[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why Does God Allow Evil and why is there Suffering?  (Read 9620 times)

Maurice

Re: Why Does God Allow Suffering?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »
Therefore, if we are able, we can see the brilliance of the divine plan of redemption. It does not seek to answer or solve the current predicament of all men --

john

That's all well and good, but why does God allow suffering? We've heard about redemption, we've heard about sin, we've heard about Arminians. What we haven't heard is why does God allow suffering? It must be a rather difficult question.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
We've heard about redemption, we've heard about sin, we've heard about Arminians. What we haven't heard is why does God allow suffering? It must be a rather difficult question.

It is not really a difficult question at all for faithful Christians. It is only a difficult question for those who do not believe in the sovereignty of God, hold to free will doctrines, and who want to define God by their own ideas about what it means to be a God of love.

Andreas  explained it, Tony explained it, John explained it, now I'll try a fourth time. So here it is. Get your pencil and write it down so you don't forget. God allows suffering because it is his purpose and sovereign right to do so. And who are you to argue with him about his righteousness in doing so? Suffering is a part of this life. Good Christians have told you time and time again, God doesn't have to take away suffering or have mercy in any way on anyone. By the same token, it is His divine right to have mercy on whomsoever  he will. Or NOT! There is your answer whether you like it or not.

Ro 9:14  What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

God will have mercy on one, and not on another, and he is completely righteous in doing so. To ask why does God allow suffering is to ask why doesn't God have mercy on everyone, heal everyone, take away the pain of everyone. That is in itself a foolish question, considering God plainly tells us he not only won't. But that there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. And he will be the one who will appoint it. It is not his will to end suffering on this earth, or judgment after. It is his will that the good news of a place where there is no suffering be preached.

So, maybe the reason you don't understand is that your god is not the god of the Bible, but an image you have created for yourself.

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
We've heard about redemption, we've heard about sin, we've heard about Arminians. What we haven't heard is why does God allow suffering?

What haven't you heard? You just quoted the main reasons yourself; even stating they were all well and good. They are not just well and good though, they are the primary reasons for suffering in this world. Again, as if it needs repeating: God allows suffering because it is the means that yields the end result that God desires. And that is:  the Redemption of His elect and the hardening in sin and rebellion of the unregenerate.

Perhaps what you are really asking is not why is there suffering but rather, "could God have reached the same end result through a different strategy?" 

The answer to that is a big 'No' - for the cost of redemption was the physical and spiritual death of His Son and the cost to the unregenerate is eternal damnation - nothing could be more serious an outcome, which infers there was no other means that a Holy God would or could utilize. For if there were some other means that would have allowed that "cup" to have passed and avoided this outcome it would have been done. But there was no other way to achieve the goals that God the Father wanted - it was the perfect means to a perfect end.

To keep asking "why?" when we know enough to understand that this was the means the Father designed from the get-go is really to say you think God's plan was a terrible mistake since it involves suffering and death, for which you find in your estimation to be unnecessary and wrong of God to do, and so you seek to put God on trial for failing to do things your way. Obviously to persist in that vein of thought implies that you hold a wrong opinion about God (and many if not most people do). The unspoken presumption here is that:  1) God is inferior to you, or to say it differently:   2) You are in some manner superior to God and are God's counselor   

Since neither option is true for you, or anybody, you should spend some time mulling it over and then realize that God knows what He is doing and does all things perfectly, and you do not.

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »

Reformation Sermons Audio MP3

God Meant It For Good

by Pastor Sam Adams

http://www.reformation.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=21210155072

Why Does God allow Suffering

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
Again, as if it needs repeating: God allows suffering because it is the means that yields the end result that God desires.

Amen! It seems so simple, and yet people write in ways seeking to complicate the issue. It is obviously God's will to allow suffering, else there would be no suffering. And all Christians know that God is perfect, so suffering is allowed for righteous, perfect reasons, that His will might be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Now what true Christian would deny that?

Job 2:10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

This is the difference between a humble spirit and a obstinate one. Don't ask why, know it is all done perfectly in God's plan of salvation.

But there was no other way to achieve the goals that God the Father wanted - it was the perfect means to a perfect end.

Amen! A perfect God would choose a perfect course for a perfect outcome. You can't beat perfection.

To keep asking "why?" when we know enough to understand that this was the means the Father designed from the get-go is really to say you think God's plan was a terrible mistake since it involves suffering and death, for which you find in your estimation to be unnecessary and wrong of God to do, and so you seek to put God on trial for failing to do things your way.

Your way! Those are the words that tell the whole story. Man wants to do things his way, and he doesn't like God's way. the word is rebellion or disobedience. Do they really think that they could have done a better job at creation than perfect God, that they can question his construction methods? Yes, they obviously think so.

LivingSoul

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
I always believe that if you illustrate things in a picture, then people might get to see it in a better light, as JESUS done with the parables. I believe the parables made it so that people could recognise who they were in the picture and that it brings things like conviction so, please allow me to put it like this.. (as basic as it might read, bear with me, I will make a point  :) ).

Think of the world as a particular class where the first two students had a great relationship with the Headteacher and didn't realise just how little they knew because of how simply he put things. They were innocent. However, an assistant teacher came into the class and informed the students of a book that would allow them to obtain the same knowledge as the main teacher, making them as the teachers of the class.. thus the students that entered that class since then were haughty because of that book which became a part of that class. (Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden).

The Headteacher wouldn't enter the class after that because the students believed themselves to know and have enough, so had no need for lessons; but for the sake of keeping the school open, and once again having that closeness with his students, the headteacher continued to bring in teachers to teach them. The last teacher he sent to the students was the one that all the teachers that taught before spoke of and said, "With this teacher, there will be no need for lesson after lesson because he comes with your degree in his hand, and the Headteacher gave him the authority to give it to you."

Well, the book of knowledge remained in the class and most decided to read it but a select few students wanted to have a personal relationship with their teacher and headteacher so they chose to sit at the front of the class and the ones at the back of the class continued to deny the teacher's authority.

The class, apart from the few have chosen to go their own haughty ways so the teacher decides that he will at least provide a way of graduation for those who don't believe themselves to be above a degree so that they can receive the gift of the degree, that will reconcile them with the headteacher on graduation. (Note that the last teacher has the authority to give the students the degree straight away, making the reconciliation immediately after they accept the teacher.)

So... Is it the Headteachers fault if within the class there is bullying and intimidation, and the rich students take lunch money from the poor students and beat them up?? The Headteacher isn't stupid, and neither is the last teacher, they know that once the students have their degrees, no one can take it away from them, even if another student hurts them, they still have their degree. Even more so, if they do not retaliate to bullying students who are influenced by the book, the bullies might see them as a witness, because they know after all that the harmony is so much better than the calamity...

JESUS said that not ONE will he lose!

Because of the sinful nature of man, this whole world has become sinful.
God neither delights in the evil things that happen, neither is he the author of anything evil.
However as people have previously and rightly stated, And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 .

GOD allows suffering because that is the way that the world has chosen. When asking this question you should consider that GOD also offers his Word as an encouragement to those who live in this world, saying that this world will pass away and we can, if we choose, have eternal life in a place that Jesus is preparing for us.

Also, even though the earth and everything that is in it belongs to GOD Psalm 24:1), dominion was given to man. (Genesis 1:28)
Therefore, anything that happens in this earth is a result of mankind and who their influence/motivation is.

Clearly, in the case of evil, the influence is not GOD and therefore is not GOD's fault. This is shown in Matthew 13:24-30 when it shows that the tares sowed among the wheat were sown by an enemy. Furthermore, the only reason the tares are not immediately rooted up is for the sake of the wheat which could end up being rooted up also. So the two were left to grow together.

I hope that this along with all the other answers together, will settle the question for you.  :)
For the Kingdom of GOD is not in word but in power.
1 Corinthians 4:20

Maurice

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:52 AM »
It is not really a difficult question at all for faithful Christians.

I wish you all would just stop saying that. If it was such an easy question, you wouldn't have Christian after Christian asking it, hundreds of articles explaining it, and theological papers written about it. So don't just write the question off as being easy to answer, it is not. And to say it is just means you have no grasp of its complexity.

Why did God allow the bombings in Boston? Why did God allow all those people to die in Texas explosion at that plant? These are all legitimate questions.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
I wish you all would just stop saying that. If it was such an easy question, you wouldn't have Christian after Christian asking it, hundreds of articles explaining it, and theological papers written about it. So don't just write the question off as being easy to answer, it is not. And to say it is just means you have no grasp of its complexity.

Why did God allow the bombings in Boston? Why did God allow all those people to die in Texas explosion at that plant? These are all legitimate questions.

You're right on both counts. These are legitimate questions, and they are not easy questions. I think I used the wrong language in effectively saying it's only difficult for unfaithful Christians. What I actually meant was that those who do not believe in the sovereignty of God, hold to free will doctrines, or those who want to define God by their own ideas about a God of love, by definition have to box God into the corner of not being able to stop suffering. Which is not true. God is able to stop suffering, but does not.

So if God can stop suffering, and yet doesn't, it must be for his own righteous purposes. That's accepting that we (Christians) all believe God to be righteous and just.

Here are some articles that might help some Christians in answering this "admittedly difficult" question.

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/sermons/getting_what_you_don't_deserve.shtml

None of which changes the fact that a All-Powerful and Sovereign God by definition "MUST" be able to stop suffering if he wanted to. As opposed to those theologians who claim he would like to, but can't.

Emily

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:00 AM »
Death is not Dying
By Rachel Barkey
1972 - 2009

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
 :GoodPopst: Emily,
  That was one of the best messages I've ever heard. I think she was a friend of Pastor Brian Mcphall also. That's what you call faith. The courage of Christ to face death not as dying, but to live. A saint that understands God has a purpose in everything. Wonderful message well worth listening to.
 &TY

Oneil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »
 :ditto:  Awesome Emily! Very Moving.

Cecil

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
If God does not cause suffering, why does he allow it? Because universal issues, moral ones, raised a long time ago still need to be settled. Let us look at just one of them.
At the beginning of human history, Adam and Eve sided with Satan. They rejected Godís rule and chose self-rule, which was really rule by the Devil.óGenesis 3:1-6; Revelation 12:9.
Godís sense of justice required that time be allowed for evidence to accumulate. What is the inescapable conclusion? Human rule under Satanís influence leads only to suffering. Really, in the long run, Godís allowance of time has been for manís benefit. How so? Those who study the evidence and believe it have the opportunity to demonstrate their willingness to be ruled by God. Those who learn of Godís standards and live by them have the prospect of living forever.óJohn 17:3; 1 John 2:17.
True, for now, Satan has the world in his evil grip. But not for much longer. Soon God will use his Son to ďbreak up the works of the Devil.Ē (1 John 3:8) Under Godís direction, Jesus will mend broken hearts and restore shattered lives. He will resurrect back to life on earth billions of humans who have suffered and died over the centuries.óJohn 11:25.
The resurrection of Jesus is an example of Godís victory over the works of the Devilóa token of what is to come for humans who choose Godís rule. (Acts 17:31) The Bible directs our thoughts to that time to come with these comforting words: ďGod himself will be with [mankind]. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.ĒóRevelation 21:3, 4.

Maurice

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
How was that a good message? A Woman talking about her impending death and her suffering is a good message? How?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
>>>
How was that a good message? A Woman talking about her impending death  and her suffering is a good message? How?
<<<

Yes, that was a good message.

"How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -WiseManSay

Acts 7:59-60
  • "And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
  • And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep."

Some people live well, and some people die well.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Margaret

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Why is there evil and suffering?
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 04:02:30 AM »
I was witnessing to a girl and she put forth to me a question which I couldn't answer adequately. The question was, if there is a God, why does he allow evil and suffering? I answered as best I could but I admit I didn't really have a good answer. Can anyone here help me with an answer of why God allows evil and suffering in the world. Thanks so much.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]