[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are There Different Degrees of Hell?  (Read 1661 times)

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Are There Different Degrees of Hell?
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Are there many degrees of punishment or hell for the unsaved?  I use to believe there was only one degree of hell, but not anymore.   I don't remember how I came to this conclusion and I'm not having much luck with my studies.  Can someone please help?

Penne

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
Re: Are There Different Degrees of Hell?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
Are there many degrees of punishment or hell for the unsaved?  I use to believe there was only one degree of hell, but not anymore.   I don't remember how I came to this conclusion and I'm not having much luck with my studies.  Can someone please help?

Penne

Luke 12:47-28 "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.  But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

This indicates there will be varying degrees of punishment.

Deuce Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Greater degrees of sin would indicate to me greater degrees of punishment.

Shirley

• The Spirit of Christ
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:08 AM »

James 3:1 
  "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

Doesn't that suggest a greater degree of condemnation from God? Didn't Judas receive greater condemnation? Aren't professing and knowledgeable Christians judged more severely?

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
Thanks!  These verses are helping a lot.

midas

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
Mark 12:38-40  And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces, And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts: Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:10:33 AM »
I think it is pretty clear from the different scriptures that speak on God's punishment that there will be "no cookie cutter hell" wherein everyone is measured the same. I think all scripture, taken collectively, demonsrate that there will be varying "degrees" of hell. Here's another one if you're still counting.

Mt 11:20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
 21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
 22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
 23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
 24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Hell is more than separation from God, it is punishment where some receive few stripes while others receive many.

James Heckman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
I'm confused. I thought Hell was separation from God? Help!

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
I'm confused. I thought Hell was separation from God? Help!

Hi James,

Hebrews 10:30-31
 "For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.  It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Hell is separation from God, but that's not all it is.  It is also retribution, vengeance, payback (repay), a day of  reckoning and justice.

James Heckman

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
But is that implying that some in Hell would have some degree of contact with God's presence? Wouldn't absence from God mean God's not there to judge?  If all are equally separated, how can there be degrees of torment.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]