[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why does it say “But go, tell His disciples and Peter”  (Read 2932 times)

billnjune

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
Why does it say “But go, tell His disciples and Peter”
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Mark 16:5-7  And entering the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a long white robe sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed.  (6)  But he said to them, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him.  (7)  But go, tell His disciples and Peter--that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you."

Why does it say “But go, tell His disciples and Peter” since Peter was a disciple?
Do you suppose that Peter lost some creditably because he denied Christ a few days earlier?
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

midas

Re: Why does it say “But go, tell His disciples and Peter”
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
I would say Jesus said "and Peter"  to show he still accepted, loved and forgave Peter even though Peter turned against him ... And I think Jesus is telling all of us there is hope and forgiveness no matter what we may have done ...

billnjune

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
Midas,

Thanks for the response.

I never noticed that before yesterday

Melanie

• Psalms 52:8

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
Excellent. "Go and tell My disciples, and Peter"--don't let Peter think that he is an outcast.
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Rick Reeves

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:14 AM »
...AND PETER! (OR YOU)

Scripture Reading: Mark 16:1-7...

In this last chapter of the Gospel of Mark we are told that early in the morning of the first day of the week, several women came to the tomb where Jesus had been buried; & they brought spices to anoint Him.

But there were met by an Angel who said; "Don't be alarmed...you're looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified..He is not here--He has been raised...But go, tell His disciples and Peter."

You know, its those last 2 words that'll make tears come to your eyes, whether you want them to or not: "And Peter." (Go tell all of them, "And Peter")

Why didn't the Lord single out John, the beloved disciple or Thomas? Why didn't He give special attention to the doubter?

Why did He single out Peter from all the others? Because Peter was guilty of a sin that was so serious that he PROBABLY wondered if he was even in good standing with the Lord.

Peter had denied Christ! And Jesus Himself had solemnly warned His disciples; "Whosoever shall deny Me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in Heaven."

Suppose YOU had been Peter? How would you have felt if you had denied the Lord? (Like Peter had). Don't you just know that you would have had thoughts something like these?

"I've actually committed this awful sin. I, Peter, who was with the Lord on the Mount of Transfiguration. I, Peter, who was with the Lord in the garden of Gethsemane; I, Peter, who was so close to Him have denied Him & now, I'm done for....

"And to think the Lord warned me, but I didn't believe Him. I just didn't' believe that I could ever do such a thing as that..."

"But I did, not just one time, or two times, but three times & even after I had argued that I could never forsake Him & would even lay down my life for Him."

"After all we went through together, & as close as we were, I, Peter, denied Him, even to a servant girl....Even after I had confessed Him to be the Christ, the Son of the Living God; after all that; I have denied Him...."

"And He knew that I had denied Him; I can't get it out of my mind how He turned & looked at me, there in the judgement hall..."

And I have cried & wept & cried until there's nothing left to cry. And still, tears can't undo that sin..."

"I, Peter, have denied the Lord." Don't you know, Peter's mind must have been whirling as he remembered the gruesome events of the past day or two.

But wouldn't yours, if it had been you? Don't we feel like we would have gone crazy, if it had been us?

Maybe he, Peter got some consolation from the memory of the events that took place before that nightmare; but still he had denied the Lord.

Could he ever forget? No, sir; NEVER. Peter could never forget.

But the risen Lord, with 2 little words, could do away with all his fears & heartbreak & regret. Peter had sinned; sure he had, but the Lord had sent him a message, a special message to let him know that Peter was still His & that Peter was still the object of His tender love.

"Go tell his disciples, AND PETER, he goeth before you into Galilee: There shall ye see Him."

The disciples were going to see the Lord & Peter was going with them. Peter was going to look into the face of the one he had denied.

That short, simple message from the Lord changed the whole outlook for Peter. There would be no strings attached, Nothing to blur his vision. That message told Peter that the great yawning gulf between him & his Lord had been bridged by love.

Mark is the only writer of the 4 Gospels who records the words; "and Peter". And rightly so I think. Mark was closely associated with Peter; In fact, so closely that some scholars think he was Peter's secretary. Mark had learned a lot from Peter about the Lord & its very likely it was from His lips that he heard these words, for they must have been indelibly written in Peter's heart.

People, you want a special blessing this Easter Sunday? Then take your pencil & just under Peter's name in that 7th verse, write your name. (I have already done it in My Bible).

Let me ask you when you come into God's House and you open your heart up to Him, does the memory of your past shortcomings just seem to sweep over you?

You have confessed your sins; You've wept those tears of repentance; You have truly repented. But doesn't it seem like, sometimes, that there's an awful sense of distance between you & your Lord? And sometimes we feel like we're just overwhelmed by those past denials.

Friends, we do like Peter so many times, "deny our Lord." "I" do, and oh, the shame, the guilt, the darkness when "I" get outside the circle of His Love.

But this whole message this morning boils down to this. When you get out of the circle, when you find that gulf between you & the Lord, don't try to bridge the gap yourself, leave that to Him, whose love could reach out to Peter & draw him out of the cold climate of his sin-consciousness into the warmth of His love & the glory of His fellowship.

You know, Peter might have stayed out there in the darkness crying bitterly "If" the Lord hadn't sent that special message of love: "Go tell my disciples, AND PETER."

And there's no need of YOU staying out there, either. Christ doesn't want you out there. And he's still sending the message: "Go tell my disciples & Peter & Al & Jane & Bob & Sue & Jim..." He's still sending that message to you.

And you know something, this little piece of information about Peter has been recorded in God's Bible & preserved for You who are "conscious of your sin" like Peter was.

But the message of Easter is, our Lord doesn't want your lack of love, or your past sins to Keep you away from Him.

He died that horrible death of crucifixion in order that YOU might be forgiven of those very sins.

"Go tell my disciples & Him & Her, I live & because I live, Ye may live also."

Rev. Al

Puritan Heart

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »
Quote: ''But this whole message this morning boils down to this. When you get out of the circle, when you find that gulf between you & the Lord, don't try to bridge the gap yourself, leave that to Him, whose love could reach out to Peter & draw him out of the cold climate of his sin-consciousness into the warmth of His love & the glory of His fellowship.'' end quote: Rick Reeves

Hello Rick, with reference to the above mentioned quote by yourself, might I ask what you mean by those words I highlighted: ''when you get out of the circle....'' end quote.  Circle of what?

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Rick Reeves

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:39:44 AM »
Hi,
  This is an article by Rev Al, not myself. But I'm assuming from reading it that he means that "getting outside the circle of His Love" is like when we act in a way that is not God glorifying, or are not as faithful as we should be, or have that moment of weakness, etc. That we don't try to bridge the gap ourselves, but lay our burdens down at the foot of the cross and know we have forgiveness. Like Peter, whom Christ specifically singled out to let him know that all is forgiven. That's what I took from it. Do you think it means something else?

Puritan Heart

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Hello Rick,
I believe I understood what he was saying, but there are certain words, certain language that oft times creep in that causes me to read with very critical understanding... eg: his use of the word 'circle' which is a word bandied about by ecumenicals and not of less significance, the New Agers and their 'circle of love!'

I hope I am wrong here.

Alexandra

Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!

billnjune

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
With this subject in mind, during my daily readings, I have found some similar verses, which cause me to stop and think:

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Acts 5:29  But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: "We ought to obey God rather than men.

Here again, it seems that Peter is being singled out from the apostles.  These two verses along with Mark 16:7, make me wonder if maybe I have missed something.  Any thoughts would be welcome.

Bill

Peng Bao

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

I think everyone has already made it clear what they believe about this. The emphasis was on Peter because of his weakness. In him, we can see ourselves and Christ is demonstrating through him that his grace is sufficient. That Peter is still Christ's apostle and his sins of weakness of the flesh haven't changed that one bit.

billnjune

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
I was reading some articles and found this one about "Disciples and Peter" which is very good and right to the subject.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/other_studies/his_disciples_and_peter.shtml

Jason

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
But doesn't the separation of Peter from the Disciples single him out as apart from them?

billnjune

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
I would say Jesus said "and Peter"  to show he still accepted, loved and forgave Peter even though Peter turned against him ... And I think Jesus is telling all of us there is hope and forgiveness no matter what we may have done ...

As I was reading through the earlier post, I noticed that the link that I posted was a repeat from an earlier post.  Oops!  Sorry bout that.

Jason, I think that Midas as answered your question very well. I couldn't have said it better.

Bill

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]