[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Satan, Gog and Magog  (Read 214 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Satan, Gog and Magog
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »
Ezekiel 38:2-3 KJV
[2]  Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,
[3]  And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

When I read the verse above, it sounds like Satan is Gog because he is the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. I am not sure why Ezekiel wrote, "the land of Magog."  Then I read in Revelation 20:

Revelation 20:7-8 KJV
[7]  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
[8]  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

However, it is easy to become confused when reading of Satan being loosed and going out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, "Gog and Magog", to gather them to battle, etc.  How can Gog represent Satan if Satan is loosed in order to deceive the nations of the earth - Gog and Magog?   How is it that Satan will deceive Gog if indeed Gog is Satan?

Could that mean Gog and Magog represents the unsaved tares of the church who call themselves Christians but are not and is Satan's body, Satan personified?  Is it why Gog (and/in/of Magog) is the "chief prince" of Meshech and Tubal?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Satan, Gog and Magog
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:05:08 AM »
Doesn't prophesy of Gog and Magog represent the land of the kingdom of Satan in the New Testament?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »
If Gog and Magog represents the land of the kingdom of Satan then why did God see Gog as chief prince?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Because Satan is the ruler of this kingdom? To me, by the use of the term land and that Satan gathers his people from the four quarters of the earth point to his Kingdom. So I have to agree with Hammerle.  God and Magog represent Satan and his kingdom of unsaved people whop come up against the camp of the saints. The evil kingdom of Satan against God's kingdom of Christ. Christ against the antichrist.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
I, too, agreed with Hammerie. I understand that Satan should be Gog because he is chief prince of his kingdom of unsaved people.

Revelation 20:7-8 KJV
[7]  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
[8]  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

Satan, the strong ruler of this kingdom, was bound by Christ so he could not have power to deceive. When considering Daniel 8 about four winds of the heaven, I believe is what bottomless pit represented - without his power.

Me thinks when I studied Daniel 8 about the four horns:

Daniel 8:8-9 KJV
[8]  Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.
[9]  And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the pleasant land.

After God have finished building his kingdom through the church with all people He intent to save have been saved, then the transgressors are come to the full, a little horn pops up where the four (without his power) are.  The little horn signifies Satan's power for a little season through his body of false prophets and christs (beast).  This is how Satan are deceiving people WITHIN the congregation and gather them together to attack God and His Holy People.

So the question is, Is Gog and Magog representing the unsaved tares WITHIN God's congregation all over the Earth which Satan deceives since the unsaved world outside the church is already in his camp?

Lower

• Higgaion ሂጋዮን
  • putting on the breastplate of FAITH and LOVE
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:46 PM »

How can Gog represent Satan if Satan is loosed in order to deceive the nations of the earth - Gog and Magog?   How is it that Satan will deceive Gog if indeed Gog is Satan?

The answer to this is because Gog and Magog are titles which are used in different ways in Revelation and Ezekiel. Hence Gog and Magog of Revelation are not the Gog and Magog of Ezekiel.

In the book of Ezekiel:
Gog - the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal
the land of Magog
Meshech and Tubal

In the book of Revelation:
Satan - (aka prince of the world)
the whole earth
Nations - Gog and Magog

Gog is the title by which Satan is referred to in Ezekiel 38.
In Revelation 20 Satan is just called Satan (and also devil - Rev 20:10). And the combination of names "Gog and Magog" is used to indicate the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, i.e. the whole unsaved world.

However, both books contain similar words of prophecy about establishment of kingdom and dominion of Satan in the world in order to oppose Christ the Lord. Satan released will gather Gog and Magog to the battle of the great day (Rev 16:14). Gog and Magog are those that are being deceived, not the deceivers because Rev 20:3 says:

Rev 20:3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

The two beats of Rev 13 (one like unto leopard, one who has two horns like a lamb; both that complement the great dragon of Rev 12), the unclean spirits of Rev 16, and the ten horns of Rev 17 who give their power and strength to the beast who exercises whose power through the whore ... I believe these are good places to look for the ministers of Satan, those that are empowered by him during the little season.

"Meshech and Tubal" are simply those that are overtaken by the power of Gog. He is over them in the land of Magog, their indwelling place. "the land of Magog" represent the earth to which Satan is thrown out of heaven (Rev 12:12), and; Meshech and Tubal the deceived people of the world who go contrary to the will of God, in the same way "Sodom and Egypt" are.

Eze 27:13  Javan, Tubal, and Meshech, they were thy merchants: they traded the persons of men and vessels of brass in thy market.

Rev 18:11  And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: 
12  The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, 
13  And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men. 

Rev 13:17  And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
እግዚኣብሄር ኣቦ ብወዱ ብጐይታ ክርስቶስ የሱስ ዓብዪ ግብሪ ምድሓን ገይሩልና ። ክብርን ምስጋናን ፡ ብስም ክርስቶስ የሱስ ንዕኡ ይኹኖ ። ኣሜን ።

ናይ ዘልኣለም ህይወት ፣ ብናይ ኣምላኽና ዘልኣለማዊ ጸጋ ። ንሱ ርእሲ ኹሉ ኮይኑ ፣ ንዘልኣለም ይነግስ ።

Lower

• Higgaion ሂጋዮን
  • putting on the breastplate of FAITH and LOVE
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:48:46 PM »
Could that mean Gog and Magog represents the unsaved tares of the church who call themselves Christians but are not and is Satan's body, Satan personified?  Is it why Gog (and/in/of Magog) is the "chief prince" of Meshech and Tubal?

So the question is, Is Gog and Magog representing the unsaved tares WITHIN God's congregation all over the Earth which Satan deceives since the unsaved world outside the church is already in his camp?

No. Because, in the same chapter, it says they are the nations from whom he/Satan was prevented. And then after the 1000 years are expired, released for a little season!

Rev 20:3  And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season. 

Rev 20:7  And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 
8  And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 

since the unsaved world outside the church is already in his camp?

Well, the tares were also already in his camp.

2Th 2:7  For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

1Jn 4:3  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2Co 11:13  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 
14  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 
15  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. 

Gog and Magog of Rev 20 are then none other than the nations - the deceived world.

Rev 12:9  And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 

But, there is some clue about the deceivers of the little season, those you would prefer to call tares WITHIN the church. Notice Satan/devil is thrown to the lake of fire where the beast and the false prophet (these are the two beasts from Rev 13)

Rev 20:9  And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 
10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. 

Rev 19:19  And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 
20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Those three beasts of Rev 12&13 finally went to perdition. All of them are representation of Satan and his ministers, the deceivers, while Gog and Magog remain being representation of the deceived. All the deceivers and the deceived gather together with Satan for the battle of the great day against the lamb of God.

They gather in the place, spiritually speaking, called "Armageddon" - i.e., the world we live in.

Mat 13:38  The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one

The tares is made up of everyone that does iniquity, throughout history. The parable of the tares teaches they will grow together with the wheat until the harvest. Tares may refer to all the children of the devil, not to those that come during the little season only.

1Jn 3:8  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 
9  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 
10  In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. 

And all go into perdition!
Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 
እግዚኣብሄር ኣቦ ብወዱ ብጐይታ ክርስቶስ የሱስ ዓብዪ ግብሪ ምድሓን ገይሩልና ። ክብርን ምስጋናን ፡ ብስም ክርስቶስ የሱስ ንዕኡ ይኹኖ ። ኣሜን ።

ናይ ዘልኣለም ህይወት ፣ ብናይ ኣምላኽና ዘልኣለማዊ ጸጋ ። ንሱ ርእሲ ኹሉ ኮይኑ ፣ ንዘልኣለም ይነግስ ።

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]