[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Saviour of all Men, Specially of those That Believe - 1 Tmothy 4:10  (Read 965 times)

Spencer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Can someone explain to me the meaning of 1st Timothy 4:10. It says:

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

This seems a strange verse because it says He saves all men, but "specially" them that believe. I've asked a lot of people and they seem to get hung up on the "specially" part.

George

• I'm a llama!
Re: The Saviour of all Men, Specially of those That Believe - 1 Tmothy 4:10
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 04:03:00 AM »

That verse means that he is the Savior of all men inasmuch as he offers salvation to all. But not all will accept it. It is specially those who do accept it and believe that are saved. Those who don't accept it as not saved.

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

This seems a strange verse because it says He saves all men, but "specially" them that believe. I've asked a lot of people and they seem to get hung up on the "specially" part.
Greetings Spencer, this scripture is truly very simple to understand, it is only hard when men allow themselves to use the words save/saved/salvation in only one sense~that is..... salvation from sin and condemantion~the scriptures uses those words in more than one sense. We should do as Nehemiah and Ezra of old did:
Quote from: Nehemiah
Nehemiah 8:8~"So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
1st Timothy 4:4-10~"For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained. But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."
Saviour of ALL MEN is that he PROVIDES for their substance..."For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it is received with thanksgiving" BUT, especially so is this true of HIS VERY ELECT! They alone are the apple of his holy eyes. Saviour is not to be understood as far as providing ATONEMENT for their sins but for their DAILY NEEDS!.
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
Red, First Timothy 4:10 is actually proof of the error of predestination, and the confirmation that Christ paid for all the sins of the world. If no one accepts his payment, that's not his fault.

John 7:17
17 Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

Scriptures prove free will.

Lower

• Higgaion ሂጋዮን
  • putting on the breastplate of FAITH and LOVE
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
Greetings Spencer, this scripture is truly very simple to understand, it is only hard when men allow themselves to use the words save/saved/salvation in only one sense~that is..... salvation from sin and condemantion~the scriptures uses those words in more than one sense.

Greetings Red, I don't want to sound tough but you are wrong on this. I encourage you to focus on the word used in this specific place. It is none of the words you've brought to the point of discussion, your insistence of additional/other sense is just an off-shoot and should not be mandatory. Hence there is no taking of other meanings of save/saved/salvation in this case - because the word is Saviour!

Saviour of ALL MEN is that he PROVIDES for their substance... They alone are the apple of his holy eyes. Saviour is not to be understood as far as providing ATONEMENT for their sins but for their DAILY NEEDS!.

Again, there is no need to insist other sense here. Because of two words: 'WHO' and the verb-to-be 'IS' are correctly used by God to show us the right meaning/sense of the word. That is contrary to your understanding the phrase is telling He is the Christ, Who died for the sins of those men, Saviour does in this case is to remind us of His ATONEMENT. Not the gifts of God to cover for DAILY NEEDS, neither PROVIDING for their substance. These GIFTS of God are good and they are taught as 'God-allowed' gifts received by thanksgiving in previous verses you also had noticed. However that is different issue, we must separate those verses that teach about such gifts from the scripture speaking about the ATONEMENT - or God Himself.

1Ti 4:4  For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Notice it says "every creature of God" as opposed to the Person of God (the Saviour) here below.

1Ti 4:10  For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

It also says we TRUST IN - is additional clue referring to our faith and of holding fast to the Who Saved us by way of His ATONEMENT. We don't trust in gifts, we trust in the death and blood of the Lord Christ Jesus.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Therefore if you want to handle scripture the way Ezra and Nehemiah did, here is your chance for you to act like the Bereans and - search the scriptures diligently, and humbly, without a preconceived idea. I say this because I am not sure whether you understood what Ezra and Nehemiah did - after seeing you quote them multiple times in similar discussions.
I hope you understand all they did was let God interpret His words for them. They didn't start from their head, they and also the Bereans, did SEARCHING for the truth. Basically because the people had left the commandments God gave them ... They helped them by searching what was the truth in respect of where the people are now. Not in respect of what they think must be.
(Sorry for my English or for any inconvenience).
እግዚኣብሄር ኣቦ ብወዱ ብጐይታ ክርስቶስ የሱስ ዓብዪ ግብሪ ምድሓን ገይሩልና ። ክብርን ምስጋናን ፡ ብስም ክርስቶስ የሱስ ንዕኡ ይኹኖ ። ኣሜን ።

ናይ ዘልኣለም ህይወት ፣ ብናይ ኣምላኽና ዘልኣለማዊ ጸጋ ። ንሱ ርእሲ ኹሉ ኮይኑ ፣ ንዘልኣለም ይነግስ ።

Lower

• Higgaion ሂጋዮን
  • putting on the breastplate of FAITH and LOVE
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:51 AM »

The answer is easy, the verse is speaking of those that are saved according to God's purpose and will. ALL refers to the ELECT. Read the scriptures below where I added much emphasis for clarification of specially WHO the ALL Men of 1Timothy 4:10 really are:-

Joh 17:6  I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me OUT OF the world: THINE THEY WERE, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

Rom 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among MANY brethren. (NB: it doesn't say ALL rather says MANY, indicating only the REMNANT ELECT that God had foreknew and predestinated.)
Rom 8:30  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31  What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Rom 8:32  He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us ALL, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Joh 17:9  I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
Joh 17:10  And ALL mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
Joh 17:11  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Joh 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Joh 13:1  Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved HIS OWN which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Heb 10:32  But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;
Heb 10:33  Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.
Heb 10:34  For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
Heb 10:35  Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
Heb 10:36  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Heb 10:37  For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
Heb 10:38  Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Heb 10:39  But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

We can see above God uses various phrases to teach us about the ELECT remnant of this world, redeemed from among men (Rev 14:4), the ALL men that belonged to God and the Saviour (in spiritual sense the number 'hundred forty four thousand' as per Rev 14).

ALL men in 1Ti 4.10 indicates the whole quantity of the men returned to God according to GOD'S WILL AND PURPOSE and are the predestinated amount that God had intended to bring into His House,[/u] by sending His Son so it is full to His glory - 144 thousand means the Whole Household, or ALL redeemed children of God (Luk 14:23).

• given me OUT OF THE WORLD, having loved HIS OWN that were in the world, THINE THEY WERE, ALL MINE are YOURS, the firstborn AMONG MANY BRETHREN, delivered Him up FOR US ALL; AS MANY AS RECEIVED him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God ... are some examples where you can see God speaking about the same group of people - the ALL men of 1Ti 4.10.

... this WHOLE quantity are the ALL men in the sense for Whom the ATONEMENT is made. Salvation and Christ's death are foreordained by God as we can learn from the scripture below forexample telling us "as it is appointed" or from a phrase in the Book of Revelation that speaks of the ATONEMENT as "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world".
Once again we see verse 28 here assuring us that Christ died to save HIS OWN (the ELECT). That is clear Jesus the Saviour was offered to bear the sins of MANY (not all humanity, but ONLY CHOSEN ONES that were GIVEN TO HIM by His Father).

Heb 9:27  And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28  So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Now given 1Ti 4.10, quickly passing to what does "specially" mean?

1Ti 4:10  For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ALL men, specially of those that believe.

I see it this way, it is a term inserted into the phrase to give meaning, such as similar to those scripture parts highlighted in black and bold above. When it is written "specially" of those that believe, the term has a connotation that invokes meanings similar to these phrasings:-   

"But we are not of them ... but of them" that believe to the saving of the soul.

... "even to them that believe" on his name: "Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God".

Towards the end, one more thing I want to mention is the context in which the verse is found. The chapter opens with details of upcoming apostates and their deeds, will be opposing the truth, will twist the truth and in due course cause hunger for the Word of God, they will be the opponents at the door preventing many from entering, they will prey-on unawares, ... then the scripture continuous with warnings and exhortation to be good ministers in the Church with messages such as are read "If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things", and, "But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness", and, "These things command and teach".

We may miss it at first sight, but when we examine the content of the quoted scripture, in context, it becomes clear that God is telling about the tribulation that the ELECT should expect, trial of their faith, making the ALL men passing through - and - COMING OUT of this tribulation IN Him - "because we trust in the living God".

1Ti 4:8  For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
1Ti 4:9  This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.
1Ti 4:10  For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

The ELECT saints of God must persevere, happily by the grace of God, until the end because of the promise of God - eternal life and glory of our body. "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach". And the living God is Who is the Saviour of ALL THESE people - the spiritually poor of the land that are greatly oppressed by the followers of Satan.
Thus the ELECT are those that believe and endure. Lord Christ Jesus is the Saviour of ALL men, that were of God the Father, were foreordained before the foundation of the world. These number is exclusively only the ELECT of God (Mal 3:17). The oppressors and those following after seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils for example are not included; they are not (Rev 13:8.).

Mat 10:22  And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

2Co 1:7  And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.
2Co 1:8  For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life:
2Co 1:9  But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:
2Co 1:10  Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

The connotation of "specially" in the reference scripture does provide emphasis to the endurance of the believers! The ELECT who will continue in the faith as they partake in the sufferings and whenever reproached - "specially" those, they are special ones to their Saviour - adding to His joy by remaining being faithful unto death, amen. Selah!
እግዚኣብሄር ኣቦ ብወዱ ብጐይታ ክርስቶስ የሱስ ዓብዪ ግብሪ ምድሓን ገይሩልና ። ክብርን ምስጋናን ፡ ብስም ክርስቶስ የሱስ ንዕኡ ይኹኖ ። ኣሜን ።

ናይ ዘልኣለም ህይወት ፣ ብናይ ኣምላኽና ዘልኣለማዊ ጸጋ ። ንሱ ርእሲ ኹሉ ኮይኑ ፣ ንዘልኣለም ይነግስ ።

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
Greetings Red, I don't want to sound tough but you are wrong on this.............
(Sorry for my English or for any inconvenience).
Greetings, and no problem with me on anyone's use of English. I would not think that fishermen and carpenters whom the apostles and other believers in the first century were, had the learning of men of education~I certainly do not.
Quote from: Lower link Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:01:51 PM
I encourage you to focus on the word used in this specific place. It is none of the words you've brought to the point of discussion, your insistence of additional/other sense is just an off-shoot and should not be mandatory. Hence there is no taking of other meanings of save/saved/salvation in this case - because the word is Saviour!
I did, and that's why I said what I said. I understand that the words save/saved/salvation is not used here, but when anyone reads of God is the Saviour, then their first thoughts would be salvation from sin and condemnation as it is used many times over in the scriptures.  So, I DID focus on the word Saviour as it is used in this specific place.
Again, there is no need to insist other sense here
Agreed. But there is a NEED to give this scripture its proper sense.
the phrase is telling He is the Christ, Who died for the sins of those men, Saviour does in this case is to remind us of His ATONEMENT. Not the gifts of God to cover for DAILY NEEDS, neither PROVIDING for their substance.
Now you are doing what you told me not to do. No where is that even hinted in this scripture and is the very thing that I was teaching against!
These GIFTS of God are good and they are taught as 'God-allowed' gifts received by thanksgiving in previous verses you also had noticed. However that is a different issue, we must separate those verses that teach about such gifts from the scripture speaking about the ATONEMENT - or God Himself.
The Context would disagree with you and it is the context that drives our interpretation of the verses we are considering. I will add, that your statement of itself is true, yet you are not following that with the scripture before us since you are not understanding what Paul is saying by having perceived thoughts that are NOT part of the context.
It also says we TRUST IN - is additional clue referring to our faith and of holding fast to the Who Saved us by way of His ATONEMENT. We don't trust in gifts, we trust in the death and blood of the Lord Christ Jesus.
The verse said:
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
All Paul is saying is that he suffered reproach BECAUSE he trusted in the living God~not a word about the atonement, just a GENERAL statement of faith and the reproaches that comes by our faith in God.
Therefore if you want to handle scripture the way Ezra and Nehemiah did, here is your chance for you to act like the Bereans and - search the scriptures diligently, and humbly, without a preconceived idea. I say this because I am not sure whether you understood what Ezra and Nehemiah did - after seeing you quote them multiple times in similar discussions.
I hope you understand all they did was let God interpret His words for them. They didn't start from their head, they and also the Bereans, did SEARCHING for the truth. Basically because the people had left the commandments God gave them ... They helped them by searching what was the truth in respect of where the people are now. Not in respect of what they think must be.
I FULLY understand, but do you? Reading this from you, I'm reminded of Paul's words when he said:
Quote from: Paul
Romans 2:19-21~And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law. Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? ............."
Do I stand alone on this interpretation? Not hardly.

"The word Savior is not here taken in what we call its proper and strict meaning, in regard to the eternal salvation which God promises to his elect, but it is taken for one who delivers and protects. Thus we see that even unbelievers are protected by God, as it is said (Matthew 5:46) that "he maketh his sun to shine on the good and the bad;" and we see that all are fed by his goodness, that all are delivered from many dangers. In this sense he is called "the Savior of all men," not in regard to the spiritual salvation of their souls, but because he supports all his creatures. In this way, therefore, our Lord is the Savior of all men, that is, his goodness extends to the most wicked, who are estranged from him, and who do not deserve to have any intercourse with him, who ought to have been struck off from the number of the creatures of God and destroyed; and yet we see how God hitherto extends his grace to them; for the life which he gives to them is a testimony of his goodness. Since, therefore God shows such favor towards those who are strangers to him, how shall it be with us who are members of his household? Not that we are better or more excellent than those whom we see to be cast off by him, but the whole proceeds from his mercy and free grace, that he is reconciled to us through our Lord Jesus Christ, since he hath called us to the knowledge of the gospel, and then confirms us, and seals his bounty toward us, so that we ought to be convinced that he reckons us to be his children. Since, therefore, we see that he nourishes those who are estranged from him, let us go and hide ourselves under his wings; for, having taken us under his protection, he has declared that he will show himself to be a Father toward us." John Calvin...... Emphasis is mine~Red

Quote from:  Dan on: Yesterday at 04:14:48 PM
Red, First Timothy 4:10 is actually proof of the error of predestination, and the confirmation that Christ paid for all the sins of the world. If no one accepts his payment, that's not his fault.

John 7:17
17 Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

Scriptures prove free will.
Greetings Dan, you are too far out in the left-field for me to waste my time dealing with this post. There is NO such doctrine as free will~all of Adam's posterity are born in bondage to sin and are by nature children of wrath.
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Spencer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Thank you all for your posts. They are very helpful.

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »

Except that the question wasn't answered. Mine neither!

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 06:04:05 AM »
>>>
Can someone explain to me the meaning of 1st Timothy 4:10.

This seems a strange verse because it says He saves all men, but "specially" them that believe.
<<<

1st Timothy 4:10
  • "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

The text is difficult, but mostly because it has been translated from its original to English and in the modern era we usually understand "specially" to always mean "most, but not all." Thus people are predisposed to see a dichotomy between the words "Savior of all men" and the words "them that believe." In reality, there is no contrast between the Savior of all men and them who believe, as they are referring to the same group of people. The "all men" is actually qualified by noting it is "them that believe." What most people get hung up on is the word translated specially. Indeed there is the popular interpretation (especially in Reformed circles) that this language is to show that God is the Savior of all men on the planet, both saved and unsaved. In other words, in the sense of God being their Savior by providing habitation, life, food, rain, air, security, etc. They understand this verse as "apparently" declaring that the Savior has done this for all mankind, although to the unsaved it is done in less of a degree than for believers. Thus, specially. However, none of that supposition is mentioned in that text or even implied, and I do not believe that in this context this interpretation of what is in the text fits. I'm not saying that what they are stating about God is untrue, rather I'm saying I do not believe this is what the word is teaching in "this verse." Nor does this interpretation fit seamlessly with what is being discussed in this context. The context "is Christians" and their sanctification in this world, and how they labor and suffer because they put their trust in God, who is the Savior of all. There is not the slightest indication "within this text" (in my humble opinion) that this is referring to the Lord being a Savior or Deliverer of unbelievers. It is talking about instruction and teaching of the church.

1st Timothy 4:11
  • "These things command and teach."

The whole context is about believers, and the only time it addresses the unbelieving is in noting their seared conscience and hypocrisy.

I do understand why some look at the two parts of this sentence as contrasting. It is because they believe the word translated specially always meaning mostly. Therefore, they contrast the "all" in that sentence with their understanding of "specially believers" in the sentence.

The word translated specially is the Greek [malista], meaning chiefly. But by extension also means particularly or specifically by way of [mala meaning "very much" or to a higher degree. [malista] is the neuter plural of the superlative [mala]. Thus chiefly or particularly is singling out the "all men" as those who believe. Not contrasting them as being a part of believers who have God as a savior also.

As far as the wording "all men," like so many other verses, the word all in 1st Timothy 4:10 is not all without exception, it is specially / specifically "all who believe." In other words, rather than those who believe being a dichotomy or contrast to the words all men, it is qualifying the word "all" as all who believe. Much the same as it is in this verse:

Hebrews 2:9-10
  • "But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
  • For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings."

It is true Christ tasted death for every man, but it was for every man "who would Believe" and not every man in the world. The Greek word translated "every" there is [pas], the exact same word translated "all" in 1st Timothy chapter 4 verse 10. Did Christ taste death for every man? ABSOLUTELY He did. Did he taste death for every single man in the world without exception? Absolutely not. If He had, every single man without exception would have had his sins atoned for and could never come under wrath of God. In a word, Universalism.

The word of God is absolutely true and trustworthy. But the word translated "every" [pas] is qualified by the text where that Scripture says were sons brought to glory. Not every person on earth, but every man who was a son brought to glory. It is the same thing with 1st Timothy 4:10. He is the Savior of all men, but that is qualified by the words "specially" or specifically those who believe. Not all, especially, but all, particularly (giving emphasis; to point specifically) those who believe.

Acts 25:26
  • "Of whom I have no certain thing to write unto my lord. Wherefore I have brought him forth before you, and specially before thee, O king Agrippa, that, after examination had, I might have somewhat to write."

This verse is saying the apostle brought him forth before you, and "specifically" before king Agrippa. i.e., it's pointing to King Agrippa specifically.  Again:

1st Timothy 5:8
  • "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

This verse is saying that if any will not provide for his own, and specifically for those of his own house, he is worse than an unbeliever. "His own" is being qualified or explained as specifically his own household. It's not contrasting his own with his own household, it's qualifying his own as His own household. Specially is not showing a dichotomy, rather iin these contexts it is saying they are one and the same. The same with specially in 1st Timorthy.

1st Timothy 4:10
  • "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

Look carefully and observe that the last part of this verse is where the apostle Paul clarifies the statement "all men" by "qualifying" or making the first part conditional on this last I put in bold. Christ is the Saviour of ALL men, specifically (particularly, specifically) believers. It is "not" specially as in He is savior of "these plus others," but of all men. He is conditioning the all, as categorically "all who believe." All without distinction, not all without exception.

1st Timothy 2:5-6
  • "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
  • Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time."

This is not saying He uis the Savior of all men on earth because He gave Himself a ransom, but all who come to belief. This "all" in this verse is the theme of whom Christ came to save testified throughout the New Testament, and is the theme in 1st Timothy chapter 4. One Saviour who died for all. Not all, and especially believers, but all, specifically those who believe. This verse is illustrating that there is only one name whereby ALL Men must be saved. And that does not include those who will never be saved. That would make no sense if we hold to the sovereignty and grace of God. The mystery of God dying for all was kept a secret from the beginning, and now in due time is being revealed through the Spirit. Salvation is specially to the believers, and to all men, the Gentiles as well as the Jews. Thus it is to all men who believe, without distinction, by this one Savior Jesus Christ.

Therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specifically / particularly those that believe." That's the context. Those who believe in the Christ are they that suffer and trust in God, and they are the "all men" to whom He is Savior. There is no other way of salvation. In that verse is the moderation of "those who believe," as the distinctive or special/particular people. It is "all" those peculiar people that believe, whom Christ is Savior of. Not all the world (as in universalism, nor every single person in the world), but more specially/particularly believers. That word translated specially (KJV) is the qualifier designed to "limit" the previous remark "all men" to show it pertains to "those who believe." The word translated "specially" is the Greek word [malista], meaning the chiefest or greatest, and by extension particular. Thus [malista], simply being an intensified form of [mallon], and should be understood as "particularly or specially."

In point of fact, it would be disjointed to read this text as saying that Christ is the Savior of all men, especially those who believe because that makes no sense. Because if all are saved, how is it that it is "specially" the believers. That's like saying, "I'm going to give everyone in the world a golden crown, especially believers." You see how unbalanced that statement is? It only makes sense when we understand it in the Biblical and logical sense God intended. Meaning, "because we trust in God, who is the Saviour of all men, specifically those that believe." Not all men without exception, specifically those who believe.

Acts 4:12
  • "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

There is none other. The Lord God alone is the Savior of all men. Throughout Scripture, He has qualified the "ALL men, whole world, every man," as specifically referring to those who believe." They are the special or particular "all" that God is the Saviour of. Thus it is true that Christ is the Savor of all men (no one is saved except by Him), but it is specifically those who believe. Not specially as in most of all, but specially as in set-apart or distinctively.

>>>
I've asked a lot of people and they seem to get hung up on the "specially" part.
<<<

Specially is used like a qualifying conjunction between "all men" and "those who believe." Unfortunately, a lot of people see it as a divider between "all men" and "most who believe." To be fair, it's easy to get hung up on it the way it "seems" to say some of the all believe. However, for God to say He is savior of all men, mostly those whop believe places the word Savior to concern both in the same way. Not one this way and the other another way. Eith Savior of both in the sense of God being their Savior by providing habitation, life, food, rain, security, etc., or both as Savior by redemption. And it seems to me it is clear that it means he is Savior to them that believe by redemption. The context confirms it.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »
 )Goodpoint(
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
Very unlikely Warren. You just made that up to support Predestination. That's not a viable solution. Free will is the only solution.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
Quote from: Dan
Free will is the only solution.

Yet you have not quoted Scripture to support your "free will" doctrine and against predestination doctrine. We are not interested in your private opionion but the Word of God if you know how to quote it.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Very unlikely Warren. You just made that up to support Predestination.

Predestination needs no support. It is the solid rock of the word of God and stands on its own. Maybe you could read it sometime.

Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

His will, not your imagination of your own free will obtaining your inheritance.

savedbysovereigngrace99

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »

I believe the word specially is a adverb clarification word defining who exactly God is a Saviour to. If we study the word its the greek word malista and carries these definitions:

mal'-is-tah; neuter plural of the superlative of an apparently primary adverb μάλα mála (very); (adverbially) most (in the greatest degree) or particularly:—chiefly, most of all, (e-)specially.

The word particularly. So instead of God being the Saviour of all men without exception, Hes the Saviour of them particularly which believe.

That fits the overall context of scripture, Jesus is the Saviour of Believers. His Sheep who shall believe.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]