[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: A Bone of Him Shall Not Be Broken  (Read 1311 times)

Roger Dodson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
A Bone of Him Shall Not Be Broken
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:51:15 AM »
John 19:36
"For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken".

A minister in my area told me that this was not a prophecy is not found in scripture. I searched through the scriptures and there is no passage that says a bone of him shall not be broken. This pastor says this may have been something written in an uninspired book or that a scribe might have misspoke. What do you make of this verse?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: A Bone of Him Shall Not Be Broken
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:03:24 AM »
>>>
John 19:36
"For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken".

A minister in my area told me that this was not a prophecy is not found in scripture. I searched through the scriptures and there is no passage that says a bone of him shall not be broken. My pastor says this may have been omething written in an uninspired book or that a scribe might have misspoke. What do you make of this verse?
<<<

Actually it is the fulfillment of a prophecy, and it is found in the inspired scripture. Maybe not in the way that minister is searching for it, but still there. A prophecy (in this instance and use of the word) is something that foretells an upcoming act or event. Christ being the sacrifice Lamb satisfies the requirements of the Old Testament laws of removal of sin in scripture that foretold of His coming (Isaiah 53:7). He is the realization of what the law "represented."

Exodus 12:21
  • "Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover."

The scripture of John 19 is fulfilled in that Christ was the Paschal Lamb of God that the law of the Passover sacrifice of Israel looked forward to. Just as John the Baptist proclaimed, behold "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29), He was in fact a fulfillment (the antitype of the type) of those Scriptures that clearly "represented" and pointed to Him. e.g.:

Exdus 12:43-46
  • "And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof:
  • But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.
  • A foreigner and an hired servant shall not eat thereof.
  • In one house shall it be eaten; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; neither shall ye break a bone thereof."

This Exodus 12:46 prophetic law is also echoed in Psalms 34:20 where we read, " Ps 34:20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken." Our Lord is meticulous in the details of his death and that he should remain whole. Christ fulfilled the prophecies concerning the Messiah that those who are vigiland might from the Scriptures verify that he was this prophecied sacrificial Lamb of God.

Numbers 9:10-12
  • "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If any man of you or of your posterity shall be unclean by reason of a dead body, or be in a journey afar off, yet he shall keep the passover unto the LORD.
  • The fourteenth day of the second month at even they shall keep it, and eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
  • They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it."

The symbolical and prophetic meaning of this is what you read in John 19:33-36. Christ, being the true passover Lamb that these sacrifices prophecied, was the fulfillment of the Scriptures, as it is written. The symbolic significance of His bones not being broken is one of His protection and deliverance of the body (Psalms 34:20) is through Him. Your pastor is either unaware of the passages and significance, or doesn't think the Bible really inspired. It doesn't surprise me though, with the condition of the rulers in the churches today. Rest assured, the Holy Bible is sound, true and trustworthy, but its ministers often are not.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Anne

• Grow With God
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »
Thank you Tony for clearing that up, because I was also told that the prophecy that appears in Exodus 12:46, Numbers 9:12 were not prophecies, they were commandments. You've cleared that up for me.

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
John 19:36

A minister in my area told me that this was not a prophecy is not found in scripture. I searched through the scriptures and there is no passage that says a bone of him shall not be broken. This pastor says this may have been something written in an uninspired book or that a scribe might have misspoke. What do you make of this verse?

It all depends upon if you think the Old Testament sacrifices spoke of Christ. If they did, then it is prophecy. If not, then it's not. My guess is that those who claim it was not a prophecy of Christ have an a ulterior motive. Perhaps it stems from Zionism or was from Jewish scholars disputing Christ was the Messiah. It certainly is not from something bible believers would give credit to.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
To me it just goes to show how many will try and find reasons why the Bible isn't true, or is contradictory or can't be trusted. I see so many examples of this these days. It seems everyone wants to attack the credibility of the Bible.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]