[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Removing Wrinkles From Paper  (Read 522 times)

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Removing Wrinkles From Paper
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »

Does anyone know how to remove wrinkles from paper documents without harming the documents? For example, if someone balled up a paper document to throw away and then realized it was something important. Thanks

aquatic

Re: Removing Wrinkles From Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
Iron it out. Set a towel or maybe a shirt over it.

Scotty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
You could steam iron it.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Charles

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:57 AM »
You could steam iron it.

Irons, and especially steam ironing can cause stains, and if the iron is just a little too hot it will turn the document brownish or even scorch it.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:05:57 AM »
Hang it and use a steamer (used for suits) to steam it. Irons don't work well.

Bruce

• Faith Overcomes All
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »
Been there, done that. Ironing it will just make the wrinkles less pronounced. I have tried it and it reduces the height of the wrinkles, but will also make them set pretty much permanent. Or scorched if your iron is too hot. DO NOT IRON!

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »
Actually you can dry iron, but only on the lowest setting. The problem is that some irons don't have a setting that is low enough, so beware. Most documents or even posters can be restored by using steam first and applying pressure afterward.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:39:26 AM »
Ok, I'll add my two cents for what it's worth ;)

Here's my tried and true procedure. I have done it several times for documents and also my neice's posters and it works.

Yes steam is best, but most people don't have a steamer so if you don't have a steamer get a spray bottle. First, you'll need distilled water. Whatever you do, don't use tap or bottled water because the minerals present in it will cause water stains. Spray the document from a distance with a fine mist and let it set for a couple of minutes. Do not soak it with water, just get it misty. Then with iron on lowest settings and linen between iron and document, iron just enough to get it very warm.  Then place it flat between two Plexiglass sheets. Two heavy books will also work. Plexiglass is better but I'll assume most people don't have two plexiglass panels. Place between the two books and add additional weight to the top book. Wait two days and remove. It should be good. If not, repeat the process until it is.

One note to anyone thinking of doing posters, the coating on most posters, pictures or bluray artwork will stick to books, plexiglass or even glass, so it's a good idea to keep a constant check on this. If you see any signs of sticking, remove it immediately or the image will come off on the book or plexiglass.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]