[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Celebrate Thanksgiving?  (Read 1804 times)

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Should Christians Celebrate Thanksgiving?
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
Reading all the lovely posts wishing a happy thanksgiving, a question came to mind. Is it lawful for Christians to celebrate Thanksgiving since it is not a church or bible sanctioned observance. Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not saying that it is unlawful, I'm just asking the question because I have heard that Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter should not be celebrated by Christians. Have you heard that and what is your response?

SavedByGrace

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
Curtis,

If you have nothing to be thankful for then you should not celebrate Thanksgiving, but for Christians, I hope that we can all be thankful for Christ who came and paid for our sins.  The unbelievers should be thankful for the country house food or job etc, but they are really without hope in the eternity to come.

Bill
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
I'm not saying that it is unlawful, I'm just asking the question because I have heard that Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter should not be celebrated by Christians. Have you heard that and what is your response?

I have heard that of course, but the people I've heard it from give me my first clue that it's not really a well thought out position.  I celebrate on all three of these days and see nothing wrong with selecting a day to glorifying God, His resurrection, his birth or to give thanks for all we have been blessed with. This I see as a case of christian liberty. If you don't want to celebrate on these days, don't. There is no sin in not celebrating on these days. But if you do, do so to the glory of God in good conscience.

Have a very blessed Thanksgiving day. If you choose.

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
Curtis, you'd probably discover that most people don't celebrate Thanksgiving with any spiritual intent. They celebrate a couple days off work with a four-day weekend,usually with sports, food, and alcohol. If there is any spiritual thought toward God it is probably directed at having the family safely gathered together around the dinner table for that one night.

Note: The Pilgrims thanked God for His grace in delivering them from starvation - they didn't thank the Indians or a turkey (as you were probably told in government school). I

'm not sure why anyone would think it would be unbiblical to take a moment to reflect on Thanksgiving, thanking God for the grace He has shown a person's family? Next thing we'd be wondering if we are permitted to celebrate birthdays, graduations, new marriages, new jobs, and other happy news.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]