[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Don't all Good peopole go to Heaven?  (Read 2803 times)

Jason

Don't all Good peopole go to Heaven?
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:16:52 AM »
I had this question asked of me last week and I really didn't know how to answer it. The question was, don't all good people go to heaven?  And isn't it arrogant to claim Jesus is the only way to heaven, as Christians claim? Anyone know how to address this question?

judykanova

• Gold Member
Re: Don't all Good peopole go to Heaven?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »
I had this question asked of me last week and I really didn't know how to answer it. The question was, don't all good people go to heaven?  And isn't it arrogant to claim Jesus is the only way to heaven, as Christians claim? Anyone know how to address this question?

“Good” is a relative term.  The question should be … who among us is sinless?  The answer is none outside of Christ. 

When it comes to biblical truths, the standards we establish and measure ourselves against must be God’s standards and measures, not man’s.  God’s standards/measures/laws are absolute.  It is impossible for man to meet those requirements perfectly – thus our need for a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ -- our Kinsman Redeemer.

There is no salvation outside of Christ.  It is only through Christ that we can be cleansed of sin in our spirit/soul essence, and it is only in this sense that any can claim to be “good”  --  sinless.  The credit is due to Christ’s shed blood, death and victorious resurrection, and not due to anything we have done.

Isaiah 53:6
  "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

I don’t concern myself with who God may or may not choose to save, for He says “I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy”.  I only know that we are all conceived in sin, and sin is our nature.  It  is only because of God’s great mercy and  love that any are saved

John 3:16
  "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Ephesians 2
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5  Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7  That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

I hope this helps answer your question.

What is amazing to me is that God has a salvation plan for fallen man, but not for fallen angels.  So one question I would like answered some day if God so chooses is “What is man that thou art mindful of him?”

Heb 2:6.
6  But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
7  Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8  Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10  For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Jason

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Hi Judy,
  Thank you for answering my question about what we perceive as good people. I guess you're right, when you look at it that way, we all are not good. Do you think God's standards mean that there will be very few in heaven?

But I was also wondering about the second part of the question, where they ask if it isn't arrogant for Christians of all religions to claim Jesus is the only way to heaven?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
   Jason, It's very popular for some Christians to think that only good people go to heaven.  But Judy explained, there are problems with that concept. Everybody thinks that they are good "compared to someone". If only good people could get to heaven, how could we ever be assured of our eternal destiny? We couldn't be, because good is not good enough. Only in Christ can one be good enough. And that answers your second question also. Christ is the only one who can make us good enough, because He alone takes away all our sins.

2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

It's not arrogant of Christians, it's God's word. Only in Christ can man be made righteous. It is not arrogant, nor is it what we think or suppose, it is what God says.

Ac 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Because there is none other who satisfies the sin question. The question of how do we pay for our sins if the wages or payment for sin is death.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »
Hi Judy,
  Thank you for answering my question about what we perceive as good people--But I was also wondering about the second part of the question, where they ask if it isn't arrogant for Christians of all religions to claim Jesus is the only way to heaven?

Maybe you should ask them, "Since when is speaking the truth about salvation arrogant?" I'm pretty sure nearly all, if not all, of any religion thinks that they are speaking the truth. So does that make them arrogant because they believe they are correct and we are wrong? Or does this charge of arrogance only apply to Christians?

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me".

I think that you should make it clear that it is not you or other Christians that are saying Christ is the only way, Christ himself said it. That's what you should make sure they understand. So either he was a fraud, or he is the only way. We have his life, death and resurrection to attest to the fact that He is the only sin bearer, what do other religions have to atone for sin?

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »

As usual Judy, Reformer and RB, thanks for your outstanding and always biblical commentary on the issues. Because even one little sin separates us from God so that we are all tainted and need Christ as savior. Christ taught us that no one is good enough on his own to get into the Kingdom. if we were, we wouldn't need a Savior in the first place.

Psalms 14:2-3
 "The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one".

That means even those who we might look at and think they are good people, were not good people in God's sight. And that is why Christ came, to deliver us who were not good, that we might be made righteous in Christ.

As for arrogant, I read a helpful analogy online a few weeks ago. It said that the gospel can be compared to a famine in the land that is killing everyone, and one beggar tells another beggar where a man is he found that was handing out bread. There is nothing arrogant about trying to tell someone the only way that he can find the bread to live when there is no other way.

Sounds good to me.

Rich Aikers

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:57:27 AM »
There is nothing arrogant about trying to tell someone the only way that he can find the bread to live when there is no other way.

Sounds good to me.

Amen Sister!

Peng Bao

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
I think that all major world religions have exclusive elements, so it is really unfair to single out Christians and claim that they are unique in believing their way is the one way to God.

Stan Pat

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 01:00:48 AM »
There is a belief, even among some who label themselves Christians, that everyone goes to heaven. But  the truth is that Christ warned us at length that there is not only judgment but  eternal consequences of sin. I think what we see in the Church today is that people don't want to offend anyone with Christ's warnings. And so they don't speak of judgment, ever. They speak of God's love for all people and all religions have good people and the father's love is unconditional to all. But that is not true. Only one religion brings God's love to all, and that is the Christian religion.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2082.0

If other religions are offended by that, this doesn't mean we should stop preaching that. Because only in Christ does God see Jesus’ perfection when He looks at us. And no other religion provides that righteousness for man's sin. That's not arrogant, that's gospel.The many religions that believe in A God is a lot different from the Christian Religion that has faith in Christ to bring them to God.

James 2:19
 "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

After all, the bible tells us, even the Devils believe believe and tremble.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]