[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: New heavens and new earth  (Read 475 times)

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
New heavens and new earth
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:17:38 AM »
1. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. Genesis 2

God finished creating on day six and then rested. My question is, were the new heavens and new earth created then, at the beginning or later?

17. For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.Isaiah 65
1.And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.Revelation 21
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
Re: New heavens and new earth
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
I wouldn't think the new heaven and earth were created at the beginning since the text says old things are passed away. That would mean what was created first (heaven and earth) are passed away.
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:Matthew 25.

But here we are told,come and inherit the kingdom prepared from the foundation of the word.
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Andreas, I think that refers to the fact that the New Heavens and the new earth were predetermined from the foundation of the world, not already done. I don't think that would make sense or be consistent with all verses speaking about the old and the new heavens and the new earth. Much like God's word uses Christ's death before the foundation of the world as predetermined, and not already done before the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8
"And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

We could look at that and think it means Christ was killed years before the cross, but it only means Christ was determined before the foundation of the world to be slain. And we know this is true because Scripture makes it clear throughout Israel's history that Christ must be slain sometime in their future to pay for their sins.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]