[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The KJV vs Modern or Paraphrased Versions  (Read 10266 times)

PURITAN HEART

The KJV vs Modern or Paraphrased Versions
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Greetings all,
Since my personal preference of Bible for reading and study is the KJV, I have requested (and received) permission (from Mr Warren) to post the following articles as I receive them:  

Dr Ken Matto of Scion of Zion, has researched extensively and does an excellent work of highlighting the grievous errors of the modern translations and paraphrased versions. I have learnt much from these studies.  Below is a quote from the following link: http://www.scionofzion.com/kjv_1611_yahoo.htm

Quote: Dr Ken Matto:  ''These studies are for anyone who wishes to use them.  There are no prohibitions on using these studies for any reason except sales.  They are here strictly for the edification of the body of Christ and for a simple apologetic against the arguments of the modern version proponents.''  end quote:

Below is the entire transcript, to make it easier for some, and also, herewith, the link: http://www.scionofzion.com/kjv_1611_yahoo.htm

I pray that those who take the time to read these postings will be as Blessed as I have been!

Alexandra

PS: I do also realise that these postings might well open up debate, maybe not.  Might I humbly request, that should there be those who challenge these articles or wish to refute the information therein, to please do so with the same courteousy that that themselves would like shown to them.

Feature Verse for January 14, 2011 -  1 Corinthians 9:22

1 Corinthians 9:22
(KJV) To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
(1611 KJV) To the weake became I as weake, that I might gaine the weake: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all meanes saue some.
(1568 Bishops Bible) To the weake became I as weake, that I might winne the weake. I am made all thinges to all men, that I might at the least way saue some.
(1526 Tyndale) To the weake became I as weake to wynne the weake. In all thinge I fassioned my silfe to all men to save at ye lest waye some.

Counterfeit Versions

(1881 RV) To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak: I am become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some.
(1901 ASV) To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak: I am become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some.
(NIV) To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.
(NASV) To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
(THE MESSAGE) I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life.
(AMP) To the weak (wanting in discernment) I have become weak (wanting in discernment) that I might win the weak and overscrupulous. I have [in short] become all things to all men, that I might by all means (at all costs and in any and every way) save some [by winning them to faith in Jesus Christ].
(NLT) When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.
(ESV) To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.
(CEV) When I am with people whose faith is weak, I live as they do to win them. I do everything I can to win everyone I possibly can.
(NCV) To those who are weak, I became weak so I could win the weak. I have become all things to all people so I could save some of them in any way possible.
(HCSB) To the weak I became weak, in order to win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I may by all means save some.
(NIRV) To those who are weak I became weak. That was to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that in all possible ways I might save some.
(RSV) To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
(NAB-Roman Catholic) To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some.
(NWT-Jehovah’s Witnesses) To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak. I have become all things to people of all sorts, that I might by all means save some.

Textus Receptus - Traditional Text
εγενομην τοις ασθενεσιν ως ασθενης ινα τους ασθενεις κερδησω τοις πασιν γεγονα τα παντα ινα παντως τινας σωσω

Hort-Westcott - Critical Text
εγενομην τοις ασθενεσιν ασθενης ινα τους ασθενεις κερδησω τοις πασιν γεγονα παντα ινα παντως τινας σωσω

Corrupted Manuscripts
This verse is corrupted in the following manuscripts:
Aleph 01 - Sinaiticus - Fourth century
A 02 - Alexandrinus - Fifth century
B 03 - Vaticanus - Fourth century

Manuscripts which agree with the Textus Receptus for this verse
Byzantine Text (450-1450 A.D.)
Aleph 01 - (Corrected) Sinaiticus - Fourth century
C 04 - Ephraemi Rescriptus - Fifth century
D 06 - Paris: Claromontanus - Sixth century
K 018 - Ninth century
P 025 - Ninth century

Published Critical Greek Texts with Corruptions
Omit “as”
Lachmann, Karl - 1842 (In the margin or brackets
Tischendorf, Constantine - 1869
Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
Alford, Henry - 1849 revised in 1871
Wordsworth, Christopher - 1856 revised in 1870
Westcott and Hort - 1881
Nestle - 1927 as revised in seventeenth edition in 1941
Nestle-Aland - 1979 - Twenty Sixth Edition
United Bible Societies - 1983 - Fourth Edition

Affected Teaching

Paul now reminds these Corinthians of the weak brethren he spoke of in the previous chapter plus many that are new Christians and still weak in the faith. He identified with these people to be able to grow them in the faith. Paul did not overwhelm those who are new in the faith and neither should we. Then Paul states that he chooses to identify himself with all people for the purpose of bringing the true Gospel to them. The sign of a great missionary is to place themselves on the same level as those which are being witnessed to. Whenever we go out to the streets to witness, we always try to identify with the people that we are trying to reach. We must keep in mind that at one time we were all unbelievers holding to some type of worldly philosophy. By identifying with the group we are witnessing to it keeps our pride from flaring up. This is why the Scripture uses the word “as.” In the Greek the word “hos” is a relative adverb which is a particle of comparison. Let us look at two examples from the Scriptures:

(2 Pet 3:8 KJV) But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

In 2 Peter 3:8, we see the word “as” which is making a comparison of 1,000 years and one day. The verse does not say that a day is a thousand years or a thousand years is a day. It is making a comparison to eternity that time is of no value in eternity because there is no measurement of time as we know it.

(1 Cor 13:11 KJV) When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Paul here speaks about when he was child he spake as a child would speak. Then he states that he understood as a child understands. He makes another comparison. When he was a child, he spoke as a child speaks but when he grew up, he put away childish things. Now back to 1 Corinthians 9:22. The modern versions claim that he became weak to reach the people who are weak. So according to the modern versions, if someone had a weakness with drinking alcohol, then Paul became a drunk to reach them which is ridiculous. The King James Bible places “as” in that verse according to the true text and it instead does not say Paul became a sinner to reach sinners, but he identified with them and understood where they were at and reached them at that level. If I know someone with a gambling problem, do I become a gambler to reach them or try to understand the motivations behind gambling and then reach them. A very big difference indeed.

Jimmy

Re: The KJV vs Modern or Paraphrased Versions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
One little word makes a big difference doesn't it.  Thanks for posting!
Jimmy
If Christ is in the boat we can smile at the storm

PURITAN HEART

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
New Verse:[

b]Corinthians 10:9 [/b]

(KJV) Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
(1611 KJV) Neither let vs tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
(1560 Geneva Bible) Neither let vs tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted him, and were destroyed of serpents.
(1526 Tyndale) Nether let vs tempte Christ as some of them tempted and were destroyed of serpentes.

Counterfeit Versions
(1881 RV) Neither let us tempt the Lord, as some of them tempted, and perished by the serpents.
(1901 ASV) Neither let us make trial of the Lord, as some of them made trial, and perished by the serpents.
(NIV) We should not test the Lord, as some of them did-and were killed by snakes
(NASV) Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents.
(THE MESSAGE) We must never try to get Christ to serve us instead of us serving him; they tried it, and God launched an epidemic of poisonous snakes.
(AMP) We should not tempt the Lord [try His patience, become a trial to Him, critically appraise Him, and exploit His goodness] as some of them did--and were killed by poisonous serpents;
(NIRV) We should not put the Lord to the test, as some of them did. They were killed by snakes.
(RSV) We must not put the Lord to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents;
(NWT-Jehovah’s Witnesses) Neither let us put Jehovah to the test, as some of them put [him] to the test, only to perish by the serpents.

NIV, ESV, NLT, CEV, NAB contain footnotes stating that “some manuscripts read ‘tempt or test the Lord.’”

μηδε εκπειραζωμεν τον χριστον καθως και τινες αυτων επειρασαν και υπο των οφεων απωλοντο

μηδε εκπειραζωμεν τον κυριον καθως τινες αυτων επειρασαν και υπο των οφεων απωλλυντο

Corrupted Manuscripts
P 025 - Ninth century
33 (Minuscule) - Ninth Century

P 46 - circa 200 AD
K 018 - Ninth century
L 020 - Ninth century
Psi 044 - Eight/Ninth/ century

Read “the Lord” instead of “Christ”
Lachmann, Karl - 1842
Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
Westcott and Hort - 1881

Affected Teaching
This is one of the biggest attacks on the Lord Jesus Christ. What is being recounted in this section is that fact that Israel had angered the Lord and He sent serpents among the people and those who were bitten had died. Israel had partaken in idolatry and that is what the Corinthians did. Paul brought up the serpent event to show the Corinthians that it is a short distance from sensuality and compromise to full idolatry. In 1 Corinthians 10:9, we are also being told that they tempted or tried the Lord and the Lord in this case is told to us as Jesus Himself. He is the Great I Am of Sinai. This is why in Matthew 23:37-38 Jesus laments over Jerusalem concerning them killing the prophets. Jesus is looking at their entire history and not just the present. (Mat 23:37-38 KJV) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! {38} Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. Then a few verses before in Matthew 23:34, we read that it was Jesus who sent the prophets which means that He is confirming that He is the Great I Am who directed the wanderings of Israel in the desert. (Mat 23:34 KJV) Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: When the modern versions remove “Christ” and replace His name with the generic “kurion” or Lord, they are denying an important teaching that Christ was the one who guided Israel and brought them through the wilderness. It is another attack on the doctrine of Christ. When they remove this information, they are removing Christ’s involvement with the nation of Israel in the Old Testament. Christ came through the nation of Israel and therefore He was guiding His own lineage.

Previous verse listings at www.scionofzion.com/kjv_1611_yahoo.htm

(2 Th 3:13 KJV)  But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
Visit Scion of Zion Internet Ministry - www.scionofzion.com
Friends don't let friends read the NIV, NASV, ESV, RSV, NKJV, HCSB, etc.
www.scionofzion.com/translations.htm

__._,_.___

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
A few translations that properly translate 'Christos' of 1Cor 10:9 as "Christ" (rather than use those few manuscripts with Κυριον "Lord" are):

LITV,
MKJV
Murdock
YLT
KJV
ESV
EMTV
CEV

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Trotter

• "We are The Light of the World"
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:17 AM »
A few translations that properly translate 'Christos' of 1Cor 10:9 as "Christ" (rather than use those few manuscripts with Κυριον "Lord" are):

LITV,
MKJV
Murdock
YLT
KJV
ESV
EMTV
CEV

john

And few Christians have heard of any of them except for the King James Version and the Modern King James Version. Not that anyone "really" needed a modern King James.  Maybe Young's Literal Translation is a little known, but inside of the mainstream, these other translations are pretty much a non factor. The main Bible by a large margin today is the NIV.  A boil on Christian's backside. Few of the modern translations are faithful representations of the word of God. And paraphrases aren't Bibles in my view. My point is, it's not paraphrases and the NIV, it's the  people who want them. The error lies with man, not with books.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »
The main Bible by a large margin today is the NIV. 

I prefer the BIBE or Bible in Basic English, but the NIV, by all modern expert scholastic standards and agreement, is the best and most easily understandable bible that you can get. using the oldest and therefore best manuscripts, it surpasses these old Bibles that weren't so carefully put together. That's why it is so popular with most Christians and nearly all Church groups. Beside for the catholic Church, it is the Bible of choice. Whether you like that or not is not important. What is important, is that a minority of people can't force educated Christians to use the old outdated KJV, and that is a good thing.

PURITAN HEART

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
 NEW VERSE:

1 Corinthians 14:25

(KJV) And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
(1611 KJV) And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest, and so falling downe on his face, hee will worship God, and report that God is in you of a trueth.
(1560 Geneva Bible) And so are the secrets of his heart made manifest, and so he will fall downe on his face and worship God, and say plainely that God is in you in deede.
(1526 Tyndale) and so are ye secretes of his hert opened and so falleth he doune on his face and worshippeth God and sayth yt God is wt you in dede.

Counterfeit Versions

(1881 RV) the secrets of his heart are made manifest; and so he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.
(1901 ASV) the secrets of his heart are made manifest; and so he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.
(NIV) as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”
(NASV) the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
(THE MESSAGE) the plain words will bring them up against the truth and probe their hearts. Before you know it, they're going to be on their faces before God, recognizing that God is among you.
(AMP) The secrets of his heart are laid bare; and so, falling on [his] face, he will worship God, declaring that God is among you in very truth.
(NLT) As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”
(ESV) the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.
(CEV) They will tell what is hidden in their hearts. Then they will kneel down and say to God, "We are certain that you are with these people."
(NCV) The secret things in their hearts will be made known. So they will bow down and worship God saying, "Truly, God is with you."
(HCSB) The secrets of his heart will be revealed, and as a result he will fall down on his face and worship God, proclaiming, "God is really among you."
(NIRV) The secrets of their hearts will be brought out into the open. They will fall down and worship God. They will exclaim, "God is really here among you!"
(RSV) the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.
(NAB-Roman Catholic) and the secrets of his heart will be disclosed, and so he will fall down and worship God, declaring, "God is really in your midst."
(NWT-Jehovah’s Witnesses) the secrets of his heart become manifest, so that he will fall upon [his] face and worship God, declaring: “God is really among YOU.”

και ουτως τα κρυπτα της καρδιας αυτου φανερα γινεται και ουτως πεσων επι προσωπον προσκυνησει τω θεω απαγγελλων οτι ο θεος οντως εν υμιν εστιν

κρυπτα της καρδιας αυτου φανερα γινεται και ουτως πεσων επι προσωπον προσκυνησει τω θεω απαγγελλων οτι οντως ο θεος εν υμιν εστιν

Corrupted Manuscripts

Manuscripts which agree with the Textus Receptus on this verse

D 06 - Paris: Claromontanus - Sixth century (corrected)
K 018 - Ninth century
L 020 - Ninth century

Published Critical Greek Texts with Corruptions Omit “And thus”

Greisbach, Johann - 1805
Lachmann, Karl - 1842
Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
Westcott and Hort - 1881

Affected Teaching

This is a very important omission because it connects verse 24 with 25. In verse 24, Paul is speaking about prophesying which is the preaching of the true gospel and that it is superior to the speaking in tongues. If a person comes into the assembly and hears the true preaching of the Gospel, he will be convicted in his heart and will then worship God. Now the omission of “and thus” is what separates the two verses, when in essence they need to be connected by the conjunction and adverb. In the Greek text, the words which are missing are “kai houtos” which means “in this manner, in this way, without further ado.” Now let us connect the verses using these important words.

(1 Cor 14:24-25 KJV)

But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: {25} And thus [in this manner] are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
Here we see that the proclamation of the true gospel will bring about repentance in a person. So what God is telling us here is that, in this manner, when the true Gospel is proclaimed or preached, it will then have the desired effect of convicting a person of sin. The idea of just having a band, repetitive choruses, and a watered down sermon, will never bring about the convicting of a person of their sin. God is telling us straight that the true Gospel is the only way a person can become convicted. He is also telling us that it is only “in this way” that the proclamation of the Gospel will be effective. The modern versions omit these words and makes it sound like there is no catalyst for a person to become convicted in their hearts about their sin. The catalyst is the true preaching of the convicting Gospel and in this manner, people will become saved.

(2 Th 3:13 KJV)  But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.

__,_._,___

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
Versions that correctly followed the Majority Text in 1Cor 10:9 ("Christ" vs. "Lord") and also correctly translated 1Cor 14:25 ("And so" vs omitted):

LITV
MKJV
YLT
KJV (and subsidiaries like the 21st Century KJV)
EMTV
NKJV

These three followed the older (and corrupt) manuscripts this time, though they followed the MT prior to this:

Murdock
ESV
CEV

Of the top seven selling Bibles (by number sold and profit) only two are based on better texts (in bold). Not surprisingly they are the KJV and NKJV. The KJV has a long, long history and the NKJV borrows on this name recognition. So there are many people who own a reliable translation - now if there was some way to get them to actually read it.

NIV, KJV, NKJV, NLT, ESV, HCSB, and The Message Bible.

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

PURITAN HEART

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
NEW VERSE:

Galatians 4:24

(KJV) Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
(1611 KJV) Which things are an Allegorie; for these are the two Couenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
(1560 Geneva Bible) By the which things another thing is ment: for these mothers are the two testaments, the one which is Agar of mount Sina, which gendreth vnto bondage.

Counterfeit Versions

(1881 RV) Which things contain an allegory: for these women are two covenants; one from mount Sinai, bearing children unto bondage, which is Hagar.
(1901 ASV) Which things contain an allegory: for these women are two covenants; one from mount Sinai, bearing children unto bondage, which is Hagar.
(NIV) These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.
(NASV) This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar.
(THE MESSAGE) The two births represent two ways of being in relationship with God. One is from Mount Sinai in Arabia. It corresponds with what is now going on in Jerusalem—a slave life, producing slaves as offspring. This is the way of Hagar.
(NLT) These two women serve as an illustration of God’s two covenants. The first woman, Hagar, represents Mount Sinai where people received the law that enslaved them.
(AMP) Now all this is an allegory; these [two women] represent two covenants. One covenant originated from Mount Sinai [where the Law was given] and bears [children destined] for slavery; this is Hagar.
(ESV) Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.
(CEV) All of this has another meaning as well. Each of the two women stands for one of the agreements God made with his people. Hagar, the slave woman, stands for the agreement that was made at Mount Sinai. Everyone born into her family is a slave.
(RSV) Now this is an allegory: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.
(NAB-Roman Catholic) Now this is an allegory. These women represent two covenants. One was from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; this is Hagar.
(NWT-Jehovah’s Witnesses) These things stand as a symbolic drama; for these [women] mean two covenants, the one from Mount Si´nai, which brings forth children for slavery, and which is Ha´gar.

ατινα εστιν αλληγορουμενα αυται γαρ εισιν αι δυο διαθηκαι μια μεν απο ορους σινα εις δουλειαν γεννωσα ητις εστιν αγαρ

ατινα εστιν αλληγορουμενα αυται γαρ εισιν δυο διαθηκαι μια μεν απο ορους σινα εις δουλειαν γεννωσα ητις εστιν αγαρ

Corrupted Manuscripts

Byzantine - 450-1450 A.D.*
K 018 - Ninth century
L 020 - Ninth century
P 025 - Ninth century

*The Byzantine Text was not a corrupted manuscript as it was the forerunner of the King James Bible but in this case the word is missing in this verse.

Aleph 01 - Sinaiticus - Fourth century (corrected)

Omits “the” before “two covenants”
Greisbach, Johann - 1805
Lachmann, Karl - 1842
Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
Westcott and Hort - 1881
Hodges and Farstad - Majority Text
Nestle-Aland - 1993 - Twenty Seventh Edition

Affected Teaching

Here is a case of one small word changing the entire understanding of this verse and the section in view. God made only two covenants, the one from Sinai which was the first and the covenant of Grace which was the second and final one. The word “the” is a definite article which means that this verse is pointing to the fact that God had made only two covenants. This is important because about 2 years ago, I heard a man on the radio claiming that God was dissatisfied with the second covenant and therefore made a third covenant. This is impossible since the final covenant of grace was to cover all the saved and third covenant was unnecessary. This would also be blasphemous because the second covenant was instituted by Christ via His sacrifice upon Calvary. God was pleased with that sacrifice, raised Him from the dead and now every believer is covered by the grace of God. This verse in the modern versions, leaves room for a third covenant because there is no definite article emphasizing the fact that God made only two covenants. The modern versions leave the door open for all kind of spurious additions and interpretations and we wonder why the church is in such disarray.

(2 Th 3:13 KJV)  But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
The Bible does not Guarantee May 21, 2011!!

PURITAN HEART

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
NEW VERSE:

Ephesians 1:18

(KJV) The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

(1611 KJV) The eyes of your vnderstanding being inlightned: that yee may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glorie of his inheritance in the Saints:

(1560 Geneva Bible) That the eyes of your vnderstanding may be lightened, that ye may knowe what the hope is of his calling, and what the riches of his glorious inheritance is in the Saints,

(1526 Tyndale) and lighten the eyes of youre myndes yt ye myght knowe what that hope is where vnto he hath called you and what the riches of his glorious inheritaunce is apon the sainctes

Counterfeit Versions
(1881 RV) having the eyes of your heart enlightened, that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
(1901 ASV) having the eyes of your heart enlightened, that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
(NIV) I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,
(NASV) I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
(THE MESSAGE) your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers,
(AMP) By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones),
(NLT) I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
(ESV) having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
(CEV) My prayer is that light will flood your hearts and that you will understand the hope that was given to you when God chose you. Then you will discover the glorious blessings that will be yours together with all of God's people.
(NCV) I pray also that you will have greater understanding in your heart so you will know the hope to which he has called us and that you will know how rich and glorious are the blessings God has promised his holy people.
(HCSB) [I pray] that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints,
(RSV) having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
(NAB-Roman Catholic) May the eyes of (your) hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones,
(NWTY-Jehovah’s Witnesses) the eyes of YOUR heart having been enlightened, that YOU may know what is the hope to which he called YOU, what the glorious riches are which he holds as an inheritance for the holy ones,

πεφωτισμενους τους οφθαλμους της διανοιας υμων εις το ειδεναι υμας τις εστιν η ελπις της κλησεως αυτου και τις ο πλουτος της δοξης της κληρονομιας αυτου εν τοις αγιοις

πεφωτισμενους τους οφθαλμους της καρδιας υμων εις το ειδεναι υμας τις εστιν η ελπις της κλησεως αυτου τις ο πλουτος της δοξης της κληρονομιας αυτου εν τοις αγιοις

Corrupted Manuscripts
K 018 - Ninth century
L 020 - Ninth century
P 025 - Ninth century
Byzantine Text (450-1450 A.D.)*

*The Byzantine Text was not a corrupted manuscript as it was the forerunner of the King James Bible but in this case the word heart was used in this verse.

Stephanus - 1550-4

Reads “heart” instead of “understanding”
Greisbach, Johann - 1805
Lachmann, Karl - 1842
Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
Hodges and Farstad - Majority Text
Westcott and Hort - 1881

Affected Teaching

The word for “understanding” carries with it the meaning of “mind, intellect, or disposition.” It is the word “dianoia.” If you break down the word, you will have two Greek words “dia” means through or by, and “noia” which means mind. Have you ever heard someone say they are beside themselves? That would be the word paranoia made up of two Greek words. They are “para” means “beside or called to be beside, and “noia” mind. The word “dianoia” as used in Ephesians 1:18 carries with it the meaning of “the mind as the seat of emotions and desire.” It is through the mind or the intellect in which we have our understanding. The mind is where the Holy Spirit illuminates the words of Scripture and gives us understanding. In Ephesians 4:18 we see the same principle but opposite. (Eph 4:18 KJV) Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: The unbeliever has a darkened understanding because they are unregenerate.

Part of our salvation inheritance is an enlightened mind which causes us to ponder things for two reasons: 1) to avoid sin and sinful situations, and 2) to be obedient to God. Do not be intimidated by those who put down the enlightened intellects God gives us in salvation. I have had numerous conversations with people who claim the intellect is not needed. I call them spiritual dummies because they are very bad testimonies for Christianity. They cannot hold a decent biblical conversation nor can they really give a reason for the hope that is within them. God is not glorified by Christians who choose to stay dumb thinking that is a form of humility. We are to use every faculty God gave us to His glory and for the defense of the Gospel and the dissemination of that Gospel. It is so paradoxical for a Christian to be very astute in their worldly profession and then spiritually illiterate for the Lord. Let me just say that God does save apart from the intellect as in the case of those who are mentally handicapped or a very young person but if He gives us a good mind, we are to use it to His glory. (1 Cor 13:11 KJV) When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

(2 Th 3:13 KJV)  But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.

__._,_.___

Red

• Galatians 2:16
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
Who Killed Goliath in your Bible?

Just about every child in America over the age of five and most of the people of the world, who know very little of the scriptures~understands that that David killed the gaint Goliath. Every sport writer will use the phrase "David slew Goliath"~when there is a major upset in a sporting event.

Yet, most Bible translations say that Elhanan killed Goliath!

THe NIV says that Elhanan killed Goliath.......

"In another battle with the Philistines at Gob, Elhanan son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite killed Gliath the Gittite, who had a spear with a shaft like a weaver's rod." (11 Sam. 21:19

Try other translations, and you will find the same answer~Elhanan. If fact, try Masoretic Hebrew text~Elhanan again!

What is the problem? Education is put above the Holy Ghost! Translators love of money more than God, so they copy each other's lies, to protect their jobs and keep new versions coming out every year or so. This verse was correctly transtalted 400 years ago in the KJV, but translators would have to get a real job, if they endorsed the KJV.

"And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the BROTHER OF GOLIATH, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam." (11 Sam. 21:19)

Our Lord said that the scriptures cannot be broken`JOHN 10:35. iF YOUR BIBLE WAS BROKEN BY THIS SIMPLE QUESTION, YOU NEED TO GET RID OF IT, now! For the Lord has shown to you that it is NOT HIS WORD!.

Red Baker
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Red

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
The New King James Version~Condemns itself as being a faud!

NKJV of 1982...

Galatians 3:16

"Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, "And to seeds, as of many, but as of one, "And to your seed," who is Christ."

Genesis 22:17~NKJV

Blessing I will bless you, and mutiplying I will multiply YOUR DESCENDANTS as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and YOUR DESCENDANTS shall possess the gate of their enemies."

The NKJV changed the OT to "descendants," contradicting Paul's argument, making salvation by race rather than by free Grace ! By doing that, they are declaring its own OT IS NOT THE WORDS OF GOD! The scriptures are not only the Word of God, but they are the very wordS of God! Every single word is JUST as God spoke them. By faith we believe this. This is a classic example of that. We have thirty four  more that we could give, if this is not enough.

Red Baker
"And he shewed me a pure river of water, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."~Revelation 22:1

In the world to come~there WILL BE "pure pleasures"~river/tree=all that is needed to sustain us Forever! Joy, peace, contentment in its fullest, etc.

Red

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Thomas Nelson Publishers renamed their KJV the NKJV, because they needed a new name for copyright purposes, and they were pandering to a evil generation that wants a new religion rather than the old Paths~Jer. 6:16.  Their false version is certainly new with new words and doctrines and a new emphases for a new kind of Christian~The Man of Sin, spoken of by Paul. One that Christ spoke of in Matthew 24:15; Paul in 2Thess. 2 and John in his epistle and Revelation. It is the perilous times of the last days. God's elect will not be deceived thereby. For the English speaking people of this world~our true bread is the KJV, that is what we live by and trust in.

Red Baker

Red

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:02 AM »
The NKJV was copyrighted as a moneymaking scheme of Thomas (not related to the Apostle Thomas!) Nelson Publishers. They sole the name of a king and a Bible in the public domain, plagiarizing work previously done, and copyrighted it for their financial advantage and perpetual income for years to come. IF they had hearts for the truth even a fraction of Tyndale and the translators of the KJV, they would give their Bibles away or, in the worst case, sell them for cost.  But they sell it for profit right along with the NCV, the NAB, the NRSV, and the ICB.

Red Baker

PURITAN HEART

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
The New King James Version~Condemns itself as being a faud!

This is a classic example of that. We have thirty four  more that we could give, if this is not enough.

Red Baker

Hello Brother Red,
I personally have appreciated your comments and with regard to your mention of the additional examples of these errors in ''other translations'' might I please request that you do post them. Whilst there are those of us who do LOVE our KJV Bibles, and do not need any convincing, as a beginner in the serious study of the scriptures, much of this information is still new for myself, and I believe it might too be beneficial for others who also are seeking the TRUTH of God's HOLY WRITTEN WORD to us, His Beloved Ones.

I thank you  :)
Alexandra

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]