[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: How Important is Sharing the Gospel and being an Evangelist?  (Read 7996 times)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: How Important is Sharing the Gospel and being an Evangelist?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
>>>
It's not important at all to Reformed Christians, because in their doctrines, people are not saved by evangelism, they are Predestinated and will be saved regardless of if someone evangelizes.
<<<

Not true! But a typical misrepresentation. Faithfulness, to the truly Biblical/Reformed, "requires" evangelism as the means God uses to call sinners to repentance. However, I will agree with Paul T. Murphy who stated so honestly:

http://chalcedon.org/docs/counselpdf/1991_8%20Reformed%20Evangelism,%20A%20Challenge%20to%20Faithfulness.pdf

..when it comes to propagating the faith, the Reformed have failed miserably, and for this they should be rebuked.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

..when it comes to propagating the faith, the Reformed have failed miserably, and for this they should be rebuked.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"i acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

And God bless those with the faith to do it. I'm so sick of the apologists for Reformed errors. It's high time people stopped acting like "Reformed" means perfect!

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »
Not true! But a typical misrepresentation. Faithfulness, to the truly Biblical/Reformed, "requires" evangelism as the means God uses to call sinners to repentance. However, I will agree with Paul T. Murphy who stated so honestly:

http://chalcedon.org/docs/counselpdf/1991_8%20Reformed%20Evangelism,%20A%20Challenge%20to%20Faithfulness.pdf

Indeed! I would also recommend Tony's writing of what the Church of Ephesus leaving their first love actually means. Leaving the great commission of Evangelism, just as the Church has done today. Both good things for Christians to keep in mind as we take care of ourselves and forget about the work God has given to us to do.

JohnDunningUK

• In this world, but not of it!
    • Fight4TheFaith
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
It's not important at all to Reformed Christians, because in their doctrines, people are not saved by evangelism, they are Predestinated and will be saved regardless of if someone evangelizes.

Not sure if you're being deliberately sarcastic there or what, but that is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Since when does a Biblical view of the doctrine of predestination cancel out the command to proclaim the Gospel to all men, making disciples of all nations? It is the Bible that teaches us that God has predestined some to be saved before the foundation of the earth, and it is the same Bible that teaches us that it will be through the proclamation and believing of the Gospel that those predestinated shall be saved by faith, not of themselves but that which is a gift of God.
It's all about Him!

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

Not sure if you're being deliberately sarcastic there or what, but that is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Since when does a Biblical view of the doctrine of predestination cancel out the command to proclaim the Gospel to all men, making disciples of all nations?

Talk about your straw men. When did George or anyone else say that a Biblical view of the doctrine of predestination cancels out the command to proclaim the Gospel to all men? He never said that. We know a Biblical view of the doctrine of predestination doesn't cancel out the command to proclaim the Gospel to all men. But we question whether you hold the biblical view. Which is quite a different matter. What George said was, evangelism doesn't seem important at all to Reformed Christians, because in their doctrines, people are not saved by evangelism, they are Predestinated and will be saved regardless of if someone evangelizes. Let's try and tell the truth about what people say.

As for Reformed Evangelists, if what I\we are saying was untrue, why are Reformed authors themselves questioning the Reformed and their outlook on evangelism? Tony Himself agreed. Obviously, they also must think the Reformed are lax, lazy or not doing as they should regarding evangelism. That means unbiblical, does it not? Is not preaching to the nations unbiblical?

When I turn on my TV I see Robert Tilton evangelizing, Pat Robinson evangelizing, Kenneth Copeland evangelizing, Jimmy Swaggart evangelizing, Joel Osteen, Charles Stanley, John Hagee, Joyce Meyer, Benny Hinn, Pope Benedict XVI, Yusuf Estes, literally preachers from every religion and denomination except the Reformed. Why is that? Are you telling me the Reformed is the only denomination that can't afford to preach on TV? You don't even believe that yourself. It is because they don't put much stock or effort at all in evangelism, they remain entombed in the starched-collar traditions and writings of the past.

Now, you can debate if it is because the Reformed believe that all are predestinated and people will be saved regardless of what men do, but that is the belief. And you can't say that this type thinking doesn't effect people's outlook on evangelism. Why evangelize if you can't convince anyone to be saved?

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
When did George or anyone else say that a Biblical view of the doctrine of predestination cancels out the command to proclaim the Gospel to all men? He never said that.

... because in their doctrines, people are not saved by evangelism, they are Predestinated and will be saved regardless of if someone evangelizes

In other words, no one said that the Reformed fail to preach the gospel because in their view of the doctrine of predestination it would be unnecessary, and because no one said that you then say they don't preach the doctrine of predestination because they will be "saved regardless of if someone evangelizes", which of course is the charge you say no one has said.

Ignoring that tautology, the doctrine of predestination and the command to go forth and evangelize are complimentary and not in opposition. People are predestined (God's business) and people evangelize (man's business) - those that are saved are predestined to it and these must come to the knowledge of their need for a Savior through the means of evangelism. They go hand-in-hand.

You made the comparison of popular Arminian preachers on TV and radio to the apparently less vocal and less effective Reformed preachers. Well, it is true that the loudest and most visible group is the Arminian preachers - usually pentecostal, and they have been effective at spreading their message through TV, radio, internet, and door-to-door. So, have the Jehovah's Witnesses, at least door-to-door and Mormon's have grown rapidly through smart advertising and door-to-door sales.

Yes, all the blitz and glitter is on the other side.  But what are they selling that people are buying? I will tell you that it's not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They sell a lie and the people gobble it up. I applaud their devotion and sense of purpose - the true Gospel should be shared worldwide with the same vigor - and for this we can fault the Reformed Churches which should be doing more. The reason I believe they don't do more is partly due to demographics - the Reformed Churches are declining and the median age has risen. Many churches are full of old people - the young are flocking to the mega-churches. People want excitement and show-biz, the Reformed Churches often are just too boring - who wants to study the Bible and hear sermons, who wants to sing old hymns. The rock concert church down the street has the pulpits full - it's a dark nightclub atmosphere with a small cover charge called a tithe.

So, you have two diametrically opposed theologies with opposite values - one is hip and the other square. One is a lie and the other has the truth. There are hybrid Reformed churches that borrow from the playbook of the false-gospel churches - and yes, their sales do go up. But while you can fill a church with bodies doing this you don't necessarily get a church full of Christians - should the church lose the rock show, stop singing the so-called Christian rock tunes, take away the espresso machine and the theatrics- and the audience will disappear as fast as it appeared.

Now, behind the scenes, the motivation for the Arminian to evangelize is not the same as the Reformed. The Arminian believes in freewill sinners who can be cajoled and manipulated to say the magic incantation, walk the alter, make a decision, accept this or that - and presto, a new Christian (and a new church member). Charley Finney popularized the easy-believism and psychological manipulation tactics used by Arminian churches today. They work to get people to fill the pews but it doesn't work to make sinners into Christians, because it is not the gospel.

While the false-gospel churches are growing many of the Reformed churches are fading away, especially those that lack effective pastors. There are some that are gaining membership, and this bump may be due in-part to the influx of people leaving the increasingly unfaithful churches. But fundamentally, the Reformed Churches believe the gospel message must be faithfully delivered and shouting at people walking by on a street corner is not considered God glorifying. The one area I think the Reformed Churches could do more is through ministries that intersect with people where they are: on college campuses, in the inner-city, a food-banks, shelters, drug-rehab centers, half-way houses, pregnancy crisis centers, prisons and jails, and anywhere people congregate.

Most people are timid to talk to a stranger about Christ - it is even harder when the message is less pleasant. While a college student will endure a few minutes with an Arminian telling him/her that "God loves you and has a special plan for your life if you just let him in", it is another to say truthfully that the wrath of God abides upon the sinner and unless they repent and obey God's commandments they will be cast into hell on the last day.  Well, that isn't necessarily the best approach but the point is that the TRUTH is much less palatable than a lie.

To be an Armininan evangelist requires no knowledge of the Bible - a few verses would suffice. God loves you .... you want to be happy, so "accept" Christ and all will be well. All your problems will disappear when you do - you might even get healthy, wealthy, and special powers, everyone wants special powers don't they. God loves you just as you are so continue to smoke, drink and party ... but you should attend a 'spirit-filled' life-center.

But the Reformed Biblical message is different: You will keep all your problems but God will provide and strengthen you through your hardship. No special powers - you will likely be hated and scorned. You don't get to keep your vices - you have to stop sleeping around, no more lawbreaking - your desire should be to study, study, and study the Bible. What? Who wants any of this thank you very much ... but of course it is only for the hearts that God has prepared - which is why the true gospel is universally hated.

Lastly, while the Arminian churches are hotbeds for unbelievers feigning to be Christians, the same is true for Reformed Churches, to a lesser degree.  There are plenty on non-Christians filling the pews in Reformed Churches, and plenty of pastors and elders that are play-acting the part. Amongst the still faithful churches, which are few and far between, the individual Christians are still witnessing to their neighbors and friends - the message is still being proclaimed, just not as obvious. The Reformed Churches have their internet sites, their radio personalities preaching to those who will listen. But the big money is on the other side - Satan has the bucks to buy air time.

I would not expect the true gospel to grow more evident, but rather to continue its slow fade. For this is not the time for revival but rather the extinguishing of the truth. While the Arminian's are cheering their growth and await Christ to rule from Jerusalem for a thousand years, the faithful Christians are watching the churches fall and await the return of Christ and the end of the world and Judgment Day.

There are factors at play besides predestination stifling evangelism, which may enter in for those who don't know doctrine. The Biblical message, evangelistic method, and purpose behind evangelism are very different between what Satan offers and what Christ commands, as is the reaction from the unregenerate to it. But ultimately God has not called you to fret over the churches but rather do the work He has commanded each believer. So, while the other guy isn't evangelizing and the other guy isn't involved with people - the question is: am I, and are you?

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Melanie

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »

I guess the question really is, "what is Evangelism," because it seems different things to different people.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »

I guess the question really is, "what is Evangelism," because it seems different things to different people.

Strange a Christian should ask that question. :(

An evangelist is one who spreads the gospel of Jesus Christ. Duh!

Melanie

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 07:30:27 PM »

Strange a Christian should ask that question. :(

An evangelist is one who spreads the gospel of Jesus Christ. Duh!

And you think not all should do this? Or do you think the Reformed think that?  In both instances, you would be wrong.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]