[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Can Christians Participate In Halloween?  (Read 14066 times)

Beechwood

• Fishers of Men
Can Christians Participate In Halloween?
« on: September 24, 2003, 08:15:14 AM »
With Halloween coming up, this is a question that I hope to get some really serious feedback from, because it is very personal to me since my sister's child mayl be participating in it this year.

Some Christians say that it is no big deal, and we should not really make a fuss over some kids going out to trick or treat, because they are not worshipping the devil, it's just a fun game.

Other Christians say that we shouldn't have anything to do with Halloween, nor let our children go out and participate. This year my sister's child is old enough to go out trick or treating, and she says she's leaning towards allowing that. My question is, is this Christian liberty, or is there something wrong with Christian children trick or treating.

I know the history of halloween, but the children are not participating in old saints day, are they? They are just dressing up and playing games. At least that's my sister's answer. Is this correct, or should she not allow it? I'll be grateful for any opinions or scripture defense.
 Thanks,

Jen

Re: Can Christians Participate In Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 09:24:43 AM »
As a mother of five, I know the subject comes up everytime this year. I always have the same answer and I will not be swayed by the "wisdom and arguments of the world". I read my children these scriptures:
1 Thessalonians 5:22"Abstain from all appearance of evil." and 1 Peter 4:14  If ye be reproached for the name of Christ , happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on  their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
15  But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters .
16  Yet  if any man suffer as  a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
As Christians we are not to partake in evil (nor the appearance of it). I tell my children NO to halloween every year, this year I think they are finally getting it. Instead we do something together as a  family. I know some people who pass out tracts with candy, but I do not participate at all. I do not buy the candy, so I do not encourage anyone to trick or treat. You may want to appeal to your sister's conscience by asking her if she could take her child trick or treating with Jesus. We are to do all things as unto the LORD. As a believer, the Holy Spirit of God and of Christ dwells in me, so I always ask myself...does this honor God?
There will always be excuses and ridicule, but that is part of the Christians life, for all who are to live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. I have been told my children will grow up warped if I do not let them participate in halloween..I guess that goes for the easter bunny and santa claus?? Oh Please, I will not make up lies to fill my children's brains with, but rather I will instruct them in the Word of God and pray for His mercy upon their souls.
In His Mercy and Grace,
Jen

Peng Bao

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:57:01 AM »
You may want to appeal to your sister's conscience by asking her if she could take her child trick or treating with Jesus. We are to do all things as unto the LORD. As a believer, the Holy Spirit of God and of Christ dwells in me, so I always ask myself...does this honor God?

That's a "great" point Jen!

Would we be embarrassed to take Christ with us to a celebration complete with pictures and costumes of Devils, the Dead, Witches, Familiar Spirits and Demons? I think the answer is obvious. Good Point. Let your conscience be your guide. With scriptue authority of course.

Jen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 09:54:24 AM »
Dear Peng Bao,
I am glad you wrote to let the conscience be our guide with the scriptural authority. Without the Scripture leading our minds and our consciences being submitted to the Word of God we would have much trouble. I came across a verse in 1 Timothy 4: 2" Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron." The whole chapter is important to read. I also wanted to share a quote with you by Hess-"Your heart and conscience cannot guide, For they're decieved by sin inside; But if you want to see what's true,The Word of God will mirror you."In other words it is not what we think or feel that is important. It is what God's Word teaches us that is important, we must pray for mercy that we will recieve it in all truth and with all reverence. God is Holy and we must treat His Word with all respect.
In His Mercy and Grace,
Jen

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 03:04:29 AM »

Should christian's allow their children to go out trick or treating on halloween with the rest of the neighborhood? My former Pastor says that this is not a sin for them and I should not worry about it. He says because children doing this are not worshipping Satan, they're just having a good time. Any input from you will be appreciated.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:45:43 AM »

Should christian's allow their children to go out trick or treating on halloween with the rest of the neighborhood? My former Pastor says that this is not a sin for them and I should not worry about it. He says because children doing this are not worshipping Satan, they're just having a good time. Any input from you will be appreciated.

[Soapbox mode on]
Hi Melanie.
  My opinion is that it is not just innocent fun, and we should not let our children participate in it. We should start teaching them at an early age the difference between the world and Christians. They're not missing anything. If you have to, throw a party to celebrate reformation day. Just don't fall into the trap of people trying to tell you it's just innocent fun.

This question comes up every year about this time. Here are some links to help you with your question.

http://mountainretreatorg.net/searchit/searchit.cgi?halloween

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

hotrod

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:20:46 PM »

Melanie,
You say he is your former Pastor.  What does your current Pastor say?

Rodney
Maranatha,
Rodney

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 03:29:40 PM »

Halloween is a celebration of the eve before all saints day. It's all hallows eve. Therefore it's not a evil day.

Furthermore trick or treating is innocent because the children are innocent and are not worshipping Satan..

Job 17:8 Upright men shall be astonied at this, and the innocent shall stir up himself against the hypocrite.

You stiff necks need to loosten up a little and let the kids have some fun.

hotrod

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 09:35:55 PM »

Halloween is a celebration of the eve before all saints day. It's all hallows eve. Therefore it's not a evil day.

Furthermore trick or treating is innocent because the children are innocent and are not worshipping Satan..

And if you stand in the middle of the road with an 18-wheeler coming directly at you, and click your heels three times and believe hard enough that when it hits you it will not kill you...
In other words, it does not matter what one thinks aside from the word of God.  Traditions have no hold on heaven.  1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.  23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Job 17:8 Upright men shall be astonied at this, and the innocent shall stir up himself against the hypocrite.

I would imagine that you are saying that these little children are innocent.  But, does that not contradict what the scripture says Psalms 14; 53; Romans 3; 5.

Ps 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison [is] under their lips. Selah.

Rodney
Maranatha,
Rodney

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 12:59:47 AM »
<<<Furthermore trick or treating is innocent because the children are innocent and are not worshipping Satan>>>

Now what page of the" Holy Roman Catholic" apostasy did you discover this profound statement of yours?

"Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in Sin did my mother conceive me." Psalm 51:5

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned," Romans 5:12

"For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." 1 Corr.15:21-22

"How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a Woman?" Job 25:4

Unless you are washed with the blood you are unclean,and nothing unclean will enter the kingdom. Eph.5:5.
andreas. 8)

kai ean diabainhs di˘ udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

samhn

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 01:07:15 AM »

We are not righteous, although we strive to be right.
We strive to be right, although we are not righteous.

Sam

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:11:35 AM »

Why don't you explain yourself? Are you saying that a kid knocking on a neighbor's door and saying "trick or treat" is a sin? That's the question I want answered. But no one is answering it. I wonder why?

samhn

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 09:58:45 AM »
Why don't you explain yourself? Are you saying that a kid knocking on a neighbor's door and saying "trick or treat" is a sin? That's the question I want answered. But no one is answering it. I wonder why?

Earlier on this thread, Pearson provided excellent source of information regarding the subject.   

Don’t be a part of it. I wouldn’t. But again it is your choice of celebration for your own living soul.

Sam

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »

Earlier on this thread, Pearson provided excellent source of information regarding the subject.   

Don’t be a part of it. I wouldn’t. But again it is your choice of celebration for your own living soul.

Sam

What a novel way to avoid a simple question. NOT! Are there no honest Christians left? I ask again this very simple question. Are you saying that a kid knocking on a neighbor's door and saying "trick or treat" is a sin? That's the question I want answered. But no one is answering it. I wonder why?

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 01:09:01 PM »
Doug,

Lets look at your question strictly from a wordly perspective.  Since others have already stated that Scripture tells us to abstain from every appearance of evil, lets see what Webster's New World Dictionary has to tell us about the word "trick"

trick: 1  an action or device designed to deceive, cheat, outwit, etc.; artifice; dodge; ruse; stratagem 2 a)  a mischievous or playful act; prank, practical joke, etc. b) a deception or illusion/the light played a trick on my eyes  3  a freakish, foolish, mean, or stupid act  4  a clever or difficult act intended to amuse; specif., a) an act of jugglery or sleight of hand; also, an illusion of the kind created by legerdemain  b) an action, feat, or routine performed by an animal as a result of training  5  any feat requiring skill  6  the art or knack of doing something easily, skillfully, quickly, etc. /the craft, or trade  /to learn the tricks of the trade/  8  a personal habit or mannerism /a trick of tugging at the ear/  9  a turn or round of duty of work; shift  10 [colloq.] a child or girl, esp. one viewed as cute or pretty  11  [slang]  a) the act or an instance of performing sexual intercourse as a prostitute with a customer  b) such a customer  12 Card Games the cards played and won in a single round - vt. to deceive or swindle - adj.  1  having to do with or used for a trick or tricks  2  that tricks  3  apt to malfunction; of uncertain reliability /a trick knee/ - do (or turn) the trick [colloq.] to bring about the desired result - not miss a trick [colloq.] to be very alert - trick out (or up) to dress up; deck; array - tricker

syn. - trick is the common word for an action or device in which ingenuity and cunning are used to outwit others and implies decepton either for fraudulent purposes or as a prank; ruse applies to that which is contrived as a blind for one's real intentions or for the truth/her apparent illness was merely a ruse/;  a stratagem is a more or less complicated ruse, by means of which one attempts to outwit or entrap an enemy or antagonist [military stratagems]; maneuver, specifically applicable to military tactics, in general use suggests the shrewd manipulation of persons or situations to suit one's purposes [a political maneuver]; artifice stresses inventiveness or ingenuity in the contrivance of an expedient, trick, etc. [artifices employed to circumvent the tax laws]; wile implies the use of allurements or beguilement to ensnare [womanly wiles]

trickery:  the act or practice of tricking; use of tricks; deception; fraud
trickish:  1  given to trickery; deceitful  2 characterized by or full of tricks

trick or treat!  give me a treat or I will play a trick on you!:  traditional greeting used by children going from door to door in costume on Halloween asking for treats......harmless and innocent?  Or slight of hand cunning used by Satan to trick us into believing its harmless and innocent?     

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]