[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is It Biblical for a Christian to be Humorous or Make Jokes?  (Read 1017 times)

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
I recently found myself laughing at some political comedy in the humor forum and I had some thoughts that maybe some humor is not Biblical. I actually don't think that it is unbiblical, but just the fact that I had to stop and think about it gave me reason to pause and question. So my question is, seeing that Christianity is a sober occupation, do you guys and girls see anything wrong with comedy, humor or making jokes? Thanks for any input.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
Re: Is It Biblical for a Christian to be Humorous or Make Jokes?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with a little humor, but too much is too much. There's a time to laugh and a time to cry.

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »
I think it depends Melanie. I generally don't have any problem with jokes or comedy so long as it is not raunchy or at the expense of someone who has no sense of humor. I don't see anything in the bible that forbids humor or jokes.

Ecclesiastes 3:3-4
"A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;"

If there is a time to laugh, it's not forbidden by God.
K I R A 

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »
Is It Biblical for a Christian to be Humorous or Make Jokes?

That's a pretty dumb question. Especially from someone who has been humorous on the forum and who has given a thumbs up to jokes here. Are you feeling a little guilty about the lack of respect in making fun of your President, or is this a little dig at Phillys constant late night comedy act? Whatever it is, I agree with David. Too much is over the line, which I think Philly's humor is.

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09:50 AM »
I recently found myself laughing at some political comedy in the humor forum and I had some thoughts that maybe some humor is not Biblical. I actually don't think that it is unbiblical, but just the fact that I had to stop and think about it gave me reason to pause and question.

I know exactly what you mean Melanie. And I am also sure that means that you have a conscience, which a lot of Christians these days don't have. Don't ever let anyone shame you for having it. A good answer to your question I read on the gotquestions website here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-comedy.html

So yours is a question that a lot of people have had. The only other time I think it is wrong is when it is cruel. But as Philly Dawg said also, sometimes it's good to laugh in order to keep from crying.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
When jokes are overdone and constant like Philly does with his one sided political humor, then it's offensive. Jokes should be sparse and sporadic because Christianity is a sober undertaking. And it should be respectful.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]