[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Is Spiritual Drunkenness?  (Read 3831 times)

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: What Is Spiritual Drunkenness?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
)GoodPopst(

[Soapbox mode on]

Well said Matrix. Apostolic is always defending the indefensible.  How can he equate speaking in an unknown language with this Petecostal act?

Good choice of words. "Defending the indefensible!" That seems to be what every false teacher, every private interpreter, every radical, every liberal, every rebel, every charismatic, every Pentecostal or free will advocate does. They go to hell and back to deny what is clearly written or that it means exactly what it says. This is everything a faithful Christian should not do. Defending the indefensible!

)amen(

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
Reading this and looking back at the topic of "Spiritual Insanity" I found myself thinking how similar they are. Are they one and the same? Both a type of spiritual delusion,  confusion and insobriety?   )thinker(

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
Well, being drunk is a little like temporary insanity

...not that I've ever known anything about that ;)

Reggie Matthews

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »
I think they correlate. It's all about having a twisted or distorted perception of things.
"Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?" -Ecclesiastes 8:4

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
>>>
Reading this and looking back at the topic of "Spiritual Insanity" I found myself thinking how similar they are. Are they one and the same? Both a type of spiritual delusion,  confusion and insobriety?   
<<<

Halle,
   I would definitely say so. I mean, whether one calls themselves a janitor or a custodian, it's basically the same thing when you get right down to it. Yes I think both those phrases "simply" refer to one having a mind that is spiritually unsound. As when someone is insane, they are basically not sound or reasoned mind. Likewise, someone is drunk, they are also not of a sound or reasoned mind. Sure, their minds became unsound by different methods, but the resultant pattern of misconception is the same. When the word of God speaks of being of the Christian being sober mind, it speaks of us being of sound mind.  Sober-minded refers to someone whose mind is characterized by normal mental or behavioral patterns. Someone not capricious, foolish or irrational in thinking or coming to conclusions, but is serious, judicious and sensible. A person who gives proper thought to problems, is studious and logical, is an example of someone who would be described as sober-minded.

Titus 2:6-7
  • "Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
  • In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,"

by nature the young are (generally speaking) foolish, mercurial, impulsive and capricious. Thus we are particularly to exhort the young to be sober minded.
When God encourages young men to be sober minded in good works and uncorrupted in doctrines and honesty, it's not so much about physical intoxication, but about sound judgments and having a well-governed mind, rather than be impulsive and without the rational reflection, to which the young are very often prone. To be sober minded equates to being clear thinking. The opposite of which is to not think clearly, which by contrast the warped and often confused rationales and doctrines of false Christians is this confused thinking. It is a type of spiritual intoxication because (like drunkenness) their judgment is unsound, their thinking is unclear, their speech is confusing and their walk unstable. God doesn't equate the golden cup of wine of the harlots hand with a offering of spiritual drunkenness for no reason. It is to signify and illustrate that it makes those who partake of it of unsound mind and judgment, as if they had become spiritually drunk and delusional. It is spiritual because it's a working of the spirit of the evil one, and drunk because it produces confused and disjointed thinking, judgment and exposition. The people who are seduced by the wine of the Harlot cannot think clearly or make sound judgments because they are in spiritual bondage, deluded by Satan. For example, have you ever tried to convince someone of the truth of Scripture by quoting its testimony word for word, only to have them completely ignore the Scripture, become angry and defensive and retort that they don't understand how "you" can say that? It's as if they just can't hear the word of God you testified to them at all (John 8:43). It's not that the Scripture wasn't clear, nor that you hadn't presented it plainly, it is because they haven't been given the Spirit that reveals truth and so are actually deluded and incapable of receiving the word of truth. They are not sober minded and so they can't really see nor hear the truth "until or unless" sovereign God decides to reveal it to them. Spiritual insanity is the exact same mindset of someone not being of sound mind to receive truth. The very rational truth of God's word, testified and quoted word for word to them, somehow becomes your irrational words that you placed in God's mouth.There is no soundness of thinking. Which I believe is why Christ used the insane man being healed as a sign of salvation, a portrait of the regeneration and change of our spiritually incoherent mind of bondage, to the revelation of the mind of Christ.

Luke 8:35
  • "Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid."

This sign, like all miracles Christ did, pointing to the fact that likewise, when we become saved we go from being in bondage to the devil, spiritually naked in sin, and spiritually insane of mind, to having the bondage of the spirit of devils cast out of us, being clothed in Christ's righteousness that the nakedness of our sin not appear (Genesis 3:6-7, Genesis 3:20-21; Exodus 32:25), and in our right mind. These are the portraits that all of Christ's miracles pointed to, which is God's magnificent salvation plan. It is throughout the Bible illustrated in God's great signs and wonders. Being insane is characterized by the abnormal mental and behavioral patterns associated with the mind, and being sane is the exact opposite. As in being balanced, being well, having a normal mental and behavior pattens of the mind, being reasonably rational, sober, stable, judicious or sound of mind. In other words, all the things that one who is physically drunk or physically insane is not. As I said before, those who sleep, sleep in darkness, and those who are drunken are drunken in the darkness, and it all pertains to our Spiritual well being and soundness of mind.

1st Thessalonians 5:6-8
  • "Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
  • For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
  • But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."

In short, spiritual insanity is the stain of sin, a disorder of the mind characterized by the unsaved's illogical, confused, disjointed beliefs and unsound analyses . In Biblical terms it is synonymous with Strong Delusions and Spiritual drunkenness. Those in bondage to sin with the spirits of Devils thinking contradictorily, illogically, disjointedly and with confused doctrines and beliefs.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »
I've heard of drunk in the Spirit...

http://phillipchan.org/holy-intoxication-what-it-means-to-be-drunk-in-the-spirit/

...but I've never heard of spiritual drunkenness. My guess is that it doesn't exist and is just brought up here to confuse the church.

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Thank you Betty
Holy Laughter or Drunk in the Spirit

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
 :'(  These people think God will hear them because of their emotional antics and repeating vain chants over and over again. It's so ridiculous. Why would you even post such a video as if this is proper Christian behavior?

"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. Matthew 6:6-8"

What you posted is a exploitation of unsaved people, not a example of worship.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
>>>
These people think God will hear them because of their emotional antics and repeating vain chants over and over again. It's so ridiculous. Why would you even post such a video as if this is proper Christian behavior?
<<<

People post it for the very same reason we have people posting how great Reformed Charismatics is, or how God supports divorce and remarriage, or how homosexuality as a lifestyle is apart from the act.  It's because people in the church are not necessarily the church. They are conned by the spirit of the Serpent, just as Eve was conned while dwelling in the paradise of God in the garden of Eden. It's a case of mistaken identity, as the messengers of the Serpent masquerade or appear as messengers of God and deceive many. What is revealed in that video to those who have the Spirit of Revelation is that we must not believe every spirit. We must try the spirits whether they are of God or not, because many false prophets are gone out into the world (1st John 4:1).

These people aren't any worse than anyone else, but they are deluded, misled and deceived so that they actually think/believe they are doing God service. But they are missing the Spirit of truth. Why is it that you don't believe that these people are actually talking to God in a unknown tongue or language, or actually are experiencing God breathed hysterically laughter, or are actually in a trace-like state and rolling on the floor because God designed that behavior, or that they can cast out a supernatural Devil being from someone's body, or can heal someone from terminal cancer with a touch, etc., etc.

...you don't believe that because "the Spirit of God" has revealed to you that it is not true.

John 16:13
  • "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."

The Spirit works through the word of God, which these people in some aspect are either ignoring or twisting. We're not any smarter or wiser or more knowledgeable than they are, but God has had mercy on us to reveal through the Spirit of truth what is in agreement with His word. The spirit of error is a spirit of disobedience and will of man. We can take no credit for knowing truth, our faith is all God authored, God sealed and God completed. We can but testify, witness and pray that truth might be revealed to those who hear the testimony, in accordance with what is God's will.

...if they don't hear, then it's not God's will that they hear.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
>>>
I've heard of drunk in the Spirit...
<<<

I have also, and according to God, it's not a good thing:

Isaiah 29:9-10
  • "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
  • For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered."

This spiritual drunkenness is not a good thing given of God to His people, but the judgment of God upon them for their rebellion and unfaithfulness to His word. That should be a lesson or example for all in the church, but sadly it is not. Scripture interprets Scripture, and the spirit of drunkenness is something to pray to God should never happen to you, not something to encourage.

>>>
...but I've never heard of spiritual drunkenness...
<<<

You've heard of "drunk in the spirit," but not "spiritual drunkeness?"  The fact is, you didn't hear either phrase from the Bible. However, what both phrases represent is in the Bible, and it is a drunkenness that is not physical, but spiritual or analogous to physical drunkenness. You've posted a article on Holy Intoxication (as if there is such a thing) that is postulating that in the book of Acts it is demonstrated that the Apostles were drunk in the spirit. That of course is a false claim, built upon a faulty premise and held together by distortion and sleight of hand. People thinking the Apostles were drunk because they spoke in a language that those around them couldn't comprehend is not them being drunk in the spirit. Not by a long shot. It is others supposing erroneously that they must be drunk "because" they were (to them) babbling incoherently. To equate that to what today is the phenomenon of Holy Laughter or Drunk in the Spirit is spurious at best, and most likely deceitful.

For the record there is no holy intoxication or drunkenness of the spirit, there is only the unholy intoxication of the judgment of God in allowing His unfaithful and rebellious people to be deceived as judgment. God's people are of the light and are never drunken as a good Thing.  The Reprobates are those God calls drunken, as Scripture interprets Scripture.

1st Th 5:7-8
  • "For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
  • But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."

Let God's faithful servants who are of the day, be sober. Revelation tells us that it is the whore who has a cup that makes the unfaithful drunken. That harlot is the unfaithful of the church, not the faithful woman who is the church.

Revelation 17:16-18
  • "And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
  • For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
  • And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth."

That reigning city with the wine of drunkenness is the unfaithful church that has become as Babylon, and her judgment is death, and it is not something to wish upon any Christian. I can't even imagine a Christian supporting "holy intoxication" when God specifically warns against drunkenness all throughout His infallible word. But this is what happens to a mind that is not sober.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
>>>
Thank you Betty
Holy Laughter or Drunk in the Spirit
<<<

Apostolic,
   The video that you posted was actually a prime example of the meaning of "Spiritual Insanity," which is characterized by false and carnal doctrines, excessive appeal to emotionalism, world philosophies and the sensual over sober-minded Scriptural understanding and perspicacity. When I watch that I see the age-old and disturbing, worldly illustration of man's vain imagination in self-centered ideas and visions of what serving God is. That video is a over-the-top example of the height of spiritual drunkenness.

Isaiah 29:9
  • "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink."

Their staggering and drunkenness was not with physical wine, but they were drunk or reeling to and fro in their spirit, in a type of spiritual/cerebral paralysis. They are in astonishment because their prophets or teachers are blind, and thus their doctrines worship God in vain. Likewise those snared in political, worldly and emotion based gospels worship God in vain. And not to put to fine a point on it, the mind that they demonstrate in that video is the very opposite of a Christian mind that is au courant, clear, sober, cognizant and aware. The title "Drunk in the Spirit" is the appropriate name you've given them, but the question is, drunk in what spirit? Does the Spirit of God make one drunk, or is that the spirit of delusion? For the Spirit of God is a Spirit of stability and truth, and the truth is that God tells no one to fall into a trance-like state, roll on the floor and laugh hysterically because His Spirit is with them. When the Spirit of God comes, the man of God is as far from Drunk as man can get. He does not spiritually reel to and fro, he is sober minded and not given to this emotional hysteria or neurotic inebriation. This drunkenness is what keeps them from receiving the truth, not what reveals God's Spiritual truth to them. Their spiritual drunkenness prevents them from hearing God.

1st John 4:6
  • "We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

I can say without the fear of contradiction that the Spirit of God tells no one that the word of God (quoted word for word) is not true, nor that the video you posted is a depiction of His Spirit working, is God glorifying, or is an example of the sober-minded Christian that Gods word calls for. To have a mind that is spiritually sober is to have a mind characterized by this Holy Spirit of truth where one receives (1st Corinthians 4:20) the word with power, and disseminates it with power. It is a Spirit illustrated in clarity of thought, theological judiciousness, a spiritually sound mind of prudence. Not the state of unholy laughter or jaunty, ecstatic, exuberant, festive, delirium, but the state where the mind is reasonable, well balanced, and under the firm influence of the right Spirit.

1st Peter 1:12-13
  • "Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
  • Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;"

This is the state of mind, the soberness of mind that the Apostle regarded as so necessary to the faithful Christian. Why do we think God's unadulterated words of the Apostle declares, "he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us?" Is it because He knows our word is unassailable? No, it is because His word is unassailable, and we preach and testify of His word rather than our own. And they to whom He has given the gift of His Spirit, HEAR His word. It is because everyone who is "actually saved" has the Spirit of God in them revealing what is true based on if God said it. We don't know truth because we are smarter, but because it is revealed to us of the Spirit. Why do you think the Apostle, under inspiration of God"  declares, "Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error." Because this is how we know the Spirit of God's truth from the spirit of Satan's lies. We try the spirits! The Spirit gives us a sober or sound mind to discern what is true and what is not. It is because our ultimate authority on doctrine is the word of God alone, as defined by God's word alone. Their authority is the word of God, as defined by the word of man, plus their experiences in tongues and visions. That's why the Pentecostals and Charismatics have the bible, plus the revelation of their dreams, tongues and visions. The Roman Catholics have their word of God, plus the words of the Pope and Bishops, along with perceived miracles. The Jewish people have the word of God, plus their national politics and teachers carnal interpretations of Scripture. The only truth is the word of God alone, as defined by the WORD of God alone, and anyone denying this of NECESSITY denies the Living WORD.

Titus 1:16
  • "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

Reprobate unto every good deed, every good word, every good fruit. A tree is known by its fruits or works, not by its perceived sincerity, or its look of holiness or its appearance of being righteous. Sadly, much of today's Christianity looks upon the outward appearance, the politics, the perception of love and the sentiment of emotion as illustrative of pious Christianity. It's all a facade, a front where drunk in the spirit has the appearance of Godliness, when it is strong delusion characterized "not" by a pure reliance on the word of God alone, but on a spirit of uncontrollable emotions masquerading as a working of the Holy Spirit. Rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically, repetitive vain chanting and sensual, emotional hysteria, is not Holy Laughter, it is a unholy departure from the sober mindedness of true Christ centered worship. It is the strong delusion brought on by the spirit of Antichrsit. The Pentecostal / Charismatic groups are not sober-minded Christians who give proper thought to the Word, to problems, or being studious and logical in approaching Scripture. They are an example of someone who would be described as under some kind of spiritual delusion (insanity) about worship and Christianity. This is a phantom gospel, a fruitless, spuriousness, false imitation of the true Spirit of the gospel of Christ. Stars without light, trees without olives, and vines without the fruit of grapes. They think they do God service, but in "truth" are not cognizant of their own spiritual delusion in thinking this way. Man's humanistic sympathy notwithstanding, that doesn't make them sincere of heart, excusable or without fault before God. For man yes, but before God, no. We are easily deceived, God is never deceived.

Hebrews 4:12-13
  • "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
  • Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."

They may be clothed in purple and decked with gold before us, but they are naked in trespass and sin before Him. Selah.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou
forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Alex Rowland

• The PuritanBoard
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
  Why would you even post such a video as if this is proper Christian behavior?

What you posted is a exploitation of unsaved people, not a example of worship.

)goodquestion(  :iagree:

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
Apostolic,
   The video that you posted was actually a prime example of the meaning of "Spiritual Insanity,"

Well who made you the Grand Poobah of teaching to correct us? Who made you arbiter of all that is holy and true? Your mouth is not a prayer book.

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Well who made you the Grand Poobah of teaching to correct us? Who made you arbiter of all that is holy and true? Your mouth is not a prayer book.

You don't need to be the Grand Poobah to know spiritual insanity when you see it, you only need to be elect.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 06:01:32 PM »
Just remember this. For as you have been judging, so you will be judged, and with your measure will it be measured to you. Matthew 7:2,  BIBE

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]