads you might want to read that have bearing on this question:

Do Muslims, Jews and Christians all Worship the Same God?

Arenít All Religions Basically The Same?

Does Native Americans Worship same God as ours?

There Is Only One Saviour

Why can't Christians, Muslims and Jews have a Dialogue Here?

>>>
My question is, do all religions lead to the same God?
<<<

As with any truly Biblical answer, we must receive God's word on the matter, rather than man's. According to God's word, there is only one religion that leads to God and that is the religion of the followers of Christ. There is only one name whereby anyone can be saved, and that name is Christ. There are not multiple ways unto Father Jehovah God, there is only one way, which is Christ.

John 14:5-6
  • "Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
  • Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

No man can come to God except by Christ. Why would true Christians even debate that truth. The WORD of God has made it clear that this modernistic, cultural, sensual, idea that all religions lead to the same God, or that all religions worship the same God, is a bankrupt theory. If that were the case, then the God of the Bible wouldn't have been condemning those snared in false religions all throughout Scripture. Clearly, we see in His inerrant word that Jehovah God has no patience for those who worship false gods, or that are snared in the false doctrines of false religions. These doctrines don't lead to one god, at least certainly not the one true God. False doctrines come from false religions are of those worshipping false gods.

2nd John 1:10
  • "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"

Is God welcoming the doctrines of false religions serving false gods or is He commanding separation from them? Many religionists in their "feel-good type of theology" teach and worship the image of a god that is not jealous, not wrathful, not judgmental, doesn't punish, and is always forgiving. Despite the words of Jehovah God to the contrary. They want you to believe that everyone is under mercy when the truth is of election and particular redemption. There are false gods and none of them lead to the God of the Bible. False gods and their religions are the inventions of men. They are the bane of the God of the Bible, the very source or cause of God's sorrow and unhappiness with mankind.

Deuteronomy 6:14
  • "Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;"

Yes, in spite of the nonsense preached by some that there are no false gods and that all religions lead to heaven, the word of God clearly teaches that there are indeed false Gods (Jeremiah 43:13/i]), and there are indeed false religions, and there are indeed the false doctrines of these false religions that serve a false god. God "does not" condone them or give them the right of passage into His kingdom. On the contrary, He condemns them in the strictest of terms. Starting with the first commandment:

Exdus 20:3
  • "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
Ex 23:13
  • "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth."

It is truly a sign of the times that some professing Christians believe that it is "judgmental and intolerant" to actually acknowledge God's word that there are different gods, essential doctrines, and false religions. Yes, that is all true. There is no get-out-of-jail-free card. There are other gods, and our God does not either condone them, nor relegate them to non-condemnation. And that includes the people that are of their own volition snared in those religions, and serving those gods.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »
 )GoodPopst( 
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »

The Reformed Reader says different religions and religious beliefs will always be logically irreconcilable. I believe that to be true. And so how could they all lead to the same God with different beliefs and systems that contradict each other?
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 04:43:32 AM »
 &TY

Philly Dawg

• Affiliate Member
  • Thinking Christians
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 12:20:58 AM »
Do All Religions Lead To The Same God? All but one. Any religion not in Christ leads to the god of this world, who is Satan.
  Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

Jenny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:39:52 AM »

Tony, Thank you for your fast reply. I haven't had the time to go over all the links yet, but I will.  Your post seems to make a lot of sense and I'm taking it to heart. It just seems hard to fathom all those millions of people not having the opportunity to find God. Again, thank you so much for your post because it was very enlightening.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 03:01:07 AM »
Hi Jenny,
   I see that you are pretty new here and just so you know, we don't all agree with Tony Warren's doctrines. It's good that you first understand that they are his doctrines, not Christ's. Particularly his doctrines on will who knows God, our free will, on Christian gays, Divorce, hell not being annihilation, miracles, Israel, the church, apostasy, and government. So just because Tony says something doesn't mean that it's true to the Bible. I believe that Catholics, Monks, Muslims,  Mormons, and other religious bodies do worship the same god. Some just call him by a different name. Don't shut out a whole group of people merely by a name. God cares about who's good and who is evil, not what we call ourselves.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
All religions do not lead to God. There is only one true religion, and so while being in a false religion might facilitate someone's understanding that there is a God (Romans 1:20) that controls the universe, but that doesn't equate to them serving that God.

How do you know? How do you know Premillennialists don't preach the truth? You are not God to know these things where you are inerrant. Why don't you show some positivity about the churches rather than always condemning the church all the time. That's why you are always being criticized. Because you seem more opposed to the church than a supporter of it. Far be it from me to claim anyone in another country cannot come to God. I'm not that arrogant.

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
 )GoodPopst(  Negative Nelly. You would think the church wasn't doing anything good today.

Granny

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »

Dan, the question is, do all religions lead to the same God? The correct answer is no. The reason that some eastern, catholic and liberal Christians make or give credence to this indefensible idea is that this gives all religions an equal footing, which they don't really have. Only one religion has a system where debt is owed to God and has a means of legal resolution where that debt is actually paid. Religions by definition are not equally true in either the understanding of sin, god, laws, doctrines, Heaven or Hell.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 06:31:44 AM »
)GoodPopst(  Negative Nelly. You would think the church wasn't doing anything good today.

Actually, that's a very good question.  I can't answer that. I guess it all depends upon what you call good.  I call preaching the truth of the gospel good. I don't call selling books, ecumenism, political rhetoric, false eschatology, social engineering,  pay for pray, or saying "peace, peace" when there is no peace, good.

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
   me neither.

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »

I don't know why Tony and the Moderator puts up with you Dan, but there must be some good reason  )Say_what(

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]