[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Living Will Envy The Dead  (Read 197 times)

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
The Living Will Envy The Dead
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
I have heard it said that in the end times the bible says that the living will envy the dead. I can't find it, is this true?

Dustin

• My Grace Is Sufficient
Re: The Living Will Envy The Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
I just did a search on the phrase "The Living Will Envy The Dead" in the Bible and it's not there. Perhaps they are thinking about another term.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
I think this has to do more with different translation that they were trying to use.  For example, New News Translation with Apocrypha, reads:

Ecclesiastes 4:2-3 [GNTA]

[2]I envy those who are dead and gone; they are better off than those who are still alive.

[3]But better off than either are those who have never been born, who have never seen the injustice that goes on in this world.

And the good ol' King James Bible reads:

Ecc 4:2-3 [KJV]
[2]  Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive.
[3]  Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Shirley

• The Spirit of Christ
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »

And the good ol' King James Bible reads:

Ecc 4:2-3 [KJV]
[2]  Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive.
[3]  Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.

Erik,
  What relation are these to this:

Revelation 14:13
"And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them."

I praised the dead which are already dead and Blessed are the dead which died in the Lord? Sounds similar.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]