[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Mark of Cain  (Read 297 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
The Mark of Cain
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

Gen 4:13-16
[13]  And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
[14]  Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
[15]  And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
[16]  And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Why was it important to God that Cain not be killed by anyone or he will suffer vengeance seven fold? What mark did God put on Cain? Is it spiritual mark or physical mark? Is it the beginning of long history of mark of the beast?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Puritan Heart

Re: The Mark of Cain
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:23:57 AM »

[14]  Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
[15]  And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
[16]  And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Why was it important to God that Cain not be killed by anyone or he will suffer vengeance seven fold? What mark did God put on Cain? Is it spiritual mark or physical mark? Is it the beginning of long history of mark of the beast?

Hello Erik,

Excellent question and one that has really got me thinking and trying to parse these scriptures, however, methinks in order to attempt in finding the answer or at least part thereof, one needs to view the chapter almost in its entirety, and most certainly others, in order to understand firstly why the curse, and secondly, what the curse meant and thus, the results of the curse and the prolonged consequences over the generations up to the current time. 

A few thoughts;

I find it important to go right back to the time when Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden...we quickly discover then that the ground in fact has been twice cursed; once for Adams sake or because of, and the second time, by reason of Cain slaying Abel.  Why the same curse Twice ..??

Abels offerings were accepted by God but those of Cain were not !  Another why ?

Abel was not promised not to be killed, bearing in mind, one can only be killed once, but rather, that those who would kill him or his progeny, vengeance would be served seven fold upon the perpetrator/s ...number 7 ... thus I believe you are absolutely correct in your insight of the advancement of this curse throughout the ages up until our present time. 

If Cain was a tiller of the soil, he would surely have been confronted many times with beasts in the wild, thus we must assume he was adequately prepared to defend himself,at least before he killed Abel .. yes ? no ? If yes, we can pressume he still had those means of defence.  This then begs the question, what exactly was he afraid of, beasts or man ?

Interesting also to note is that God extends to Cain assurance of vengeance in the event of anyone *killing him* yet the same courtesy is not offered to Abel, the innocent victim.  Another Why ?

We can assume a *sevenfold vengeance* would be complete !  Divine vengeance.  The number 7.

I am furthermore not convinced it is a physical mark, but rather a spiritual marking, as in the the sealed of the Elect in Rev 9 v 4, however, just as the sealed of the Elect has a physical outworking, so too might be the mark of Cain and those who receive it.

At the end of this chapter, there is a genealogy of those after Cain.  Again, very interesting to note in verse 23 of Gen 4, Lamech reveals *Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.*
24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

Another very interesting point is that Lamech was 7th generation removed from Cain, the curse then, according to Lamech, vastly multiplied.  Again, what might the meaning of this mean and it leads back again to the signicance of the original curse.

The land was to rest in the 7th year, Lev 25 v 4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.

... this might be that the Seven fold curse would not only imply the severity of the curse but also the timing ... at Gods appointed time, the time of His full completion of whatever events were or are in view ..??

The Bible does not tell exactly how Cain did die.

Words that pass rapidly through my heart and mind when reading this chapter are these; Predestination and Election, Gods Mercy, both to the just and the unjust, Providence and the Sovereignity of God Almighty in the fulfillment of His Plan for this world, right up to the time Christ comes for His church,  the Fulfilled grapes of the Wrath of God Almighty in Revelation 14 and many more.

Pardon me for not answering your question directly and if any of the above seems confusing, but a really thought provoking question posted by yourself and one I hope someone will be able to shed more light on ... in the meanwhile, I keep working on it and will add to the thread as and how I believe I understand ... if indeed I do at all  :)

Alexandra

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »

Greetings Erik~I'm convinced that Cain's mark is nothing more than the beginning of a long history of the "THIS generation" of the children of the wicked one, who ARE born with the mark of the beast! The mark is spiritual in nature. Let me see if I can give my understanding in a manner which it will make sense, but more than that, the scriptures would support me.

You know the scripture that tells us that God hardened Pharaoh's heart. We both know that God did not work in Pharaoh to cause his heart to be hardened against him, but it simply means that God DID NOT work in him to MAKE his heart soft toward him, he simply left Pharaoh to HIMSELF, and then without God's mercy and help his heart naturally hardened itself against God.

I see the same here with Cain~by God putting a mark on Cain he simply allow Cain to use his corrupt mind/heart for him to MAKE a WAY for him to survive in a world where men would kill others for his advantage and profit, etc.~ in order to serve his own lust. To me, it's that simple.
Quote from: Erik
Why was it important to God that Cain not be killed by anyone or he will suffer vengeance seven fold?
The good, spiritual, and holy law of God forbids murder, in every sense, one can think of~ seven-fold? To me, it's what God set in the beginning, yet that did not stop them!

Whatever understanding we come with MUST flow with others scriptures and this is the only one that works for me. Our sister Puritan Heart over thought this, even though I truly enjoy all of her spiritual minded posts.
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, etc.

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »
Good question Erik. Is it possible that the answer is found in looking at others who presumed to be the authorized head of the church?  As first born, Cain was the ruler of the family after Adam.  Surely he knew about the seed of Eve who would defeat Satan:

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Genesis 4:1  And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

How about Saul, who persecuted the true believers while David killed the enemies of Israel:

1 Samuel 18:7 And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.
1 Samuel 22:18 And the king said to Doeg, Turn thou, and fall upon the priests. And Doeg the Edomite turned, and he fell upon the priests, and slew on that day fourscore and five persons that did wear a linen ephod.

But David would not hurt Saul:

1 Samuel 24:  5 And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt.  6 And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD'S anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.
2 Samuel 1: 14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD'S anointed?  15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. 

How about when Paul respected the high priest, the head of the passing church:

Acts 23:3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?  4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest?  5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

God establishes rulers to restrain sin, without which, sin multiplies seven fold.

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.  2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Luke 11:24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.  25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.  26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Lloyd

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
>>>
<<<

I believe that the language of a mark being placed upon Cain by God is spiritual in nature and "signifies" that he has fallen away from his corporate representative relationship with God. He being cast out of His presence illustrates this. In addition to what has already been said, I believe that Cain is the first in a long line of "professing servants" of God to go astray and as a result is judged of God in no longer being allowed in His presence. The first representative of apostasy in the family of God.

Genesis 4:16
  • "And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden."

Nod being the land outside of the presence of God. Clearly Cain being expelled from the place where God manifested his special presence is the judgment because of the transgressions against his brother. Cain and Able represented a family or kindred that served God, and in this they were separated.  Lest we forget, Cain also brought an offering to God, and by this it shows that he outwardly professed to serving God. However, unlike Able he was never God's elect and so there was no grace where he could gain respect or consideration from God by the works of his hands in the earth.

Genesis 4:2-5
  • "And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
  • And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
  • And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
  • But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell."

Cain came along with his brother with a gift or offering, but not being an elect of God his offering was with sin of his toil of the earth and was unacceptable to God. It was not with the Spirit of the expression of faith generated through the coming Savior. As a result, sin stood at his door and the result was enmity against the brother in his own household. He hated his brother without a cause, and that hatred manifested itself in his murder, and ultimately resulted in his removal from the presence of God to a land outside of that presence. He became a vagabond in this world because his offerings weren't accompanied by faith.

Genesis 4:7
  • "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door."

There is none that doeth good, no not one. And Cain surmised that the works of his own hands should be shown respect by God, and when it was not the natural man he was took over. This fueled the enmity between him and his brother, but more importantly between himself and the God that he claimed to serve. Even as it has always been from this beginning, that a man's foes are those of his own household. The people of God's household, brother against brother, signifying the tenuous relationship among God's people.

Genesis 4:15-16
  • "And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
  • And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden."

It was important to God that after Cain received the mark that he should not be killed by anyone because this event is a portrait of the spiritual marking of those of the congregation that are rejected and ultimately numbered as being of the beast. They aren't killed physically either, but their ultimate death is assuredly as cain's was. Their final judgment being reserved unto the end. No Crusades, no Witch hunts, the saints are to practice charity, grace, love, mourning in compassion for their enemies. Not as the world defines it love or charity, but as God does.

1st Peter 3:8-9
  • "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
  • Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing."

When the two witnesses of God's house are killed by their brethren, the judgment and justice for these murderers belongs to God, not to those of who witness their atrocities. By the word of God that we bring, that is God's judgment at our mouths, not at our hands.  If our enemy hunger, we feed them. If we offer him a snake instead, we are ourselves in violation of God's will. And because we know better, we will be judged seven fold, a full or complete judgment? Indeed, that's why God says teachers will be judged more severely.

The mark God placed upon him after his falling away is a token signifying that God's judgment rests upon him. He is officially numbered cast ut from before God to belong to Satan's kingdom rather than God's. The mark placed upon men in scripture (good or bad) illustrates possession, just as one would do in branding cattle. It's very much like when God says to those of His corporate people, that He will remove their name from the book of life? it's because they are His corporate people, but now are no longer representatives of the Kingdom of Christ and so don't belong written among the living. Corporately, they are moved away from God's presence, exactly as Cain was, and exactly as national Israel was, and exactly as is those who fall into apostasy today are or will be.

Exodus 32:33
  • "And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

This isn't a physical book, this language signifies that these people were symbolically part of God's corporate visible congregation, but were never really blood washed children of the promise. So though they were visibly registered participants, they are not really a part of those with eternal registry and everlasting life. They professed membership in the Lamb's book of life but they registered their names there unworthily. God knows who are his and so He blots their names out of this symbolic book. Their offerings in this world, like Cain's, are unclean and thus without respect/consideration by God since they were through works rather than through Christ.

2nd Timothy 2:19-20
  • "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
  • But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour."

In any house there is a Cain and there is an Able. Brethren corpoerately, but not brethren Spiritually in true faith. The Lord knows who are truly His, and who to cast out.

Look at the mark of the beast in Revelation because it also illustrates that very same falling away of those of one house professing to know and serve God, but who end up forsaking Him to serve the Beast's image. It is the same principle of being in the corporate presence of God, and then forsaking Him in time of trial. That is when these pretenders are symbolically marked as worshipping idolatry and cast out.

The mark cannot signify that any servant was saved and then lost salvation and became a servant of Satan, because salvation cannot be lost. Additionally, we're all servants of Satan from the womb, we don't get a mark later on in life for that, we receive this mark because we (like Cain) were then registered in the corporate or visible church or presence of the Lord, and then fell away to serve the beast. That is when we are deceived and marked in God's judgment where there is no returning. Even as it is written:

Hebrews 6:4-6
  • "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
  • And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
  • If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

These were partakers of the presence of the Lord by being in His dwelling place, they had tasted the heavenly gift but did not Spiritually eat of it, they had seen the power of God and the world to come And yet they rejected all that to serve the beast and as a result, they can never be renewed. Like Cain and those who fall to worship the Devil, they receive the mark that illustrates they belong to him and are under the wrath of God, reserved unto the judgment. Indeed, just as a great many of Israel were said to be cast out of the Kingdom by God.

Matthew 8:11-12
  • "And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
  • But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth/i]."

How can the children of the kingdom be cast out? Only by never being spiritually part of the true kingdom (Jerusalem from above) in the first place. They were simply carnally registered as part of the corporate body, the outward kingdom representation, the visible congregation. Then (as with Cain) God's judgment comes upon them where His Spirit is removed from them (as it was with Cain), and they are not killed but reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Darkness which they cannot see or recognize they arebind and marked as no longer of the kingdom congregation of God. That's the great deception of the whole thing. That's mystery Babylon. That's abomination of desolation that only the elect can see.

Matthew 21:43
  • "Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof/i]."

Did any of these professing servants of God recognize that they were under judgment or cast out of the Kingdom? Did they really have the true spiritual Kingdom of God and lose it? The answer is no, they were outwardly the representation of the kingdom, and they lost that. But they were never truly God's children of the promise unless they were (like Abe) accompanied by a sacrifice through Christ Jesus. So they were cast out from the presence of God just as Cain was cast out of God's presence. Their faces hid from God, just as Cain's was.

Genesis 4:14
  • "Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me."
Genesis 4:16
  • "And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden."

The language of Cain being driven out and leaving the presence of the Lord is one of being rejected of God to be there any longer. That's what the mark signified. The mark is spiritual and signifies that Cain is numbered with the unsaved world. Just as God uses the mark of the Beast to signify those who were of God's house and fell away being deceived to serve Satan. The same principle of one who was in the presence of God being marked as belonging to the beast.

The language of no one taking vengeance on Cain, Puritan Heart and Red explained, that he was reserved unto God's judgment. It is not for man to take vengeance upon him. This being a long standing Biblical principle.

Romans 12:19
  • "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."
Psalms 94:1-3
  • "O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself.
  • Lift up thyself, thou judge of the earth: render a reward to the proud.
  • LORD, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph?"

The unpalatable truth is that it is not an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, it is not for us (God's Servants) to execute judgment upon the wicked, that judgment belongs to God--in due time. And to rulers, whom God by His sovereign will has placed in power to execute judgments.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Christopher Henson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:57 AM »
Thank you all for such good explanations.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:06:01 AM »
You guys think that the whole bible is about the church? I don't agree.

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:44:44 AM »
You guys think that the whole bible is about the church? I don't agree.
Greetings Drew, without derailing this thread, I will only mention a couple of thoughts. The scriptures are about the righteous and the wicked, a chosen generation and a generation of non-elect. These two generations are in the world~ one is chosen and called out, the other left to themselves, living under the power of darkness.
Quote from: John
1st John 3:12~"Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
Drew, here we see two groups of generations, both were religious, one taught of God, the other left to his own wisdom, which moved him to look to his own labors as a means of being accepted, for his thoughts were....... what greater works can I offer for myself, other than "MY OWN" labors? The church is in BOTH OT and NT.
Quote from: Luke
Acts 7:32~"This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:"
Even though it is very true some men's thoughts are WHO is the LORD that I should worship him? Mystery Babylon is not limited to the church in OT and NT, nevertheless, this world IS made up of only two generations of people, the righteous and the wicked, regardless of their religious affiliations, if any~ For "all men" worship something if they do not love and believe in the God of our Lord Jesus Christ. I can clearly see the church in both testaments...the ones that have been called out of this world, and the ones that have not. They are CLEARLY MARKED on their foreheads and their right hands~foreheads.... they are in agreement with either the word of God OR this world system: in the right hands~they either have fellowship with God and those begotten by Him, OR, their fellowship is found in those who are servants to sin and Devil himself as his spirit works in and through them.
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, etc.

yaboo

• I'm a Lamma
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
I read that the Hebrew word that is translated mark in Genesis with regard to Cain is 'owth and is like a indicator or token. If you look through the Old Testament this Hebrew word is used over 70 times and is usually translated as sign. So God must have put some literal mark on him that was a sign.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
>>>
If you look through the Old Testament this Hebrew word is used over 70 times and is usually translated as sign.
<<<

Thus the mark God placed upon him was as a sign, an indicator or token of something more important than a physical mark. Just as God's turning water to wine was a sign of something far more important. Or His opening the eyes of the blind was a sign of something else. Or His raising the dead was a sign of something else. The mark "represented" Cain was cast out and no longer of the House of God but reserved unto His judgment, just as the mark placed on believers indicate they are of the House of God and are those elect who are free from judgment. Example:

Ezekiel 9:4-6
  • "And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
  • And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
  • Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house."

Cain's mark is a mark for those of God's house who worship the beast, and the faithful's mark is that of God's election who have not bowed the knee to idolatry and will not be judged.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]