[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Watching Vampire Movies A Sin?  (Read 12506 times)

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Is Watching Vampire Movies A Sin?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
Laura,
  In those vampire movies and books themselves, they usually say they are cursed. They said it plainly in the movie twilight (which I unfortunately saw). And yet I am surprised to find that many Christians are romanticizing this movie as just clean fun for teens. And praising its clean (no sex) model. Since when is being the cursed children of the night clean fun for Christians? Is the Church being more open minded or are our standards being lowered.

Reggie Matthews

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Laura,
  In those vampire movies and books themselves, they usually say they are cursed. They said it plainly in the movie twilight (which I unfortunately saw). And yet I am surprised to find that many Christians are romanticizing this movie as just clean fun for teens. And praising its clean (no sex) model. Since when is being the cursed children of the night clean fun for Christians? Is the Church being more open minded or are our standards being lowered.

I agree, the whole thing is dark. And the girl Bella in twilight also said she was willing to give up her eternal soul to have immortality with that vampire. Like you, I can't help but wonder how this would be something good Christians should want their children to go see as not sinful? It basically teaches that it is a good thing for a girl to give up anything, and do anything, including selling her mortal soul for infatuation. I find that somewhat disturbing. Should we allow moves and TV to teach our children their morals? Isn't that what shows like MTV is doing to teens today? It's a slippery slope.

"Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?" -Ecclesiastes 8:4

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
Yes, it is a sin. I can answer that as surely as I can answer, "is watching Debbie does Dallas sinful". Of course it is. It is a sin because these modern movies glorify and romanticize the lusts and evil lifestyles. There are even groups of young people now calling themselves Vampires, some going so far as to drink blood. Moreover, the Twilight movies are not virtuous in any fashion, despite what is being said on some Christian blogs. The people who are so enamoured with this series sin because they are really living vicariously through these people. Their heart is not right with God that they would recognize the worldliness for what it is.

Ps 78:7 That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:
 8 And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.

If a Christian's heart is not set on God, his desires will be set in the things of the world like vampire movies, fornication and killing movies. And if his spirit is not right with God, rather than desire to do the will of God, then he will make excuses for watching sinful things.

Night stalkers who can't stand the light because they are dead and who crave the blood of others is by definition, sinful. Think there is no irony there that Christians would think this type play is just clean fun for Christian young people? At least when we were growing up, we knew Vampires were bad. Now the line has been blurreed between them actually being good and them being evil, just like it has in the Church. How ironic.

I remember many years ago when I first saw the movie "Diary of a Vampire" or something like that starring Tom Cruise. I was excited, disgusted and appalled by it. I knew right then and there that it was a sin. Not a sin to me personally where another might have Christian liberty to enjoy it as fun, but a sin to anyone. But now Christians have become so desensitized to sin, their conscience is seared. Every Christian's conscience should be in step with the word of God that it should make it clear to him what is going on in their heart watching such Satanic fables.

The Twilight movies may be different from that movie, I don't know, but I doubt it. A vampire movie by definition is a vampire movie. Namely, the living dead who can only live at Night in darkness, live for eternity and who drink the blood of others, usually killing them or turning them into an evil CURSED spawn like themselves. Why can't people understand that what we watch is imprinted upon our subconscious like a projector on a screen?

Mt 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

But if we watch Christ, keep our eyes on Him, He will guide our steps and we can avoid all the pits and snare that other Christians are walking into.

It was said before, the reason Christians don't want to admit that something is ultimately a sin, is because like everything else, they don't want to give that sin up. The same reason why they won't admit smoking is a sin, cussing, hatred, greed, a string bikini, their lust, tattooing, using the Lord's name in vain, worldliness or being Roman Catholic. Nevertheless, it is sin. Not just to those (like me) who think it is, but to everyone.

I think I've made my views on this very clear.      ;)

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 04:23:10 AM »
It may be a movie that does not involve sexual immorality (I don't know) but it certainly involves other sinful things. And worst of all it highlights one of the big problems in Christian society. Which is that by not ever saying something is wrong, we are teaching young people that to be interested in Vampires, Werewolves, sorcery and other evil things of the occult, is just fine. "As if" if they don't see these movies they're going to be scarred for life. That is the wrong message to be sending the youth of the church.

Aren't we supposed to be different from the world, rather than just like them? Why don't we teach our children that they don't have to conform, that it's OK to not follow the crowd. It's OIK not to be tattooed or drink and party on the weekends or go see the latest fad movie. What's wrong with Christian training these days?

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
I have a daughter who likes to listen to rock music, drinks occasionally, curses once in a while and watches scary movies. Big Deal.

That makes sense. Sadly!

Some Christians may think because of the quality of the film they can ignore its hazardous underpinnings, but would you eat a piece of bread that had just a tiny bit of poison in it?

We as Christians are supposed to strive to become pure even as Christ is pure (1 John 3:3), and setting aside a part of our heart to reserve for the enjoyment of films like this is not accomplishing that goal.

I think it is important that at the very least we understand God’s will in these matters. Because that is really what is important, right?

Deut 18:10-12 says "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee."

Charles

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
I don't really understand what is the big hullabaloo about Twilight. maybe we're being too picky. I decided to watch the movie because I thought it would give me a better perspective, and I don't get the big anti-movie thing. I am very surprised that so many Christians here are so opposed to watching movies of fiction. It's just a movie.

1 Cor. 8:8
  "But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse".

Maybe we should be careful not to become legalistic or judgmental about it. But if your conscience is telling you that what you are watching is wrong, it probably is. To me, I don't think so.

Dwight

• That we keep his commandments 1 John 5:3
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »
Ffom my perspective as a faithful Christian, the question is not so much one of “is watching Vampire movies a sin,” but “is this something that is glorifying to God and that I wouldn't be embarrassed if Christ came and caught me watching it.  is this something Jesus would want me to go see?

"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not".  1 Corinthians 10:23

While the scriptures say that many things are permitted, it also says not all these things are to our advantage or edifying to the body,  and this is sin. Whatever we do or watch should be to the glory of God. And I don't think watching Vampire movies qualify, do you?

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
Sex before marriage is not the only sinful decision we want to steer our children away from, so why all the praise for the absence of sex in the Twilight saga? Reggie Matthews brought up the fact that this girl said she was willing to give up her eternal soul for the relationship with the vampire. And everyone just passes over that as if it is secondary to the fact that there is no sex in the first movie. They just conveniently overlook that part of the movie. isn't this a subliminal message more harmful than sex? What subject is more important than our souls?

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
Good Gravy! This is the only place where such a hullabaloo would be made over watching harmless sci-fi movie.  I think we should loosen up a little. Both Twilight and New Moon were the cleanest PG-13 movie I have ever seen.

The reviews that most of the christians give here are judgmental and unfair. Because these movies are very clean except for the occasional violence and lust that you would see in any film, vampire or not. So unless you're going to say all movies are bad, don't be a hypocrite.

I think these movies were very good and entertaining and would recommend them to anyone that is 13 or over. It's science fiction PEOPLE!!!! You want to ban E.T. Too? Because that's Science fiction too.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
People, why are you guys fighting over "harmless" movies, TV shows, performances, holiday costumes, or fleshy entertainments in church and outside? What happened to....

1Co 10:31
  • Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1Th 5:22
  • Abstain from all appearance of evil.
Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

ray

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 02:30:32 PM »
Good Gravy! This is the only place where such a hullabaloo would be made over watching harmless sci-fi movie.

Well, to me thats an indication that there are at least a few discerning folks around. As for science fiction , thats a misnomer, these series of films are ocultic at the very least, and they should be regarded by christians as dangerous. The reason for this is that new age/ occultic influences have already made considerable headway in to many churches, and the fact that many a christian is unable to discern these influences is a major issue. Films and other media in the vein of the Twilight series only serve to break down the defenses that christians should have against this type of thing.Good gravy, what kind of message are we giving our kids by giving an endorsement of this stuff.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
None of you answered my question. Are you not going to watch E.T either? Because that is Sci-Fi as well and just as cultish. In fact, you could say any Sci-Fi movie is cultish. frankensteien, Wolfman, Dracula, E.T., Total Recall, Terminator. Are you saying Christians shouldn't watch these cultish movies?  If you are, then you are being consistant. If you are not, then you are being a hypocrite. So who wants to step up and answer a simple question?

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
None of you answered my question. Are you not going to watch E.T either? Because that is Sci-Fi as well and just as cultish. In fact, you could say any Sci-Fi movie is cultish. frankensteien, Wolfman, Dracula, E.T., Total Recall, Terminator. Are you saying Christians shouldn't watch these cultish movies?  If you are, then you are being consistant. If you are not, then you are being a hypocrite. So who wants to step up and answer a simple question?

I don't know about the others, but I think you make a good point, I'll give you that. But I don't know. Still seems wrong. maybe watching Frankenstein is wrong too. I don't know. I'm sorta caught between the two views.

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »
Betty,
  ET is not a bloodthirsty walking dead that sucks the blood out of people, neither does he require someone give up their mortal soul to be lovers with him. You're mixing apples and oranges. terminator is a metal robot, I don't recall anyone saying they'll give up their soul to be with him, do you? That's like equating a movie romanticizing Witches to a movie a Penquin dancing. it's not the same thing.

As I see it, the problem is that young Christian girls under peer pressure are being persuaded by their friends to go and see these movies. And contrary to what some want to believe, these images of blood lust and sexual fantasy remain burned in the subconscious of our children's minds.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Do we really need any other instruction? isn't this one passage enough? How much is enough for us to accept that Christians shouldn't be thinking on such things, living them out on the big screen. Betty, you seem to have no concept of what it means to be Christlike. That doesn't mean join in and be as close to the world as possible, it means being as far away from them and their thoughts and their lusts as we can.

"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Intercessor

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
I do not watch these films, in fact I watch so few films and general TV because I am convicted of the sin within them at every turn.  God may allow others to watch these films but He does not want me to plus I see nothing in the Bible to support watching any sci-fi and most stuff that hits our screens.  So for me it is a sin when I am being convicted and I ignore it.  My former pastor is a serious Star Wars fan which always made me uncomfortable as a Christian.  I hold to the Word that we should be different in our daily life.  I used to love romantic comedies but now I can't watch them at all.  That's my ten bobs worth!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]