[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Will we be Husband and Wife in Heaven  (Read 4832 times)

Shirley

• The Spirit of Christ
Will we be Husband and Wife in Heaven
« on: September 14, 2003, 07:05:31 AM »
What does teh bible say about the husband and wife being reunited in Heaven? The Preacher tells me that we will all be with out spouses in heaven as husband and wife. I am trying to find if that is true, or some scripture that speaks about whether husband and wife will be reunited in heaven as husband and wife. And in conjunction with that, will it be that we will be able to recognize any one once we are there?  Or is it that we are only married in this world?

The scripture and our vows say, "untill death do us part", but does that mean that we will only be able to have our husbands in this world? If anyone can  give some biblical information that ties directly back to scripture, it will be most appreciated.

judykanova

• Gold Member
Re: Will we be Husband and Wife in Heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 08:35:47 AM »
Shirley,

This passage answers your question.

Matt 22:24-30

24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

When  a believer dies, their soul goes to heaven.  It is only on the last day that they are given a brand new resurrected body which will in be infinitely more glorious than our present corrupt bodies.

1 Cor 15:49-53

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Moreover, God in His mercy will erase former  things/people from our minds.  

Rev 21:1-4

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

As there is nothing comparable in this world or in our experience, our  minds aren't capable of fully understanding just how wonderful this will be.  
Our earthly relationships don't even come close, although a godly and loving marriage gives us some small inkling,  for in heaven, the elect of God will be the bride of Christ.

Rev 21:9-27

9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. ...
18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; ....
21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. ...
27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Makes you marvel and ask as Paul did in all humility,  - 'What is man, that thou art mindful of him?'

Don't  be dependent upon your pastor to teach you.  Invest in some biblical study tools including a Strong's Concordance.  PC software can also be a timesaver when you're responding to posts, as you can more easily find and cut/paste desired passages.  But most of all, read your Bible.

God Bless,

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Rebel

• Do I dare disturb the universe?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 08:36:16 AM »
Hello  Shirley,

There  is  a  passage  in  scripture  that  addresses  this.
Luke  20:27-36
     Luk 20:27  Then came to [him] certain of the Sadducees, which deny that there is any resurrection; and they asked him,
Luk 20:28  Saying, Master, Moses wrote unto us, If any man's brother die, having a wife, and he die without children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
Luk 20:29  There were therefore seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and died without children.
Luk 20:30  And the second took her to wife, and he died childless.
Luk 20:31  And the third took her; and in like manner the seven also: and they left no children, and died.
Luk 20:32  Last of all the woman died also.
Luk 20:33  Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife.
Luk 20:34  And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
Luk 20:35  But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
Luk 20:36  Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

You  can  find  this  repeated  in  Mark  12:18.  I  think  the  scripture  speaks  pretty  clearly  all  by  itself.

Grace  be  with  you,
                                      Rebel  <><
Until  you  find  something  worth  dying  for,  you're  not  really  living.

"Deo  Valente"

sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 07:48:03 PM »
Hi Shirley,

The answers given by both Judy and Rebel, along with corresponding Scripture has pretty well covered this from the Bible's perspective.  

I will just briefly respond with one additional thought.  Imagine for a moment that your Pastor is right, and we will know, and be known by those whom we have spent our earthly lives with.  Can you imagine the anguish one would feel in discovering that a beloved spouse/child/mother/father is absent from heaven?  How could heaven be described as eternal bliss, joy, and happiness, with no more sorrow if this were the case?

Just something to think about.

Sandy

jd@

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 12:27:31 AM »
Can you imagine the anguish one would feel in discovering that a beloved spouse/child/mother/father is absent from heaven?  How could heaven be described as eternal bliss, joy, and happiness, with no more sorrow if this were the case?

This really bothers me.  If this argument is valid, sandy, then in heaven we would have no awareness or even recollection of people in Hell.  Is that biblical?

Oneil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 09:13:14 AM »
Jesus' statement on the subject can be found in Matthew chapter 22, and also in Paul's to some degree in Romans chapter 7.

Both these passages illustrate that marriage is only for this earth, as we are married to Christ. There is no male or female in heaven, how then can there be marriage or giving in marriage? The legal binding of the marriage is valid only until one partner dies. That's how i see it.

Oneil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 09:14:43 AM »
Can you imagine the anguish one would feel in discovering that a beloved spouse/child/mother/father is absent from heaven?  How could heaven be described as eternal bliss, joy, and happiness, with no more sorrow if this were the case?

This really bothers me.  If this argument is valid, sandy, then in heaven we would have no awareness or even recollection of people in Hell.  Is that biblical?

Yes, since we will see no sorrow, pain or mourning in heaven, we cannot see our loved ones be tormented in Hell.

(Isa 65:17 KJV)  "For  behold  I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered  nor come into mind."

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 12:59:21 PM »
What does the bible say about the husband and wife being reunited in Heaven? The Preacher tells me that we will all be with out spouses in heaven as husband and wife. I am trying to find if that is true, or some scripture that speaks about whether husband and wife will be reunited in heaven as husband and wife.

Mark 12:18-25
  • "Then come unto him the Sadducees, which say there is no resurrection; and they asked him, saying,
  • Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
  • Now there were seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and dying left no seed.
  • And the second took her, and died, neither left he any seed: and the third likewise.
  • And the seven had her, and left no seed: last of all the woman died also.
  • In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife.
  • And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
  • For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven."

Jesus in answering the Sadducees about the resurrection of heaven explains that there will be no physical marriages, and consequently, no physical unions in the kingdom of heaven. i.e., as Christ said, she won't be anyone's wife! She will be as the Messengers of God, neither being married, nor given in marriage. This answer clearly illustrates that there will be a totally different relationship between men and women in heaven. We need a help meet on this earth, in Heaven, there will be no such need.

We should try to understand that without this robe of "flesh" to distinguish us, we are spirit beings or souls. We will all be simply as fellow servants (there is neither male nor female) that we will know each other, but will not have a physical relationship, or male/female bodies like we did on earth in the flesh. we will be a "changed" Spiritual being.

1st Corinthians 15:50
  • "Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
  • Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
  • In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

We will not have fleshly bodies as we do now, but glorified bodies, spiritual bodies, because we will be spiritual beings, incorruptible. Spiritual not Carnal. We will not be flesh where we would need to be male and female to procreate or have a lust for physical contact. We have no such need in the Kingdom, and so neither marry, nor are given in marriage.

There will be recognition to be sure, but not longing, lust, or carnal desires for procreation purposes as we needed upon earth. We will be changed, and we will be souls with a different body suited not for this world, but the world to come. Then we will have truly overcome all, and understand the full meaning of Christ being greater than he that is in the world.

1st John 4:4
  • "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Shirley

• The Spirit of Christ
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 02:57:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Melanie

• Psalms 52:8
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:45 AM »

Does that mean we will know our brothers and sisters (family) as well?

Puritan Heart

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »

Does that mean we will know our brothers and sisters (family) as well?

Hello Melanie,
Paul writes to those in Thessalonica in 1 Thessalonians 2 v 19 - For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
20 - For ye are our glory and joy.

It is clear that he is speaking here to believers, yes?  Therefore, we will indeed recognize our family members, on the condition that they too are of the Elect Body of Christ.  I am of the understanding that so great will be our Joy in that final moment of spiritual consummation (for want of better wording) that our absolute awe and wonder will be firstly, the knowledge that we are finally in the presence of Him whom our souls have yearned for in this life!

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Puritan Heart

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:41:30 AM »
Tony, this is a question to yourself or anyone else who might be able to assist me:

Firstly, I do thank you for your explanation.  It is sound indeed, however, when reading the following scripture, I am not quite certain as to how to interpret the latter part, I have put in bold lettering.

Job 19 v 25 - For I know [that] my redeemer liveth, and [that] he shall stand at the latter [day] upon the earth:
26 - And [though] after my skin [worms] destroy this [body], yet in my flesh shall I see God:

You mention that ''we will not be flesh''.  Whilst I fully understand that we would not have need for reproducing, and for that matter, all things carnal pertaining to our daily lives in this life, the above scripture still seems to clearly indicate that indeed, we will still be flesh.

Please help me to better understand this.

Thank you,
Alexandra

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »
>>>
Tony, this is a question to yourself or anyone else who might be able to assist me: when reading the following scripture, I am not quite certain as to how to interpret the latter part, I have put in bold lettering.

Job 19 v 25 - For I know [that] my redeemer liveth, and [that] he shall stand at the latter [day] upon the earth:
26 - And [though] after my skin [worms] destroy this [body], yet in my flesh shall I see God:
<<<

Hi Alexandra,
   My belief is that it is a well oiled myth that carnal bodies will be reconstituted at the last day, because it doesn't stand the test of scripture. Job is not in the grave, in his flesh, he's living and reigning with Christ in heaven. It would be a travesty for him to leave heaven to put on corruptible flesh again. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2nd Corinthians 5:8 ). The 24 elders, representing Old and New Testament Saints, reign in heaven with Christ now!

The flesh Job speaks of is not that of his body, as he himself declares that his skin will be destroyed. Moreover, earthly flesh is not going to be reconstituted because this body is of corruption and cannot enter the kingdom. Job is not going to put on corruption to see God. But our new "body" will be as different from this flesh/skin as night is to day. It is a spiritual body, incorruptible, and not the corruptible skin Job declared will have been destroyed when he sees God.

1st Corinthians 15:50
  • "Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption."

This body, this flesh will be destroyed in the grave, even as Job declared. Yet in the flesh [basar], that is to say, in his person, he shall see God. His skin will be destroyed, but in his body/person he himself will see God. The Hebrew word translated flesh, by extension can mean self, body or person. Since Job is declaring his skin (flesh) will be destroyed, he is not then declaring that "in it" he will see God. But "yet" in his person he will see God.

1st Corinthians 15:52
  • "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

Clearly, no dead will be raised with corruptible flesh. No living will remain in corruptible flesh. The dead are raised in an incorruptible body and the living changed instantly into their incorruptible bodies.

Exodus 33:20
  • "And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live."

Job is not going to "see" God in his flesh as a man, but in his spiritual body/person, changed into that which is incorruptible.

Job 19:27
  • "Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me."

Though his skin and bones will have decayed and turned to dust, yet he will see God. He will see with spiritual eyes, not eyes that have long since rotted away in the grave. Hope that helps.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
It helps, Tony.  Thank you.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Puritan Heart

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »
Hello Tony,
I sincerely thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. It does indeed help much!

I have however discovered that this word ''basar'' you mentioned, ''Yet in the flesh [basar], that is to say, in his person, he shall see God.''end quote -is mentioned numerous times in the Old Testament, but seemingly not even once in the New!  This I find most interesting, and thus, my study just continues. 

Thank you   :)

Alexandra

PS:  Should you know of any good commentary on the Book of Job, please do let me know.  Tack så mycket.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]