[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Does Amen Mean?  (Read 1461 times)

Roger Dodson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
What Does Amen Mean?
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Hi. I saw your article "what does Selah mean" passed around on facebook and it got such a warm welcome I thought I'd log into your forum to ask what Amen means. Thanks for your writing.

Reuben

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: What Does Amen Mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
Hi. I saw your article "what does Selah mean" passed around on facebook and it got such a warm welcome I thought I'd log into your forum to ask what Amen means. Thanks for your writing.

Hi and welcome Roger. Amen means so be it or sometimes truth.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
>>>
I thought I'd log into your forum to ask what Amen means.
<<<

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/amen.html

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Roger Dodson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:11:37 AM »
Oh, thanks. Like the Selah post, this was a really good and thorough explanation and I am so glad you shared it. At our church we say Amen alot and this really tells me all I need to know about what it means, and what it does not mean.

God Bless You

clark thompson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
amen is one of those words like halleluyah which is said by Christians who speak other languages.
the best form of worship is to be in the will of God

Cecil

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
AMEN
This word in both English and Greek is a transliteration from the Hebrew ’a•men′. The meaning is “so be it,” or “surely.” The Hebrew root word from which it is drawn (’a•man′) means “be faithful; be trustworthy.”
In the Hebrew Scriptures the word is used as a solemn expression to obligate oneself legally to an oath or covenant and its consequences (Nu 5:22; De 27:15-26; Ne 5:13), also as a solemn expression to subscribe to an expressed prayer (1Ch 16:36), to an expression of praise (Ne 8:6), or to an expressed purpose (1Ki 1:36; Jer 11:5). Each of the first four books, or collections, of the Psalms concludes with this expression, perhaps indicating that it was customary for the congregation of Israel to join in at the end of the song or psalm with an “Amen.”—Ps 41:13; 72:19; 89:52; 106:48.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
amen is one of those words like halleluyah which is said by Christians who speak other languages.

I don't think that is true, Amen has nothing to do with Christians speaking in other languages. It is used by Christians usually after prayer to show solemn expression in agreement withGod's truth For example.

Romans 16:20
"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

The amen affirms what is said is trustworthy or is suredly going to happen. That's why it's sometimes translated verily. In that instance it means truly, truly.  For example.

John 16:20
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy."

It affirms something is true, not that someone is speaking in different or other languages.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:18 AM »
 :iagree:
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Susan

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »
What is the meaning of Amen in the Bible?

Amen is commonly used after a prayer, creed, or other formal statement. It is spoken to express solemn ratification or agreement. It means “it is so” or “so it be.” Amen is derived from the Hebrew āmēn, which means “certainty,” “truth,” and “verily.”Jul 26, 2010

What does "amen" literally mean? Find out. | Dictionary.com

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]