[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Watching Vampire Movies A Sin?  (Read 12505 times)

George

• I'm a llama!
Re: Is Watching Vampire Movies A Sin?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 04:02:08 AM »
I believe it is fine to watch movies like ET or Star Wars, but not movies like twilight, Friday the 13th or the Da Vinci  Code.

Gilda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
I muust say that I was really disturbed by some of the images that they showed in New Moon. This movie is complete darkness, and I regret sitting there watching it. Remember what the word of God says in Philippians: 'Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things [are] honest, whatever things [are] just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think on these things.'

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
I have not seen this film, have no desire to be entertained by such worldly ilk, and never will. Because I feel it is to grieve the Holy Spirit. Personally, I do not understand how so many can rationalize and call such evil, good?

Does it make any difference to any of you that the author, Stephanie Meyer, received this entire series as a dream? She claims that she also has the voices of Edward and Bella ringing through her head so much that she almost couldn't sleep at all.

Moreover, she believes that Edward appeared to her after the first book and told her that she had portrayed him incorrectly. Is this what Christianity has come to, that we get our entertainment from this?

Sportsnut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
 I'm not so sure that this is as bad as some make it out to be. I mean after all, it's only a movie. Perhaps we can take these things too far. If it is not clearly committing sin, we should have an open mind on this issue. This might fall under the category of Christian liberty. It might be a sin for one, but not for another.

Romans 14:23
  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Brian

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 01:58:27 AM »

I think I'm on Sportsnut's side on this. It does seem we're being a little too picky on this issue. I don't really see anything wrong with watching a good sci-fi movie. At least I haven't read anyone give scripture that would convince me otherwise. But I'm open to hearing any passages.

Granny

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »
Maybe,
  But I believe that the scriptures teach that the real problem lies in how what we are watching affects our heart. Are we living vicariously through what we see, sinning as it were with the excuse "it's not me?" That's the real danger. I think that if the movie or TV show or programs that we watch brings a feeling of power, lust, anger, or fills us with a wanting of vengeance, then we have sinned. And if our eyes offend, we are to cut it out, or simply take that temptation away from ourselves.

Matthew 5
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
 23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
 24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
 25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
 26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
 27  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
 29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
 30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

I understand we have this natural urge to watch these shows, and I'm guilty of it too. So I'm not being hypocritical, I'm just saying that it's not altogether pure. That much I know.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]