[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Do Republicans Now Hurt the Cause of Christianity equal to the Democrats?  (Read 685 times)

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed

Close vote, closer than I would have thought. I think every Christian's vote should be yes. I for one am sick of the hypocrisy.

Ditto for me sojourner. I believe the reason is the same as it was in the Israelite congregation. The people there thought their cause was righteous also and so they couldn't recognize that their sins were just as bad (or worse) than the Gentiles. Republicans always figure that their sins are less than the Democrats when just as someone said, they are all in the same boat. The acceptance and even encouragement of lies, their lawlessness, their hypocrisy, their deceit, and so on, place them right there with the father of lies. Not someone who is separated from him. I believe this is what God calls the strong delusion of Christians to believe a lie and reject the truth. This is the false peace Joe Johnson spoke about, but not in the way he thinks. The problem with a false peace is that those who think they are at peace, are really at war. Yes, Republicans today hurt the cause of Christianity equal to, or greater than, the Democrats. And they will never believe it because they are deceived in their self-righteousness. It's so sad how these Christians continue to support a man who is so clearly a moral degenerate and against everything God stands for. From adultery to lies, to lawlessness, deceit, and everything in between that God stands against. No one can keep their integrity justifying and denying the lawlessness and ungodliness of such a man.

So I guess you can tell, my vote is yes. Republican once stood for wholesome, now it stands for racism, circumventing the law and worshipping a man. As the quote from the bible, "my how the mighty have fallen."

II Samuel 1:19
"The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy high places: how are the mighty fallen!"

Did they learn their lesson? No. There is nothing new under the sun.

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed

Close vote, closer than I would have thought. I think every Christian's vote should be yes. I for one am sick of the hypocrisy.

Yes, very close.  With the maybe's counted as no, it's a tie 14 to 14. And that's what's so sad about it.

Dan

• Dan the Man
 )baghead(  The Silent Majority.  ;D

George

• I'm a llama!
)baghead(  The Silent Majority.  ;D

Oooh, I got that  )laugh(

This poll is silly. Of course Republicans don't hurt the cause of Christianity. They are the only ones fighting for it.

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!

Ditto for me sojourner. I believe the reason is the same as it was in the Israelite congregation. The people there thought their cause was righteous also and so they couldn't recognize that their sins were just as bad (or worse) than the Gentiles. Republicans always figure that their sins are less than the Democrats when just as someone said, they are all in the same boat.

So true Colleen. And to back up what you are saying, here's a post I read from an atheist. It hurts so bad when you see professing Christians making a fool of themselves in blindly following and supporting this disgraceful man and justifying all the obviously unchristian things Donald Trump does. Truly it is the bane on the church's existence.

Former GOP Adviser: Pro-Trump Evangelicals Hurt Christianity More Than Atheists
BY HEMANT MEHTA

JULY 21, 2019
A Republican who served under Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush says the white evangelicals who support Donald Trump do far more damage to Christianity than atheists ever could.

He’s right. (Also, I’m insulted.)

Peter Wehner made a similar statement in a New York Times essay in 2017, but his comments to CNN’s Michael Smerconish yesterday were even more blunt.

… I think it’s been tremendously discrediting to the Christian faith. And I think it’s shown to a watching world a tremendous amount of hypocrisy. After all, this “character counts” and “personal integrity” and “political leadership” was central to what a lot of… evangelicals argued when Bill Clinton was president. And now that it’s Donald Trump, they’ve decided to push that aside, which means that morality for them was a means to an end, not an end. It was something to be used as a political weapon.

… I think a lot of these white evangelical leaders are doing more to hurt Christianity than the so-called New Atheists ever could.

There’s a lot of truth to that last statement. No arguments against the logical incoherence of Christian beliefs are as powerful as seeing the hypocrisy with your own eyes. When you see refugees in cages, an administration mired in scandals, a president who paid his mistresses hush money, and Republican leadership that is so quick to brag about their Christian faith but silent every time Trump is racist or sexist or otherwise cruel, it’s easy to think that evangelical Christianity is devoid of morality.

I certainly appreciate any conservative will to admit the obvious — and to do it publicly.

But there’s an assumption in Wehner’s words that all of this is happening now. As if evangelical Christians weren’t hypocrites until Trump came along. That’s baloney. Wehner worked for presidents who did plenty to discredit both the Republican party and conservative Christianity.

If anything, the biggest concern for conservatives when it comes to Trump is that he says out loud what they believe privately.

The GOP will gerrymander and prevent black people from voting, but only Trump pursued a commission to etch that into policy under the guise of stopping (virtually non-existent) voter fraud. The GOP has long tried to make life worse for LGBTQ people, but Trump’s the one who banned transgender people from the military with a tweet based on nothing more than a whim. Republicans have always wanted to dismantle public education, but Trump is the one who put someone in charge of the Department of Education who openly waged a war against it in her home state. And none of that gets into how Republicans are actively destroying the scientific infrastructure of our government, waging a war on women’s health, and successfully pushing conservative lawyers onto federal courts.

The point is: Conservative Christianity wasn’t any better under, say, George W. Bush. The Republican Party has always endorsed bigots, pursued racist policies, and advocated for evidence-free policies. Perhaps it’s hit a fever pitch now, but it isn’t new. (Does Sarah Palin ring a bell? What about the near-success of alleged child molester Roy Moore?)

Trump is just the latest incarnation of what the GOP has been for a long time. The party didn’t “leave” people like Wehner. The problem is that people like Wehner never pushed back against a party that was so clearly headed in this direction when they had the opportunities to do so. They remained silent when critics pointed out what was happening. And very few openly endorsed the Democrats who had the ability to stop the derailing train.

Wehner deserves credit for calling out the Christian hypocrisy evident in this political era. But if this interview occurred decades ago, it would’ve sounded the same except for the names.

Trevor

BY HEMANT MEHTA

JULY 21, 2019
A Republican who served under Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush says the white evangelicals who support Donald Trump do far more damage to Christianity than atheists ever could.

He’s right.

Unfortunately, the way things are going this year, I would have to reluctantly agree. I don't know what's in the water, but it seems like wormwood. And it's spreading.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

Alex Rowland

• The PuritanBoard
BY HEMANT MEHTA

JULY 21, 2019

The evangelicals like Jerry Falwell Jr. and that type, yes. But that's not all Christians. Or even a majority of them. Republicans don't hurt the cause of Christianity, these dispensational evangelicals and Televangelists do.

Wayne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Look at it this way,

Are Republican Christians OK with a lawbreaking, racist, foolish, immoral, deceitful President who is a despot and Chronic liar?

We all know that the answer to that is yes.

Case Closed, hypocrisy proven, and Christian regeneration in my view is suspect.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
From what I witness, read, hear and see, it could be argued that the modern day Republican Pro-Trump, professing believers, are hurting Christianity more than the Democratic Christians or even the adversarial unbelievers of the world. What do you think?

Your honest thoughts on this?

Ok, you asked for it.

1. Are they hurting the cause of Christianity?

Yes. And anyone who calls themselves the church and argues against that is poor, blind and naked and needs to examine themselves to see if they are in the faith. Make their calling and election sure.

Re 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

2. Are they hurting it more than Democrats?

I wholeheartedly agree with Sue Landow. They both hurt the cause of Christianity equally because neither serves the cause of Christ, and he that is not with him is against him. Christ doesn't favor any particular political party. He is for right over wrong, regardless of what man-made group that it comes from. Remember what Christ told the chief priests and the elders of his congregation? He said to them, truly the publicans and the whores go into the kingdom of God before them. Yes, before the members of God's own congregation. Let that be a lesson to the self-righteous Republican Christians who joy in casting stones.

3. Do they hurt it more than unbelievers?

Unbelievers don't hurt the cause of Christianity, Christians do. Or should I say, professing Christians do. Unbelievers are already at war with us and already unchurched, adversaries, enemies and cannot do any more than what they are already doing, and have been doing since the beginning. The church should wise up. It is professing Christians that has always harmed the cause of the church and of Christ. And always will. Search the scriptures for evidence. There are hundreds of examples. The rebellion against honor, order, laws and integrity always starts in the congregation of God. Even before the flood the believers rebelled and mixed with the unbelievers and caused the world to be destroyed in the flood. The Bible shows us that God uses the unsaved to bring judgment on his people. Not to harm his cause, which is to save his people. His people will be saved. In the process, many of the church will fall. Who were Christ's adversaries when he preached the gospel? Was it the Roman government or was it the professing believers of his own congregation who wouldn't receive the truth he gave testimony to? You would think Christians would have learned something by now.

Matthew 10:35-36
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Our real foes are those who call themselves Christian, but who in the tribalism of politics have no sense of what a Christian really is.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
 &TY  )preach_(  )GoodPopst(

Thank you Reformer,
  It's because of posts like this that I return to this forum to be intellectually refreshed. Cerebral Christians who study the bible and obviously know what it means to be a true servant of Christ, rather than just give lip service to being one.

Can't help but be so tired of the same old self-righteous Pharisaical book hawking and conspiratorial political rhetoric from alleged Christians. Speak in the spirit of the truth of Christ or don't speak at all. Lest you heap coals of fire on your head.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Quote from: Reformer
Unbelievers don't hurt the cause of Christianity, Christians do. Or should I say, [size=0px]professing [/size]Christians do. Unbelievers are already at war with us and already unchurched, adversaries, enemies and cannot do any more than what they are already doing, and have been doing since the beginning. The church should wise up. It is professing Christians that has always harmed the cause of the church and of Christ.

Exactly!

Jesus Christ was hated and killed by HIS OWN PEOPLE, the Jews.

Dan 9:26
(26)  And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Likewise, the body of true Christians (Two Witnesses) will be hated and killed by the beast, the body of the corporate believers with spirit of antichrist. 

Rev 13:11-15
(11)  And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
(12)  And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
(13)  And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
(14)  And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
(15)  And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Rev 11:7-8
(7)  And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
(8 )And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

It is the professed Christians that wages spiritual war and can overcome against the true believers where their testimony will be silenced (killed).  I believe this is happening right now, or should I say, the congregations are under judgment.  Christ's coming is very soon. 
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Philly Dawg

• Gold Member
  • Thinking Christians
2. Are they hurting it more than Democrats?

I wholeheartedly agree with Sue Landow. They both hurt the cause of Christianity equally because neither serves the cause of Christ, and he that is not with him is against him. Christ doesn't favor any particular political party. He is for right over wrong, regardless of what man-made group that it comes from. Remember what Christ told the chief priests and the elders of his congregation? He said to them, truly the publicans and the whores go into the kingdom of God before them. Yes, before the members of God's own congregation. Let that be a lesson to the self-righteous Republican Christians who joy in casting stones.

)amen(  And ditto to Laura and Erik too. Very Inspiring to see Christians who get it. And this applies especially to the one issue Christians, who sware they are going to heaven because of the help with the good works of the Republican party. As if those works were good and the ends will justify the means before God.  )Say_what(

Matt. 7:22 & 23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Don't bring the world into the church in order to do God's work, it doesn't work like that. The church in friendship with the world and supporting great works of iniquity for the cause of Christ is just like doing works of iniquity and imagining that some good might come from it.

I don't support abortionists, conspirators or evolutionists, and neither do I support liars, frauds, and racists. As a follower of Christ, I believe they are equally despicable.

But like the Publicans and harlots Reformer mentioned that God considers better than his church, or the woman casting in two mites when the self-righteous church cast in much, God tries the heart. Man's works are evil. By God's definition, what the self-righteous cast in the pot was worthless. Because they never understood what a true Christian was.

Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Quote from: Dan
The Silent Majority.

So were the majority of the Jews back in the days of Christ, Dan. Your point is?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Dan

• Dan the Man
Yes. And anyone who calls themselves the church and argues against that is poor, blind and naked and needs to examine themselves to see if they are in the faith. Make their calling and election sure.

So you are basically saying that Me, George, Puritan Heart, Aqautic, Fred, David knoles, Red, Joe Johnson, Drew and the President are all unsaved?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Go back and actually read my post.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]