[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Public Schools  (Read 15028 times)

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Public Schools
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
 I have a nephew who graduated from high school, and he cannot even read. His other educational skills are that of a 6th grader. Yet they awarded him a high school diploma. When did schools start passing and graduating students who haven't made the grade? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this student, he is not mentally challeged or anything, they just didn't teach him anything or he never applied himself to learn. Either way, shouldn't he have been flunked and have to repeat any grade he didn't have passing grades on? Why are they giving people diplomas that cannot even read?

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Re: Public Schools
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:58:09 PM »
I have a nephew who graduated from high school, and he cannot even read. His other educational skills are that of a 6th grader. Yet they awarded him a high school diploma. When did schools start passing and graduating students who haven't made the grade? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this student, he is not mentally challeged or anything, they just didn't teach him anything or he never applied himself to learn. Either way, shouldn't he have been flunked and have to repeat any grade he didn't have passing grades on? Why are they giving people diplomas that cannot even read?

If he actually got high school diploma, then he did have passing grades, even "D", like it or not.  My eldest son who stayed with his mother graduated last month from one of best high school in state with a 1.876 GPA overall.  What can I do?

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »
>>>
 I have a nephew who graduated from high school, and he cannot even read. His other educational skills are that of a 6th grader. Yet they awarded him a high school diploma. When did schools start passing and graduating students who haven't made the grade?
<<<

Since the post modern era when it became "chic" to praise and reward everyone, regardless of how poorly they do. Its the "positive reinforcement" theory gone mad. It started out with the new-age parenting, and its now all-pervasive in all walks of life, from sports to employment to schooling. This notion that only giving the students who worked hard and passed the grade a Diploma, would harm the other students self-esteem.  ::)  And of course, we can't have that. Better to just lower the standards so anyone can make the grade and receive a Diploma. i.e., just give them a record of graduation that isn't worth the paper its written on. They didn't really start passing and graduating students who haven't made the grade, instead they just made it so everyone makes the grade. The old sleight of hand trick. cause the hand's quicker than the eye. Reading may be fundamental, but an elementary grasp on it is not really required in a lot of schools.

Listen, I understand. Some of my younger relatives can't count without a calculater, and all the new parents and educaters today think that's just fine. Common sense has nothing to do with it, its practical for them.

>>>
..shouldn't he have been flunked and have to repeat any grade he didn't have passing grades on?
<<<

Flunked? Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long time. Of course he should have. And if it hurts his pride, that's just part of the life experience. Or it should be. It was once chalked up to a learning experience. Now the teacher will be lucky if the parent doesn't sue.

Everyone can't be a rocket scientist. But that's not how society thinks anymore. This is the era of "love" being defined as being nice, agreeable and compromising to everyone and everything. ergo, its cruel to flunk children. The fact is, in some schools and urban areas, in essence the taxpayer is paying millions each year for glorified baby-sitters rather than teachers. And it would be embarrassing to flunk that many students, not to mention, not politically correct. Its a complicated issue, but one that should have been addressed long ago. Unfortunately, the near-sighted liberals rule in most of the educational circles.

>>>
Why are they giving people diplomas that cannot even read?
<<<

To cover up the disgrace we call our public educational system. No way they are going to admit to a failure of such magnitude as would obviously be evident if they flunked everyone that deserved it. Pass the buck, let the employers sort it out afterward.

Home schooling is a great alternative, but that takes caring, dedicated parents, one of which has to be home. A circumstance that is also in short supply. Since they would shirivel up and die if they had to live without cable or cell phones. Ok, I'm rambling, but its not really a mystery why they are giving people diplomas that can't even read. Its easier than actually "caring" enough to go about fixing the core problem.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

pepsisue42

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »

Indeed , that is a sad situation...what state is this student in? There is a great difference in the standards of some states as compared to others. If the standards are low as in the level of testing, then it would certainly be a problem needing to be addressed by the state education department. States in the Northeast of the US tend to have very high educational standards and home-schooled students are required to pass all state testing as well. But then as in all situations , there are excellent teachers and excellent parents and sadly just the opposite in each category as well. I have seen homeschoolers who have been accepted to any Ivy League school they apply while I have also seen homeschoolers who can barely read or do math. You cannot stereotype this thing but it's society who pays in the long run for the lowering of standards.

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
They didn't really start passing and graduating students who haven't made the grade, instead they just made it so everyone makes the grade. The old sleight of hand trick.

YuP! Otherwise known as "The Dumbing Down of America".

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]