[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Electric Guitars and Snare Drums in Church  (Read 800 times)

Rupert

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Electric Guitars and Snare Drums in Church
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »

Is it Biblical or proper to have churches featuring big bands with electric guitars wailing and double drums in the church services? They play modern Christian or Christian Pop music. Is this Biblical?

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Electric Guitars and Snare Drums in Church
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
Yes it is. The Reformed music of negative traditional songs with funeral music is outdated.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-sun-is-always-shining-in-modern-christian-pop/

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:54:17 AM »
Yes it is. The Reformed music of negative traditional songs with funeral music is outdated.

Actually it is not outdated. Traditional Christian music is not funeral music, nor is it negative. That's all in your head. Traditional Christian music is uplifting, and places the praise and emphasis on God and what we owe in gratitude for all he's done. Modern Christian music puts the emphasis on feelings, rhythms and partying. It's all about us rather than God.

Many Christians may disagree but I do not think that it is biblical for faithful Christians to promote big bands with electric guitars and heavy base and drums in the church services. I think this is just a example of how the modern Christians have lost their sense of what's god glorifying and what is flesh glorifying. They want to have their cake and eat it too by listening to the same things the world does and yet confess they are separate from the world.

I have seen many large and popular mega churches with these big loud bands and people gyrating and stomping in the aisles, and there is no way this is making a joyful noise unto the Lord. It is carnal.

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:44:28 AM »
The Mega false churches are usually the ones that have these loud rocking bands. It goes along with the rest of their worldly service and allowances.
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »
Yes, contemporary churches are changing worship styles, and not to better glorify our lord. The changes are to so that the church keeps in step with progressive ideas. The percentage of churches that use drums, electric guitars and bass in worship has risen from around 10percent in the 1960s to over 50percent today. So it's clear that something new is going on in the churches and my opinion is that it's failing leadership, decadence, degeneracy and vanity. We once went to church to worship God and now we go to church to socialize, move to the rhythm, be entertained or justified in the way we are going.

Ps 89:7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.

What I hear in the modern music is not reverence and praise for the Lord, but pleasure in carnal feelings of entertainment. My test is this, if the music sounds worldly and appeals to our carnal nature, then it's not music we should have in our church. Christian music should be set apart from the world's music, not common. It's intent should be to praise God, not to make us get up, stomp our feet in trance like rhythm.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »

R.C. Sproul Jr. said:

"Itís true the evil isnít in the instrument; itís in us. Our worship problems do not flow from drums and guitars. They flow from the sad truth that we are shallow, insipid, easily played, safe, boring and sentimental.  Jesus, remember, didnít throw the money out of the temple, but the money-changers."

I agree. This doesn't mean that I support the doctrines of R.C. Sproul, just that in this case I believe that he is correct. It's the worldly music in the church that is bad, not the instrument. Although I wouldn't want loud or screeching electric guitars in my worship service.

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
This type of contemporary worship music is very recent in the mainstream churches but it is rapidly growing. Though it used to be more popular among Pentecostal and Charismatic churches, it is now growing fast in the conventional traditional churches also. For example, in what is known as the megachurches such as in Houston Lakewood Church of Texas, North Point Community Church of Georgia or Willow Creek in Illinois. Other examples are churches like Bethel Church, where the Jesus Culture ministry was formed. In all these churches, if you listen to their music it's very worldly with heavy metal and drums and sounds more like a rock songs. Though this contemporary music is facing little resistance anymore from traditional churches, individual Ministers and ministries like this one remain in opposition to this change in style.

The question is, is it biblical? As previously stated, drums and guitars are not inherently evil. But this music style does not belong in the Christian church. I have read Tony's article and I agree with its premise that as Christians we are to be separate from the world, not see how close we can get to the world's style, music and behavior. This move toward worldly, contemporary music is not motivated by a need to move closer to God, but to move farther away from Him in copying the sound of the world. In my opinion, it's because mankind in general is becoming more selfish and flesh oriented.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
This site, and the few sites like it that are left, are out of touch with Christians. That's why the Reformed Religion is a dying religion. Inability to change with the times. Inability to grow. Inability to accept literal interpretations and holding onto amillennial theology that is antiquated and antisemitic.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
    >>>
    This site, and the few sites like it that are left, are out of touch with Christians
    <<<

Yes we are out of "step" with a certain type of progressive professing Christian, and I hope and pray that we never get in step with them. That is my prayer. Spiritual adultery is just as bad as physical adultery. Friendship of the world is enmity with God, and whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. I am thankful to God to be out of touch with modern Christianity. When I make a joyful noise unto the Lord, I seek to praise Him, not to pleasure myself.

Psalms 100:1-4
    • "A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
    • Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
    • Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
    • Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name."

My joyful noise is to thank Him, to joy in the fact that He is merciful, not in that I feel good but that his works are fruitful..

>>>
    That's why the Reformed Religion is a dying religion.
    <<<

I don't know about that you label Reformed Religion, but I do know that the faithful church and gospel of Christ never dies.

>>>
    Inability to change with the times.
    <<<

Praise and Thank God for that. God's people are hedged about and we should not move that property line to accommodate and allow for strangers and their traditions.

Proverbs 22:28
    • "Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set."

>>>
     Inability to grow.
    <<<

Growth in some professing Christian's definition being to change to accommodate the world.  Our job as faithful Christians who keep (guard from loss) the Word of God is to have some of the world change, not to change for the world.

2nd Timothy 4:3
    • "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;"

That time is here. The love of God growing cold and iniquity increasing, and blessed are those who don't seek to change times and laws and calling it growth. Selah.

>>>
    Inability to accept literal interpretations and holding onto amillennial theology that is antiquated and antisemitic.
    <<<

Not worth responding to--again.

As for the modern contemporary music, contemporary churches are indeed changing worship styles, and not to better glorify our lord. The changes are so that the church keeps "in step" with progressive (meaning worldly) directions or trends. The percentage of churches that use drums, electric guitars and heavy bass in worship has risen from around 10 percent in the 1960s to over 40 percent today. So it's clear that something new is going on in the churches and my opinion it is that it is because of failing leadership, decadence, moral decay, degeneracy and a worldly assault on the senses. We once went to church to praise, worship and glorify God and now we seem to go to church to socialize, be entertained and hear smooth things that make us feel justified as Christians.

Pslms 89:7
    • "God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him."

What I hear in the modern music is not reverence and praise for the Lord, but pleasure in carnal feelings and a desire to be entertained. My test is this, if the music sounds worldly and appeals to our carnal/fleshly nature, then it's not music we should have in our church. Christian music should be set apart from the world's music, not common with it. It's intent should be to appeal to the Spiritual and to praise God, not to make us get up, stomp our feet or fall into a trance because of the worldly rhythm.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
    Tony Warren
    "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
    « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »

Actually it is not outdated. Traditional Christian music is not funeral music, nor is it negative.

That depends on your outlook. I'd rather not hear lifeless funeral music in church, but modern upbeat songs and hymns.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]