[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: How Do We Stop These Mass Shootings?  (Read 183 times)

Johnny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
How Do We Stop These Mass Shootings?
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
I'd like to offer a serious question about what's going on in America. How do we stop these mass shootings across the country? It seems we're now getting one every month.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: How Do We Stop These Mass Shootings?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
It's so simple.  Just stop reporting on it for hours at a time, giving the shooters exactly what they crave. Attention, importance, acclaim and celebrity. It's the media who is responsible for this phenomenon by devoting almost entire news casts to them, giving their lives meaning, dissecting their reasoning, showing specials on them and making them famous. Exactly the things that drives them to commit such crimes.The stupidity of it is that the more time they devote to these mental midgets, the more of these acts we are going to see.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 01:07:00 AM »
I'd like to offer a serious question about what's going on in America. How do we stop these mass shootings across the country? It seems we're now getting one every month.

We do as President Trump, as our commander and chief and illustrious leader of these United States says. We bring back capital punishment and we kill these lowlife losers and you'll see an end to this sort of thing. You post about Christians following their government leaders, well President Trump is our government leader, is he not?

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 05:35:50 AM »
Our society has created these wicked people, they are nothing more than a byproduct of a generation of wicked men being told all their life how special and important they are to others and are needed, and have been programmed to never think less of their ability than the next person, whereas they have been told over and over again, all are equal in our world as far a looks, intelligent, natural gifts, etc. etc. And when they begin to interact with their peers, they see that they ARE NOT and that others do NOT treat them the way that they have been programmed to believe who they are. It's more than they are willing to accept so they just want to eliminate any and all of whom they consider do NOT see them as they have been taught that they are~but begin to see others are they TRULY ARE, they then go off on the deep end and become very dangerous to be around.

When I was coming up during the late forties and fifties, and early sixties, I knew that I was poorer than the next person, less gifted, not as good looking as others, and not as popular as some, and we accepted that as our lot in life, and made the best of it. It did make us worked harder to make life as best as we could using whatever God gave us to the best of our ability~our motto was...
Quote from: Solomon
Ecclesiastes 9:10~"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
Take God out of one's generation and exalt humanism as the religion to live by and this is the fruit of what we now are seeing and much more than we desire to see. It is now no correcting of forsaking God and exalting man over God~it's only going to get worse and worse as the day of Christ approaches.   
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
We do as President Trump, as our commander and chief and illustrious leader of these United States says. We bring back capital punishment and we kill these lowlife losers and you'll see an end to this sort of thing.

George, with all due respect, that's the easy answer for people who think like your illustrious leader. This idiosyncratic belief is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by reality and rational arguments. Tell me how is capital punishment going to stop someone who wants make a point and die in the process? Does that make sense to you? Take this latest incident for example, do you think this man cared about capital punishment? He took his own life after he was finished with his massacre. Capital punishment is certainly in the actions that the state can take, but to think that it will stop these terrorist shooters is foolish and naive. These killers are the worst kind of zealots, they're idealists who place their radical beliefs before any practical considerations.

You've demonstrated through this forum in everything from eschatology, to Israel to politics, you're not thinking clearly or even logically, you're thinking emotionally. Your basic instinct is to kill the lowlife, but that's not a Christian answer or a rational answer, it's a reactionary response to evil. The majority of the  people who do this type of thing plan on dying in the execution of their actions. Some are just too cowardly to go through with it when the time comes. Capital punishment would mean nothing to them as far as prevention. 

The reason for this is a old one and it's called sin. The problem is not a lack of punishment, the problem is the lack of the backbone to institute a solution. As I said before, the reason we didn't have this before is because we didn't have a media that thrives on chaos and in effect glorifies and immortalizes massacres and fear for ratings sake. Which in turn produces copy cat events, which cause people to talk on about it even more, which causes more of these copy cats. It feeds off of itself. Capital punishment won't stop people who are seeking to die gloriously for their cause. We're living in a society of lax mental illness treatment, easy access to guns, and instant communication and media coverage. If you knew the facts you would have known that people knew this guy was nuts and would soon snap, but no one could do anything about it. It's almost impossible to put a crazy man in a hospital these days. Real solutions like bringing back the mental health facilities that were shut down, make it harder to buy rapid firing assault weapons (not guns), and make the media be responsible in their coverage and not care about ratings, aren't popular. But those are things that will curve this type of thing. I know that capital punishment will make you and other short sighted people feel better once they are dead, but it won't solve the problem.

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
 &TY

Robert63

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 02:21:53 AM »
Your basic instinct is to kill the lowlife, but that's not a Christian answer or a rational answer, it's a reactionary response to evil.

That's not fair. Yes he said that, but to declare that his first instinct is not fair. It's a emotional response to a emotional issue. We are only human you know.

The problem is not a lack of punishment, the problem is the lack of the backbone to institute a solution. Real solutions like bringing back the mental health facilities that were shut down, make it harder to buy rapid firing assault weapons (not guns)

Which is the first step to taking away all guns. If we start down that path, pretty soon there won't be anymore guns in the hands of the private citizen.

Kevin Wright

• Always Reforming
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Like the truth is going to be cast to the ground, we will be invaded and cities will crumble if we can't be allowed to buy assault weapons?  )S_Confused( Where is that written  )Bible-Red(

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
>>>
 It's a emotional response to a emotional issue. We are only human you know.
<<<

Robert,
   In this context isn't the phrase "We Are Only Human" a euphemism for "we're yet carnal" and can't control ourselves? In other words, "we're only human" is a typical excuse used for sin isn't it. I agree that this is a emotional response to a emotional issue, however that doesn't excuse it, nor make it a Christian response. I think that the point Reformer was trying to make is that with Christians it "should be" a Spiritual response to a emotional issue. As Christians we are supposed to be "set apart" from the world by the Spirit, so that we don't act or react exactly like the world does. Because if not, then at the end of the day, what is the difference? To live after the spirit versus to live after the flesh is a contrast, it's not two sides of the same coin.

Romans 8:12-14
  • "Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
  • For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
  • For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

As God said in Romans 6:21, "What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death?"

>>>
make it harder to buy rapid firing assault weapons (not guns)...

Which is the first step to taking away all guns. If we start down that path, pretty soon there won't be anymore guns in the hands of the private citizen.
<<<

The point could also be argued that isn't that a little bit like saying taking away Asbestos is the first step to taking away all building materials, or taking race cars off the street is the first step to banning all cars? Each thing presumably has its right place in society and stands on its own merits. Christian faith is established ion peace of mind.  So then, why is the church wringing its collective hands on this issue without peace of mind? His children should put their trust in Him as the maintainer of all things, rather than in the weapons of the world. Make your sword the word of God so that the righteous may enter in freely, and the wicked will have no strength to prevail over anything God protects. That's called true sovereignty, not the lip service that passes for it in some circles. Eyes on Christ, not on the troubles of this world.

Isaiah 26:2-4
  • "Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in.
  • Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
  • Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength/i]:"

So if we want to live with a voice of trembling, of fear, and not of peace, then it has to be because we are so wrapped up in this world, security and goods, that we don't even have the slightest idea of what Christ's peace of mind is.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]