[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Time stamp  (Read 2078 times)

billnjune

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
Time stamp
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
When I post a comment, the time stamp seems to be 4 hours earlier.  This is not GMT or any other time zone that I can see.  What is going on here?

Bill
 ???
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Time stamp
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
The time depends on what time the server upon which this Website resides is on, plus if there has been any adjustment made up or down by whoever set up the forum for their time zone. Just as your computer has a clock and shows the time you set, if the server is in California it will have California time, if in New York, New york time. I'm on the east coast and the time under my name says July 14, 2015, 07:31:07 PM.   Which by my watch is about 3 minutes off.  Where are you located?

billnjune

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:35 PM »
Thank you Reformer,

I am in California and the time stamp here is 4 hours earlier which would place it 1 hour out in the Atlantic.  It seems to me if we need time stamps that using UTC or GMC would be best for everyone worldwide.

Maybe the server clock was not set for the daylight savings time, so that would put the server back on land on the east coast.

I am posting this at 7:13 PM Pacific time.

Bill

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »
Thank you Reformer,

I am in California and the time stamp here is 4 hours earlier which would place it 1 hour out in the Atlantic.  It seems to me if we need time stamps that using UTC or GMC would be best for everyone worldwide.

Maybe the server clock was not set for the daylight savings time, so that would put the server back on land on the east coast.

I am posting this at 7:13 PM Pacific time.

Bill

You posted at 7:13 and for me it registers as posted at 10:13. That's three hours behind our time. I wonder if that's how most see it?

billnjune

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »

You posted at 7:13 and for me it registers as posted at 10:13. That's three hours behind our time. I wonder if that's how most see it?

That is very interesting!  For me it shows a posting of 3:13 when I actually posted it a 7:13.  four hours from west coast time.  If everyone posted local time, that would be great. 

I hope that we can get Tony's (administrators) comments.

Bill

gordonh

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Perhaps they could just turn on a timezone designator like  EDT.  That would be much easier than trying to adjust the displayed times to the users local time zone.

Maurice

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
It's simple really. I use to have SMF set up on my site (before the crazies got to me). Here's the info directly from SMF forum HQ

# Local Time - Since a member may be from any part of the world, their local time is displayed.

Not all forum administrators want their forum to use the same time zone as the server upon which it is hosted. Use this option to specify a time difference (in hours) from which the forum should operate from the server time. Negative and decimal values are permitted.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]