[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Parents to Blame for Christianity's Decline?  (Read 2266 times)

George

• I'm a llama!
Re: Are Parents to Blame for Christianity's Decline?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 04:54:57 AM »
Judging by the very liberal views of Pastors today, Yes I would say that. Speaking for only myself, I would say yes.

Dispensational Pastors are not liberal, we are the right wing of Christianity. Catholics, Postmillennial and Amillennialists are liberal.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 05:14:36 AM »
Tony, you are so long winded.

Some may think you are too long winded, even in your short posts. Because value is not in the length of the post, but the quality of the post.

A whole lotta talk and very little substance.

Please tell me you are talking about your own posts? Then I would have hope that you are starting to evaluate correctly.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »
Dispensational Pastors are not liberal, we are the right wing of Christianity.

Which just goes to prove that conservative and liberal politics have nothing to do with Christianity, because if Dispensationals are conservative, then obviously conservatism is no measure of sound Christianity. At least to most of us here. You call me liberal simply because I believe that lying, licentiousness, deception, race-baiting, dishonesty, immorality and a lack of integrity is unchristian. So if that's liberal, perhaps I should wear the title with pride. I don't separate Christians into liberal and conservative, I separate them into sheep and goats, sound and unsound, messengers of light and messengers of darkness, true and false Christians according to God's words. In today's way of thinking, the Scribes and Pharisees were very conservative while Jesus Christ would have been thought of as very liberal. That is to say, by people like yourself who put a lot of stock in labeling. These titles mean nothing to me.  Like Baptist, Presbyterian and Puritan.

As far as I'm concerned, and from reading my bible, One can see hypocrisy in Pastors more than anyone else. Because they above all are supposed to be an example. Christ said so. So I can understand why children not moved by the holy spirit would be driven astray hearing the Pastor say one thing and watching them do another. To use an analogy you might understand, it's like watching the President say he's a great leader, and then watching him prove that he is not. That will make any logical thinker lose faith in him. It's the same with Pastors. The do as I say, not as I do philosophy.

Why do you think God says Pastors should be people of not quick of temper, of good reputation and great integrity? Maybe because these things are important in a leader? Ya Think?

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »
 &TY

Nina

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
 )ditto(  :iagree:

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
Reformer, are you suggesting that parenting methods are the key?

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Melanie, I voted yes also, but I thought I would just cut and paste what I said on a related issue in 2014. There is a lack of training by Christian parents who have gone the way of modern child rearing abandoning Christian principles. I absolutely blame parents.

The Disrespect of Children to their Parents Today

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2919.msg32321#msg32321

"Parents are responsible for the growth in this country of disrespectful children. It starts in the home and that is where you either nip it in the bud or allow it to prosper. Children are for the most part a reflection of their up-bringing. And this is the worst crop of parents since the dawn of time. They won't correct, and they won't allow anyone else to correct. Children today know that there are no significant consequences for what they do. A time out is not correction, neither is a couple of hours sitting in the bedroom."
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Trevor

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 04:45:36 AM »
 )amen( Sound Christian parenting based on the bible is not only fundamental, it's foundational. We can readily see that modern parenting isnít simply a Christian problem, it's a world wide problem. But Christian parents are mimicking the world and so they have the same problems with their kids. To faithful Christians it's not a question of if parents are responsible, it's a question of is it too late to change and correct the error. If we want our kids to grow up Christian, resist following the morality (or immorality) of the world, we have to remove the temptations. Remove the temptation, don't just think your kids are smart enough to overcome it.

Matthew 18:9
"And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire."

As Tony said, we are to separate them from the world, not allow them to live as close to the world as they can get. We need to keep God's word and follow his guidelines on how to discipline them rightly. That's his instruction to us. We are a separate, holy people, not the same people.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »
Any articles or books to help me with this issue?
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
Tony, there is a difference between training versus discipline.

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »
Any articles or books to help me with this issue?

"Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp

"Raising Children Godís Way" by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 03:14:22 AM »
>>>
Tony, there is a difference between training versus discipline.
<<<

Sometimes. Other times disciplining "is" training. I think that the biblical narrative fully supports that. Training is simply teaching or instruction. Disciplining our sons or daughters is training them on what is right and wrong. Just as God does. Often times God trains us by disciplining us, and we call that chastisement.

Hebrews 12:6-10
  • "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
  • If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
  • But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

Would we all sometimes chastise our sons and daughters as Fathers who love them in the true sense of the word. Would we all would have trained them with discipline, cultivating them, controlling them, correcting, showing parental government, structure and regimen. Then this question would be unnecessary.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 06:01:19 AM »
 :iagree: No matter how parents and guardians are in denial continuing to reject their responsibility, they really are to blame. When I see that there is no fear of God in children today, and no real knowledge of God, I know the blame falls right on their upbringing, and that means parents. As for preachers kids, they are often the ones who know the least about the bible. So don't tell me preachers children know more, they know more that is wrong, which doesn't mean they are taught right.

The Bible says that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, but most Christian parents and pastors have instilled no real fear of God in their children. Children of Christian parents have no old school reverence for God and thus they have no real reverential fear or love of god. The parents have fallen into the trap of following modern secular child rearing practices on how to train their kids. Looking at it objectively, and I am, I think the reason is because they lack courage and think their kids won't love them if they place too many restrictions upon them. As a result, children learn they are really the boss and by the time the parent realizes it it's too late. They lack Godly training and discipline. In effect, they are just like secular children.

Terrell Meyer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »

Hebrews 12:6-10
  • "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
  • If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
  • But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

Would we all sometimes chastise our sons and daughters as Fathers who love them in the true sense of the word.

)Bible-Red(  )amen(  You have such good insights into the word.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »
Reformer, are you suggesting that parenting methods are the key?

No, I would never suggest that. I'm suggesting that Christ's word is the key, and we should not hesitate to have faith in it. I'm suggesting that too many Christians don't really believe God when he makes that statement in Proverbs 22:6 and that is why they defer to modern worldly or social methodologies. I'm suggesting that we should put our confidence in Christ, and not in secular parenting methods. Faith is belief, and I believe Christ when he says to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. That's faith, so all I'm suggesting is that Christians should be parents of faithfulness rather than faithlessness.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]