[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Is Spiritual Drunkenness?  (Read 5251 times)

Hethatreadethit

What Is Spiritual Drunkenness?
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Spiritual Drunkedness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual Drunkedness is the delusion of thinking your doing God's will, when in fact you turn your ears from His word's, and follow your imagination in stead.
This is defined in Deut. 29:19: "And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying , I shall have peace though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkedness to thirst. The word of God is like a fine wine that brings joy of heart but if it becomes abused it brings spiritual drunkedness and eventually wrath.
Paul in Philippians 2:16,17 saw himself as a vessel being used to pour out the word of life like a drink offering, and it was poured out on the sacrifice and service of faith. (This is a real clue that helps reveal the truth about the daily sacrifice.) Disobedience to the purpose of the drink offering can bring delusion. This act of turning or removing the ear from the truth was forcast by Paul in 2Timothy 4:3,4: " For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lust shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." This removing of the ear from the truth is what cast down the truth as spoken in the book of Daniel 8:12. The casting down is taking the spiritual truth and going back to the carnal. Spiritual truth rises and carnal falls. The prophets warned of this and in Isaiah 24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall totter like a hut; Its transgression shall be heavy upon it, and it will fall, and not rise again. Didn't Christ say this would happen in Mathew 7:24-27? Look these scriptures up yourself.

The cup of the Lord's was commanded to be sent unto the nations to whom it is sent, and this would be the way that God could revenge himself of His enemies In Jeremiah 25:15,16, it says: For thus saith the Lord God of Israel unto me; "Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it. And they shall drink, and be moved,and be mad, because of the sword that I will send among them."
This cup would pass into the hand of Bablylon. In Revelation 18:3 it says:
"For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury." She removed her heart from the word of God and pursued after carnal riches and this is her fall.

In Romans 12:19:20 it says: "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourself, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, vengeance is mine; I will repay , saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in doing so thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head."
This vengeance is mentioned in Jeremiah 51:6,7: "Flee from the midst of Babylon, and every one save his life! Do not be cut off in her iniquity, for this is the time of the Lord's vengeance; He shall recompeance her."
"Babylon was a golden cup in the Lord's hand, that made all the earth drunk.
The nations drank her wine; therefore the nations are deranged.

Christ speaks of this vengeance in St. Luke 21:20-24. Please read it and there is more, and just study and think on it, and you will find that this is true and the world is in great danger for all the spiritual confusion that has been sown therein concerning the Christ.
Sincerely: Hethatreadethit

Shirley

• The Spirit of Christ
Re: What Is Spiritual Drunkenness?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
Spiritual Drunkedness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual Drunkedness is the delusion of thinking your doing God's will, when in fact you turn your ears from His word's, and follow your imagination in stead.

I "basically" agree. There is so much spiritual drunkenness in the Church today that the people stagger to and fro not knowing what way they are going. They are out in the world and back in the Church, one foot in heaven and one in hell. But I believe the drunkenness comes from drinking the cup at the hands of the unfaithful. pastors and Preachers who tell Christians what they want to hear, rather than what the bible says. Like the discussion we were having about marking and avoiding those with false doctrines, or of allowing divorce and remarriage, receiving homosexuality as just another sin like getting angry. These pastors feed this cup of wine to Christians and they drink it because they like the taste.

Revelation 17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

The spiritual drunkenness comes from the unfaithful Church, and it is Christians who are made drunk by it.

Hethatreadethit

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
Hi Shirley, blessings to you:  I think your on the right track but I think it goes much deeper than just the sins of the flesh. The church doctrine must be unpolluted and build up faith to a spiritual level as written by Paul in Ephesians 2:6:

And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

This rising to the heavenly is accomplished by faith in the word of God (truth).  Faith comes by hearing the word of God.  The removal of ones ears from the truth (mentioned in 2Timothy 4:3,4) will bring about spiritual delusion and bring desolation  Like a bird in a cage, faith in something other than the truth can not ascend to the heavenly,  where is safety in Christ.
I have just posted: ]"_To those Gathered to Armageddon", and I think you will find it very interesting.

Sincerely,  Hethatreadethit

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
New Article on this topic

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/what_is_spiritual_drunkenness.shtml

I've long said that the church today acts as if they are spiritually drunk.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
 &TY

Wayne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
Amen Tony, Amen Halle.

I listened to a sermon some time ago that was in that same vein of Spiritual Sobriety.

http://www.arkpres.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2012.04.29-JAMES-Spiritual-Sobriety.mp3

Scripture Passage: James 1:9-12

Sermon Subject: Faith is not some abstract ascent to a body of truths, nor is it a sterile belief in Jesus.  Faith involves a commitment of our total self and results in a lifestyle reflective of this commitment.  James leaves us breathless with the comprehensively transforming power of the Gospel.  This message challenges us to a sober and saving and satisfying trust in Christ first and Him foremost as we live increasingly for the glory of God’s unveiled heavenly presence.

Cecil

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

Ancient Babylon was the fountainhead of false religion, which expanded earth wide to become a demonistic world empire, labeled appropriately “Babylon the Great.” In course of time, Rome became prominent in that religious empire, for it was under Rome that apostate Christianity developed.
Yes, all mankind is being scrutinized to see who are “sheep” and who are “goats.” How is this examining work accomplished? In John’s vision, “the harvest of the earth” is reaped in conjunction with powerful messages proclaimed by angels. One angel declares a message of “everlasting good news.” Another announces the fall of “Babylon the Great.” And a third warns against worship of “the wild beast,” Satan’s political system of things. (Revelation 14:6-10) True, nobody has heard the actual voices of these angels. But they have heard corresponding messages being uttered by faithful humans. (Matthew 24:14; Isaiah 48:20; Zechariah 2:7; James 1:27; 1 John 2:15-17) So, clearly, the messages are broadcast by human mouthpieces under angelic direction. A person is identified as a ‘sheep’ or as a ‘goat’ by the way he responds to the angelic messages.

David Knoles

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
This is the same problem I see in the other threads. In his chart Tony equates spiritual drunkenness with spiritual sleep, and he's thrown out a lot of scriptures but I don't see the connection. As before, there is far too much spiritualizing and that is why Amill people go so very wrong in their prophecy. And to make the outrageous statement that God did it as judgement just goes too far. God loves his church and so the whore Babylon is not his church. That is his private interpretation. Babylon is the world system.

And George, thank you for your support. I just hope others read Dr Walvoord and come out of the false gospel into an educated understanding of prophecy.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »
>>>
This is the same problem I see in the other threads. In his chart Tony equates spiritual drunkenness with spiritual sleep, and he's thrown out a lot of scriptures but I don't see the connection.
<<<

I for one don't expect you to, but the Lord is gracious and with God all things are possible. Nevertheless, it is imperative for the faithful Christian to understand very real connection between spiritual darkness and sleep with spiritual drunkenness. And that's specifically why I made that chart. You may not see the connection, but God obviously made the connection. If you thought the scriptures I gave were vague, I can offer more:

Isaiah 29:9-12
  • "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
  • For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
  • And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
  • And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned."

If you cannot see the connection God made between the darkness in spiritual sleep and drunkenness, then it is because you are spiritually blinded. Because the scripture there is perfectly clear in its context, association, relationship and correlation.

>>>
As before, there is far too much spiritualizing and that is why Amill people go so very wrong in their prophecy.
<<<

Did God go so very wrong in His "spiritualizing" by saying that those men were drunken, but not with physical wine, but "spiritually" they were drunken? Let's read it again:

• "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
  • For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered."

Is God talking about a physical drunkenness or a spiritual drunkenness, and does God make the connection with it to spiritual sleep? So your question is answered. Of course, you can protest this all you want, but God self-defines this pertinent language for us right there within His word. It's not a literal wine drunkenness, but a spiritual wine drunkenness, and it's not a physical staggering, but a spiritual staggering in spiritual inebriation. Far too much spiritualizing by God? I think not.

>>>
And to make the outrageous statement that God did it as judgement just goes too far. God loves his church and so the whore Babylon is not his church.
<<<

Who? Me or God? Is God in fact outrageous for saying unambiguously that this spiritual drunbkeness was His doing upon His people? ...Again, let's read it:

• For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered."

So again we see that God's word stands over man's empty denials. It is He that has done this. It is "HE" that has made it so that the alleged prophets of His people are blinded that they do not see the truth. It is "HE" that has sent this strong delusion to the rulers and prophets--your protests notwithstanding.

>>>
That is his private interpretation. Babylon is the world system.
<<<

Revelation 14:8
  • "And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."

Babylon has "always" been illustrated as a ungodly great city within the world system wherein God's people were held captive. It's not the whole world or world system itself, but a city thereof "wherein" the kings of the earth were made spiritually drunken by her spiritual fornication. Look at the language itself--She made all nations of the world drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. Clearly, she is not the nations of the world, and she is not the world or the world system, she is a city, an specific municipality, an assembly that the nations of the world were deceived by.

>>>
And George, thank you for your support. I just hope others read Dr Walvoord and come out of the false gospel into an educated understanding of prophecy.
<<<

Unfortunately, many renowned prophets cannot see the forest for the trees. And the education of men has never equated to real knowledge, understanding or accuracy. The well educated scientists and evolutionists of our day are great examples of this most basic truth. They are men wise and knowledgeable in their own spirit, but not in the Spirit of the way of truth.

2nd Timothy 3:5-7
  • "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
  • For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
  • Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Visa'vis, just because someone is ever learning, doesn't mean that they have come to the knowledge of the truth. Sure, they may go to great prestigious schools and may learn many things, but the true Spirit and nature of God they do not learn. Many theologians embrace political, national and visionary theories, but they neglect the ultimate authority of the word and the Spirit of the gospel.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
 )danceBanana(  )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana( )danceBanana(

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 06:45:55 AM »
That's interesting. Spiritual drunkenness as compared to physical drunkenness. Do you think a lot of Church people are spiritually drunk today? Could that be why there is so much emphasis on works today?
K I R A 

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • 🌴"But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. -Psalm 52:8"
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
That's interesting. Spiritual drunkenness as compared to physical drunkenness. Do you think a lot of Church people are spiritually drunk today? Could that be why there is so much emphasis on works today?

I think that there is a lot of spiritual drunkenness, but I don't believe it particularly has to do with works. I think it more has to do with strong delusion where people think that they are being Christian when they are being unfaithful. Drunk is equated with being unwise to do foolish things. So spiritual drunkenness is the opposite of spiritual wisdom. Where the wise would soberly and faithfully follow God's word, the foolish will drunkenly and unfaithfully stagger in their confused state.

"They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man. Job 12:25"

Spiritual drunkenness is as a man without wisdom,  a tree without water, a man without light. People who grope in the dark because they can't see the truth, whatever it is. That's what I believe.

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
Read and learn Young'ns. Not only my Reformed friends, but my Pentecostal friends as well.

http://phillipchan.org/holy-intoxication-what-it-means-to-be-drunk-in-the-spirit/

You see, there are two sides to every story. I hope that you learned something today.

Matrix

• Neo
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »
Yes, I am being drunk in the Holy Spirit and am a Bible-believing Christian. What are the odds? I want to show some passages in the scriptures which inform my understanding of being drunk in the Spirit.

Acts 2:1-13 – Pentecost

“But others mocking said, ‘They are filled with new wine.’”

The first place I want to look is Acts on the day of Pentecost. The Holy Spirit is prophetically poured out powerfully on the believers at the time. What happens is that “they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Furthermore, the crowd gathers around them and mocks them first with amazement. But the second observation they note is striking to me.

It says, “Others mocked them saying, ‘They are filled with new wine’” (2:13). Even Peter would later respond to this accusation by saying “These are people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day” (2:15).

What an interesting way to describe the filling of the Holy Spirit, that the apostles were “drunk”.

I will take one part of this post to refute because it isn't worth any more time. Like every other article for miracles, tongues and visions, it is not only frot with passages taken out of context, but it lacks any logic whatsoever. For example, the passage above. God isn't describing the apostles as beong drunk, the people thought the apostles were drunk. They weren't drunk in the spirit, they were thought to be drunk. So how can that passage in any way be used to support today's phenomenon called being drunk in the spirit?

Acts 2:13-16 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"

Note that Peter says they are not drunk, he doesn't say that they were drunk in the spirit, he says they were fulfilling the prophecy of Joel. And that prophecy was of the gospel going to the ends of the earth, for Jews and Gentiles. What the Apostles did was nothing like the nutty phenomenon today of being drunk in the spirit. The apostles merely spoke with new languages, which caused some who stood by (who didn't understand the language) to think they were babbling, and thus drunk.  They didn't dance with joy, fall on the ground, shake uncontrollably, throw their hands up or roll their eyes back in their head. They didn't fall down backwards or any of the other nonsense that the false prophets claim is being drunk in the spirit. So to equate Acts recording these to be speaking in other languages, with today's wild phenomenon is not only false, but also privately interpreting God's word. This whole article is as ridiculous as their conclusion of this one passage is.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
 )GoodPopst(

[Soapbox mode on]

Well said Matrix. Apostolic is always defending the indefensible.  How can he equate speaking in an unknown language with this Petecostal act?

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]