[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Meet with the Lord in the Air  (Read 48 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Meet with the Lord in the Air
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:50:38 AM »

1Th 4:16-17
(16)  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
(17)  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air [G109]: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Many of us believe that we will meet with the Lord in His Glory (clouds) and to meet with Him in the AIR as if we will meet with him somewhere in Earth's atmosphere.  That is fine and good, until I research on the air further elsewhere in the Scripture.  For example, look at the word, air with the same strong number [G109] in other verses: 

Eph 2:2
(2)  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air [G109], the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Rev 9:2
(2)  And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air [G109] were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

Rev 16:17
(17)  And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air [G109]; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

These verses does not seem to be talking about the air in Earth's atmosphere but rather the spiritual power of the kingdom depending on the context?  Or where our spiritual bodies will meet? How can we meet in the air if it will be a physical element of the Earth being destroyed at Christ returns, right?

2Pe 3:12
(12)  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Rev 21:1-4
(1)  And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
(2)  And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
(3)  And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
(4)  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

God's kingdom will be realized when Christ returns where we will meet in the "air" (power of that kingdom) as New Jersualem instead of Earth's air?

Any feedback on this?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Lower

• Higgaion ሂጋዮን
  • putting on the breastplate of FAITH and LOVE
Re: Meet with the Lord in the Air
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »

...  That is fine and good, until I research on the air further elsewhere in the Scripture.  For example, look at the word, air with the same strong number [G109] in other verses: 

Eph 2:2

Rev 9:2

Rev 16:17

It is not a coincidence that these places also carry the same word AIR coming with the same Strong's number. Because the Earth's atmosphere (AIR), as high above Earth as it is, is descriptive of who's in charge or ruler-above responsible for the evils there in. The three references above are illustrative of the rule of evil from the Power of Satan ON Earth. That's the 'high place' he does have after his fall from Heaven (cf. Luk 10:18, Joh 12:31, Rev 12:12) deceiving the world, holding many souls in bondage to darkness. And you are right that AIR in those cases does imply rule of spirit of Satan or power of his kingdom - the kingdom of darkness which is ruled by the 'king of disobedience'. Thus AIR as used in these three references is used to teach us of the existence of other one allowed to exercise his power over Earth, but just apart from the Sovereign rule of God of Heaven and Earth (Who is above all, Who is in Heaven).

Joh 14:30  Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.   

1Pe 5:8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

These verses does not seem to be talking about the air in Earth's atmosphere but rather the spiritual power of the kingdom depending on the context? Or where our spiritual bodies will meet?

Yes they are talking about the air in Earth's atmosphere however in allegory. The Word of God can place "AIR" when describing different things, hence we must check the meaning depending on the context. That being said, although the term "air" originated from the same root-word (i.e., given: [G109]), the sense used in your latest findings is different from the scripture we are studing.   

How can we meet in the air if it will be a physical element of the Earth being destroyed at Christ returns, right?

2Pe 3:12
(12)  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

God's kingdom will be realized when Christ returns where we will meet in the "air" (power of that kingdom) as New Jersualem instead of Earth's air?

Any feedback on this?

Second coming of the Lord is in His glory, and anything unclean on His way will be destroyed by His power (Heb 12:26 - 29). That's, unlike in His First coming, God is not going to return from His anger against the World, and will pour His judgment on wickedness and corruption.

This wicked world is abominable to the Lord after all and when He comes in His glory it shall only be destroyed - as it's days of serving as footstool will be finished. You are right the air is a physical element of this 'unfit' Earth, ... and that's exactly why we should be lifted up to a point in space as furthest from destruction and as closest to the Lord coming down from Heaven.

Remember that the scripture under consideration employs air when speaking of meeting the Lord {the parable of 10 virgins waiting to meet the bridegroom is good example to consider, Mat 25:1 - 12} while preceding our entry into life eternal in New Jerusalem. Then the clouds and the air are simply our rendezvous place. Not the actual place where only righteousness dwells, but the transit to our entry to eternal life - so shall we ever be with the Lord.   

1Th 4:16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them "in the clouds", to meet the Lord "in the air": and so shall we ever be with the Lord.   

First comes first, we need to drop our earthly body (that I believe will be consumed by fire together with the Earth and its constituents), and must be dressed with heavenly flesh BEFORE we can be part of New Heaven and New Earth.

2Co 5:1  For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Co 5:4  For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

Another point tied to that - also most important - is God's judgment of all humanity.

Act 17:31  Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Joh 12:48  He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Joh 5:29  And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

These two things have to happen before entry into New Jerusalem. IMHO, air in this case is indeed Earth's atmosphere where we meet the Lord during which our glorification is accomplished in preparation to be in eternal Jerusalem. I believe that rendezvous point is safe not merely because of it's distance above ground but it being a place where God's power and divine intervention will keep us safe from the coming destruction touching the Earth. This may be compared to the case of Daniel and his friends coming out of fiery furnace (heated seven times more than normal!).

Dan 3:25  He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Dan 3:27  And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.

There are examples in the Old Testament where men of God are taken by God ( - or, 'caught up' - ), that we believe are the type of Christ's ascension to Heaven after He rose from dead. Taken by God in that direction, being 'lifted in the air up' from Earth, always reminds me of the associated dropping-off of the Earthly body. Therefore my comments on this are "to meet the Lord in the air" should be understood as a suitable place just before we are transferred to our eternal destiny.

That is a place where those significant changes occur, it might as well be altered to accommodate such events as well, ... "we which are alive and remain" should have their bodies changed; and no one should inherit the Kingdom of Heaven before hearing judgment.

Mat 25:31  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Only right after that will some enter to New Jerusalem to be with the Lord for eternity, the condemned sent to Hell to be tormented for eternity (Mar 9:44).

That will be "the last day" - the end of the world.
እግዚኣብሄር ኣቦ ብወዱ ብጐይታ ክርስቶስ የሱስ ዓብዪ ግብሪ ምድሓን ገይሩልና ። ክብርን ምስጋናን ፡ ብስም ክርስቶስ የሱስ ንዕኡ ይኹኖ ። ኣሜን ።

ናይ ዘልኣለም ህይወት ፣ ብናይ ኣምላኽና ዘልኣለማዊ ጸጋ ። ንሱ ርእሲ ኹሉ ኮይኑ ፣ ንዘልኣለም ይነግስ ።

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:07:21 PM »
There you liberals go again spiritualizing something that is obviously literal. You cannot help yourselves. Air just means air. We'll meet with the Lord in the air, just like it's been understood for thousands of years before the liberals came along. This is why you are losing popularity and the church turned to the Dispensational doctrine of the church.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:36:09 PM »
There you liberals go again spiritualizing something that is obviously literal. You cannot help yourselves. Air just means air. We'll meet with the Lord in the air, just like it's been understood for thousands of years before the liberals came along. This is why you are losing popularity and the church turned to the Dispensational doctrine of the church.

You do a lot of generalizing and very little fact checking. First, everyone here doesn't spiritualize that verse. Second, very few Christians here are liberals. Third, the church turned to Dispensationalism because they have been deceived by evangelicals. The same corrupt evangelicals you trust in.

Fourth, anything that can be supported by scripture should be listened to and considered regardless of if you hold contrary positions to it or not.

Acts 17:11
"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]